• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pagan Stuff Under Later Christian Altars?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
I'm sure this came up in a thread fairly recently.

Just finished listening to this documentary on Folk Horror from the BBC; looks like a special for Halloween this year.

I /think/ the narrator/producer Simon Hollis is playing straight. Maybe. Towards the end he mentions that "the place he was born" had a Devil's Den Wood and what sounds like a Norman church... and then when it was excavated they found "pagan" artifacts below the altar.

Starts lots of hares for me but can somone else listen and decide if this is a genuine reference, or a bit of flummery? :) Pretty please?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009t4q

Towards the end he mentions that "the place he was born" had a Devil's Den Wood and what sounds like a Norman church... and then when it was excavated they found "pagan" artifacts below the altar.

Starts lots of hares for me but can somone else listen and decide if this is a genuine reference, or a bit of flummery? :) Pretty please?

A quick Google reveals that there is a Glory Wood and Devil’s Den near Dorking in Surrey.

Close by is the Norman church of St. Michael and All Angels at Mickleham.

I have no idea whether this is the place to which the chap refers, but it might merit further investigation.

maximus otter

I'm sure this came up in a thread fairly recently... I /think/ the narrator/producer Simon Hollis is playing straight. Maybe. Towards the end he mentions that "the place he was born" had a Devil's Den Wood and what sounds like a Norman church... and then when it was excavated they found "pagan" artifacts below the altar.
Well, certainly as recent as fifteen years ago (though of course it may have turned up since :) ). Thread featuring this motif here. Covers this and Sheela-na-gig. Interesting exchange of views.

I will have to remember to go Dorking in Surrey next time I am in Blighty, as I have never dorked before (at least not in public). On the other hand I have heard about Google dorking, but I don't know how to do it yet.

l’ll bet you’ve never tried Kipling either.

maximus otter

Back