• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pain on contact with metal objects.

A

Anonymous

Has anyone experienced a sharp pain when holding a metal object (eg keys, holding onto metal railings)?

This used to happen to me quite frequently, the pain would feel deep inside my finger(s) on contact and remain for some time afterwards. It didn't happen every time I touched something metal, but enough to make me still think about it now.
I also remember at the time I was very aware of the taste of metal (no I didn't eat it, and I was young at the time), for example when using cutlery. I'm not allergic to anything and the symptoms are far removed (as far as I know - no swelling, irritation, redness etc) from an allergy.

I'd appriciate any feedback.
Thanks.

Do you get any visions popping into your head when it happens? A friend of mine has the same thing happen and he can see images of other people who have come in contact with the metal object. He acturately describe my great grandmother when he picked up her ring, she died with it on and he said he got a stab of pain when he picked it up.

I seem to hold a lot of static electricity (you should see what happens when I wear a digital watch for a few days).

I sometimes get a static shock when I touch metal which can make my hand go numb. Never tasted metal though.

Yes. When I was young (around 6) I started tasting cutlery too, and it was absolutely repulsive. At the same time I stopped liking the taste of beef, which also made me feel physically sick. Happily I can now enjoy both cutlery and beef, often at the same time.

As for weird things concerning metal, I remember touching a rusty metal pole on the beach when I was about the same age, and it made a little cut on my thumb, which stayed there until I was about 15. There's still a tiny hardly-visible red patch there... weird :)

Is it anything like the pain you get biting tinfoil with teeth with metal fillings in? I have heard that is due to an electric current occurring between the different types of metal setting off the nerve in the tooth . I wonder if the same type of thing is happening with you?

The same thing happened to me Taras. When I was around five or six I could taste the metal in the cutlery and couldn't eat meat any more. Doesn't happen now, and I've just gone back to eating meat. Weird.

i've had some weird reactions with metal spoons. i was eating pecan pie with one and i think there was a chemical reaction between the karo syrup and metal becaause the only thing i could taste was metal/steel/etc...it was the most offputting taste. when i used the spoon with something else, the effects subsided. i think it has to do with the level of acids, bases and electromagnetic charges.

i also know what you are talking about when you mean pain from touching metal. humans have strange reactions with metals inside and out. people that have high levels of iron in their blood and diet say they can pick up transmissions in the air.

Now to totally derail this thread: :p

I hear tell that the wee people don't like the touch of iron. Possibly there's a changeling in your family tree, JMcKeith. :eek!!!!:

Myself, I'm one of those people with an 'electric' personality. I can't touch a car or doornob without getting a mild zap -- even in the dense humity of a Florida summer.

Am I right in thinking that a changeling is someone who can change form? If it is (excuse my ignorance) it's not what I had.

What is the changeling connection?

I dont want to blast all these imaginative theories out into the void of oblivion but....here goes anyway:

It sounds very like you are simply allergic to non-precious metals. (i.e Silver and gold) Other metals can cause pain and rashes on contact with the skin whereas gold and silver do not. Many people only realise it when they come to buy jewelry.

Many people find the feeling of metal unpleasant in the mouth and they do associate a taste with cutlery.

Does any of this make sense to you?

A changeling is a child who has been stolen by the fairies and replaced with one of their own.
The fairie folk are vulnerable to the touch of iron.

I'd keep that theory on the backburner if i was you ;)

i know what you mean st. clair. my mum is allergic to non-precious metals.
at first i thought it was a cheecky way to ensure she had a posh watch (that had to use gold for the screws) but after seeing the nasty rash a pair of gold earings (with cheap fixer on bit) gave her a soon relented.

Back