• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pancake Day

Spudrick68 said:
When I moved to Lancaster (30 miles north), they had never heard of butter pies. I did assume it was a Lancashire thing, and specifically a Preston thing. The name Preston apparently originates from Priest town. The other Preston delicacy are parched peas, delicious on a cold winters day, sat on the flag market, a tub of parched peas with vinegar on.

On this note I have found a link with a recipe for parched peas.

:)

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/fo ... ed%20Peas/

Is this what we call peas pudding in the north east?

Butter pies are a favourite in the Chorley area where i live, 10 mile south of Preston but head towards Wigan and ask for one and you'll get some strange looks.

Parched peas are boiled black peas (the type of pea we used to use in pea shooters when i was a child, pigeon peas we called them in those days).

http://www.information-britain.co.uk/fo ... ed%20Peas/

Butter pies are fantastic...give the peas a wide berth though.

Time to bump this thread, just one day shy of ten years after the last post!

As a wheat-dodger, I will probably use one of the packs of "Gluten Free Yorkshire Pudding" mixes, which I have in stock. They make fairly rotten Yorkshires tbh but I hope to keep my frying-pan smoking-hot and give them a second chance to shine as pancakes.

I have made decent pancakes without wheat: half buckwheat and half rice-flour, iirc. If these supposedly purpose-made batter-mixes don't shape up, I may go back to that and not wait for a festival!

Now, was rynner's OP unduly pessimistic or have we lost the art of the pancake? :omr:

I have made decent pancakes without wheat: half buckwheat and half rice-flour, iirc. If these supposedly purpose-made batter-mixes don't shape up, I may go back to that and not wait for a festival!

I made pancakes indistinguishable from the real thing by using Dove's Farm gluten free flour. Though Buckwheat pancakes are nice too.

I love pancakes and have them for breakfast every Sunday. Though I had them on Saturday most recently as I will be having them tonight and don't want to overdose. I have a cast iron pan so no flipping. I turn them over with a spatula.

For all of you gluten free people & the just plain curious, you could always try this. Available on my local Woolworths shelves (haven't tried it though & not likely to).
cricket.jpg

For all of you gluten free people & the just plain curious, you could always try this. Available on my local Woolworths shelves (haven't tried it though & not likely to).
View attachment 24001
'Better for the environment'.
Reminds me of 'recycled food: it's good for the environment and OK for you'.

Sorry if this post is out of Season - no not sorry, I have no affection for pancakes at all. Except the ones my Father made from grated potato and this one time I made pancakes with ice cream and black cherry pie filling.
Anyway, according to Buckinghamshire Curiosities by John Lucas what I was reading last night, the Pancake Race was a tradition that may have started in Olney (near Milton Keynes/ Newport Pagnell) at least as far back as 1445. The race was started by the bell of the town crier and the housewives ran the 415 yards from the Market Place to the church, each having to toss and catch her pancake three times. The winner got a prayer book and a kiss from the sexton.:D
Up to this day only women from Olney are allowed to compete and only girls in the children race.

I do like pancakes and had no problem making them, until last time I tried a few weeks ago and basically made flour scrambled eggs. Can't explain it, I'd totally lost the ability.

I do like pancakes and had no problem making them, until last time I tried a few weeks ago and basically made flour scrambled eggs. Can't explain it, I'd totally lost the ability.

I'm not confident that if I start pancakes I won't end up Yorkshire pudding (and possibly vice versa)

Just blame it on 2020. 2020 is a bad year, so it's really no reflection on you, GNC.
In a few months, everything will be fine. Unless we're all dead.

I'm very happy this thread got bumped and then added to "out of season" because it taught me that foxes prefer pancakes to dead chickens! Who knew?

Getting back to the original topic (sort of) even though it's out of season, Polish Americans don't celebrate Pancake Day on Shrove Tuesday; they celebrate Pączki Day. Pączki (singular pączek) are very rich Polish donuts filled with jelly or other sweet stuff. The idea, though, is the same - stuff yourself before Lent. In Poland the drive to do so is even stronger, as they tend to start the pączki eating on the Thursday before, beginning a week of gluttonous preparation for the season of sacrifice.

Back