• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pant-Wettingly Scary Public Information Films

that would have stopped me ever doing anything stupid.

I knew of it only by repute - until tonight! It is an amazing bit of film-making that would not stand any chance of being made today.

Partly because some twonk would object to the length of some of the shots - especially the entry into the tunnel, which is magnificently conceived and justifies its length, even as we study the hairstyles of the cannon-fodder. Mainly because of the death of irony: twonks would insist the film was merely an instruction-manual for f'wits! As indeed it is. To be honest, despite its traumatic impact, I wonder if, even back in the day, it might have given ideas to the idea-less. Then there is the blood! OK, it's obviously been smeared on those juvenile legs - did Savile get that gig? Yet blood was mainly kept off the screen, in those days, apart from X-certificate fare, such as The Wild Bunch. Many kids would not have been inured to it, as I fear many, raised on violent video-games, are today. :thought:

Last edited:
There was a road safety advert about 10 year ago that still makes an impression on me.
" Like most victims Julie knew her killer ... after crushing her to death, he sat back down"

also

There was a PIF about the danger of placing a loose rug on a polished floor, where a proud mother carries her newborn baby into to the house and the rug slips under her feet.

There's a dramatic slapsticky fall accompanied by screams and the narrator's rather smug comment about them having just come FROM the hospital.

Another PIF was about not carrying babies in the front seats of cars.
I seem to remember the rug-PIF mother being seen doing exactly that, not to mention around the same time watching Princess Di being collected from hospital carrying the newborn Prince William in the front of the big posh car.

There was a PIF about the danger of placing a loose rug on a polished floor, where a proud mother carries her newborn baby into to the house and the rug slips under her feet.
Many years ago, my Dad laid some wooden flooring in the hallway and he varnished the surface. On its own, it was fine.
However, my Mum insisted on putting a rug on it.
After I'd had a few falls and picked up bruises, I pointed out that it wasn't the wisest decision. In the end, my Dad sanded off the varnish and my Mum removed the rug. The wood is still bare to this day.

There's a dramatic slapsticky fall accompanied by screams and the narrator's rather smug comment about them having just come FROM the hospital.

Another PIF was about not carrying babies in the front seats of cars.
I seem to remember the rug-PIF mother being seen doing exactly that, not to mention around the same time watching Princess Di being collected from hospital carrying the newborn Prince William in the front of the big posh car.

It's not the new mother who slips, it's her husband - he'd "only just come from the hospital" to pick her and the baby up to take them home.

See here:

She did seem to have been carrying the baby in the front seat, though, but it's difficult to tell, you don't see them drive up.

It's not the new mother who slips, it's her husband - he'd "only just come from the hospital" to pick her and the baby up to take them home.

See here:

She did seem to have been carrying the baby in the front seat, though, but it's difficult to tell, you don't see them drive up.
Ewww, thank you for reminding me.

That's OK! For some reason a lot of people see this as a comedy PIF, but I don't think it's supposed to be.

That's OK! For some reason a lot of people see this as a comedy PIF, but I don't think it's supposed to be.
Rewatching that, I realise I've misremembered nearly everything about it. Didnt even know about the mantrap. How weird.

Oh yes, that's the one. We'd just moved away from near a railway line to a village with no train links for a good 10 miles, but that would have stopped me ever doing anything stupid.
Yes it is the same video.
I guess you are overseas because the link I posted work for me in the UK.

There was a road safety advert about 10 year ago that still makes an impression on me.
" Like most victims Julie knew her killer ... after crushing her to death, he sat back down"

Julie knew her killer is brutal, and makes me wince even now.

You don't know terror until you've experienced the Northern Ireland road safety adverts. Watch and weep...

Mind you, NI also had an interesting series of 'dont be a terrorist' adverts too. Not for the faint hearted...

Rewatching that, I realise I've misremembered nearly everything about it. Didnt even know about the mantrap. How weird.

There's a lesson here about memories not being as reliable as we would prefer, but I'm not sure what it is - probably involves the dreaded Mandela Effect.

Or your "brain is not your friend" syndrome--there should be a PIF about that.

Disco road safety with (I think) Rodney Bewes:

OK, not that scary. But it is one I don't recognise.

See here:

I remember that one!

This is like folk horror, except it's about cars:

Three road safety ones here, but the first one's most important because it stars Joe Brown WITH A DIFFERENT HAIRSTYLE!

That means he's had two hairstyles in his life. I thought the spiky one was natural.

There was a resurgence of Whooping Cough in the 1970's and the campaign for encouraging vaccination included a 30 second slot on radio with just the sound of an young infected kid coughing and fighting for breath. I didn't hear the broadcast but I do remember the outcry from distressed listeners - so the campaign was dropped.

it is horrifying

Aimed at drivers, aired after the watershed, when younger viewers were meant to be tucked away?

Supposing a young one was up that late . . .

Japes in the wood with strangers? Bad thing . . . Noo! We all get squashed anyway!

Give up now: if the perverts don't get you, the cars will! :willy:

Here's an Irish one about killer dogs:

New to me, obviously, but very Plague Dogs in execution.

Back