• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Pant-Wettingly Scary Public Information Films

I can remember in the early seventies - when I would have been about 7 maybe - our school herded us all into the dining room and showed us a film (shown via a cine-projector) concerning what we would now call `Stranger-danger`.

It was telling us to be wary of paedophiles - a word which was not used then - who might prey on us in public spaces like parks by offering sweets and so on. The people concerned were portrayed as weird, single people - all male, if I recall. (The now commonplace idea that such abuse happens within the family was not entered upon).

The film was a rather scary one to be showing to such young kids. One scene in particular is branded on my mind. It showed a young girl - naked (I think this must have somehow be implied rather than directly shown) and cowering against a wall while the shadow of a man could be seen moving towards her.

I didn't really understand at that age what the programme was trying to imply, but I did get the message that there were some sinister adults lurking around out there.The film affected me to the extent that I had an excessive fear of random people in the streets for quite some time after that (In those days it was quite normal for a child to walk two or three miles to school unaccompanied by an adult and to go out on long walks, likewise with only peers for company, to play at the weekends).

This seems of note to me as it shows that there is nothing much new under the sun. The current paranoia around paedophilia seems to have existed, in some form, a good fifty or so years back and is not as contemporary as we might think. Or was that when it was all getting started?

And I ferverently believe that these kinds of Public Safety Warnings can do as much harm as they do good - both then and now.I never had any experiences with paedophiles when I was a kid - but my young mind was for sure darkened by these kinds of images put before me by well intentioned people.

I remember watching that one too in school or something very similar anyway. Like you, I don't think I fully understood the implications. I actually found the policeman who came in and introduced the film far more frightening.

When I was in Junior School (years 3 to 6 for the young’uns), Greater Manchester Fire Brigade used to visit the school every year near bonfire night and show us photos of burn victims in the hope that it would deter us from playing near bonfires and fireworks. It was pretty horrific to be honest. I‘m not sure it would be allowed now. My fondest memory of these visits was when the fireman (it was a man) showed a picture of a boy who had burned his bottom falling on a fire. Rather than having the desired affect of giving a sports-hall full of Pre-teens nightmares for the next three months, the whole school burst into fits of laughter at a two metre wide bare arse projected onto the sports-hall wall.

Remember that time when Superman murdered a guy for smoking?

I‘d forgotten all about that, but there must have been some lingering memory as I now know why whenever I see Superman on TV I say “It’s Superman, Hooray!”

I‘d forgotten all about that, but there must have been some lingering memory as I now know why whenever I see Superman on TV I say “It’s Superman, Hooray!”
Yes, because Superman is a 'murderer-u-like'. :)

a picture of a boy who had burned his bottom falling on a fire.

In the same area, during the 1960s, I clearly recall a cautionary interview on the Look North regional news show, which featured a young lad and his mum. The mum mainly nodded.

I paraphrase the exchange, which was difficult to forget:

"Now, Billy, you have something to say to all those girls and boys out there, who want to celebrate Bonfire Night safely, don't you?"
"Yes."
"What is it?"
"Don't put fireworks in your pocket!"
"Last year, you did that, didn't you, Billy?"
"Yes."
"What happened to that rocket in your pocket?"
"It went off."
"Oh dear! I suppose that hurt a lot."
"Yes!"
"And there's something else you want to say to the boys and girls."
"Yes. I can't have babies!"
"Thank you, Billy! Now over to Stuart Hall, who is wearing a funny hat!" :oops:

They did not call it the Darwin Awards in those days.

In the same area, during the 1960s, I clearly recall a cautionary interview on the Look North regional news show, which featured a young lad and his mum. The mum mainly nodded.

I paraphrase the exchange, which was difficult to forget:

"Now, Billy, you have something to say to all those girls and boys out there, who want to celebrate Bonfire Night safely, don't you?"
"Yes."
"What is it?"
"Don't put fireworks in your pocket!"
"Last year, you did that, didn't you, Billy?"
"Yes."
"What happened to that rocket in your pocket?"
"It went off."
"Oh dear! I suppose that hurt a lot."
"Yes!"
"And there's something else you want to say to the boys and girls."
"Yes. I can't have babies!"
"Thank you, Billy! Now over to Stuart Hall, who is wearing a funny hat!" :oops:

They did not call it the Darwin Awards in those days.
Classic local news segway :hahazebs:

Classic local news segway :hahazebs:

3e704b39db1b2f6fe62007a229bd04e5

“Look out, there's a reporter riding a Segway.”

https://www.news.com.au/national/qu...h/news-story/e8f14dacdf075c4be059537fac668ea5

maximus otter

Last edited:
Remember that time when Superman murdered a guy for smoking?

We never really found out what Nicoteen's, superpowers were apart from the power of persuasion. Maybe he could survive rapid acceleration and lack of oxygen? (lack of oxygen obviously).

Anyhow, the big tobacco companies would have scrambled a few helicopters before he left the atmosphere. You don't just throw away your main marketing man.

Can you imagine this add now, not just a little pc.

Screenshot 2019-10-11 at 11.54.52 AM - Edited.png

We never really found out what Nicoteen's, superpowers were apart from the power of persuasion. Maybe he could survive rapid acceleration and lack of oxygen? (lack of oxygen obviously).

Anyhow, the big tobacco companies would have scrambled a few helicopters before he left the atmosphere. You don't just throw away your main marketing man.

I'm afraid Nick burned up on re-entry.

Warning, not explicit, but disturbing:

Maybe scarier for adults than children? Either way, imagine seeing that before Rainbow.

Would you go with a stranger to look at puppies? Play on farmland equipment? Smoke?

If the idea fills you with a strange sense of foreboding, you may have been influenced by the iconic and occasionally eccentric work of the Central Office of Information, whose public safety campaigns, propaganda and health messaging haunt an entire generation, ensuring they’ll never ignore a “no swimming” sign again.

To mark the 75th anniversary of the COI, the BFI, The National Archives and Imperial War Museums invite you to a special event exploring both classic images and surprising campaigns produced by the COI across the decades.

It’s the customs officer Lord Melbury from Fawlty Towers?

After some enjoyable falling down a rabbit-hole established that it's Ben Aris although nothing in his IMDB entry sounds like the thing I 'know' I've seen him in.

And it was Public Information Films like these that made me relieved we could never afford holidays abroad when I was kid - I was somehow convinced that over the channel was a seething mass of rabid foxes and dogs :D

The PIF with the little girl who picks up a spent sparkler by the wrong end gave me a fear of sparklers that has lasted over 40 years.

Back