• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paranormal Events In The Durham Area

A

Anonymous

As a student here in lovely Durham: are there any paranormal-related events or conferences, etc., coming up that I could go to? Being a student, I'm on a strict travel budget...anywhere that the bus or teleportation doesn't go to is out of my price range!!

The only thing that vaguely springs to mind is something about a woman haunting one of the paths from Palace Green to the riverbank. I can't recall any details, I'm afraid, but I'd be stunned if the cathedral & castle don't have any ghosts attached.

I was at Durham Uni a couple of years ago. What department & college are you at? I'd be interested to hear any news.

EDit: Found this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A311347

I must have been thinking about a 'grey lady'

Durham

And I know there was a car park here (the mulistorey one over by the river) that had a force field that stopped a woman parking her car properly...at least, that was HER excuse..

I'm a philosophy sudent, at St. Johns. And you?

Some quick news: Johns is buying Cuths, Cuths is moving off the Bailey, GradSoc is getting new accomodation, and there's a new college being built on the Hill, perhaps to be called Washington College (;() Oh, and we're getting rid of Ustinov as Chancellero. Judi Dench is being offered it instead.

hey

I'm currently at durham and i live in the castle, epicentre of all durham wierdness (apart from Klute). There are regualr ghost hunts at crook hall but apart from that there isnt much nearby.

If you hear of anything be sure to let me know.

Don't know of any events off the top of my head. For what it's worth...

Green Lady in Durham Castle, ghost in The Shakespeare pub are probably the two best known.

Further afield, if you ever happen to be passing: Marsden Grotto pub ghost (South Shields), The Jolly Sailor pub ghost (Whitburn), Hylton Castle ghost (Sunderland).

Another Castleman here (1995-1998). Always thought it was a "Grey Lady" on the Norman Gallery though.

When I lived in the Keep (room K65), there was a tale that one of the college housekeeping staff had seen a cowled figure going down the steps into that weird basement bit right at the bottom of the Keep. Of course most of the Keep is 19th century reconstruction, but that lower bit is very much on the original footings.

Heard the tale about the spectacular suicide that happened in the Cathedral?

Or the one about the skeleton dug up by archaeologists just outside the door of the Cathedral which appeared to have been staked through the heart?

Sepulchrave said:
Heard the tale about the spectacular suicide that happened in the Cathedral?

Or the one about the skeleton dug up by archaeologists just outside the door of the Cathedral which appeared to have been staked through the heart?

No, please tell us more :D

I knew the guy who found the skeleton - Fairly simple mediaeval burial, human skeleton, but with a wooden "stake" seeming as though it had been impaled into the ribcage. We joked about the "Durham Vampire" at the time but who knows? Not sure what mediaeval beliefs about these sorts of things were to be honest.

As for the suicide, this is a second-hand story, but apparently some chap went into the cathedral, ran up to the high altar and cut either his wrists or his throat (can't remember which it was) on the high altar. The altar top in question was removed, and since there are apparently problems with destroying consecrated altars, it's stored up in the triforium at the cathedral.

Back