• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paranormal v Supernatural

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
On a Paranormal / Supernatural website that discusses writing, they state that:

”The paranormal genre includes creatures like zombies, werewolves, aliens, and ghosts, as well as phenomena like telepathy and time travel. “Supernatural” refers to phenomena that are forever outside the realm of scientific explanation, such as god, the afterlife, and the soul”

I recently subscribed to the “Supernatural with Ashley Flowers“ podcast thinking that it would not cover subjects such as UFO’s, Bigfoot and other stuff that doesn’t float my boat, yet the latest release is all about a government task force put together following the Roswell incident.

Does anyone really understand the difference between the Paranormal and the Supernatural?
Do the podcasters understand and should we expect them to when they want us to support them through Patreon or other such fund raising measures?

And where can I go to find a bloody good podcast that doesn’t mention Aliens, UFO’s or Cryptids?

Where do you guys and girlies draw the line between the two subjects?

T63

The terms have become pretty much interchangeable although they do mean different things.

It's difficult to separate things. Bigfoot et al displays both physical and supernatural properties, as do a lot of the cryptids. UFO's have been likened to gods or angels, look at Gilgamesh for example.

I think you'll struggle to find a podcast that doesn't talk about both.

Morning T63 i think they have to cover everything to get people’s attention.
I’m like you and would love to find a podcast that is only for ghosts/supernatural

I prefer to use the word paranormal. When hearing the word supernatural I think more of religious type things, but I see it's used interchangeably these days.

I think you've summed the difference up succinctly as this is exactly how I would explain it to someone myself.

I wonder with all the sightings and experiences of both subjects (that's if you believe in it) why is Paranormal/Supernatural not the normal in life like I can't talk to a ghost or fly in a Spaceship or go to a different Time Slip like I can go to the shops or jump on a plane....why is the weird and the wonderful not at every day access or are we the strange ones and the real life is the Paranormal.

I'm going for a walk now.

I thought "paranormal" was introduced to give a veneer of the scientific to weird shit and supernatural is an older term? As stated above the two seem to be interchangeable nowadays, I doubt the lay person makes any distinction. I've always thought of the supernatural as being ghosts/spirits and paranormal as encapsulating a slightly wider remit.

I wouldn't describe flesh and blood cryptids as being either but it does appear that f the bigger ones do exist they are paranormal/supernatural.

As others have mentioned already, the two terms are commonly interchangeable in everyday casual conversation.

To the extent one can draw distinctions between them, the two terms differ mainly in the presumptions underlying their original definitions and usages.

Supernatural dates back centuries, and it originally implied the action, presence, or influence of something above and beyond nature itself. In its earliest form it specifically referred to God or similarly ephemeral agencies.

Paranormal dates back to the first decade of the 20th century, and it originally implied something odd or abnormal which was unexpected, contrary to, or as yet inexplicable on the basis of natural laws / scientific knowledge.

"Supernatural" implies something is above / beyond mere Nature (our everyday plane of existence; whatever ... ). At the extreme it implies something that is now and will always be beyond the scope of knowledge about Nature (i.e., "science").

"Paranormal" implies something is extraordinary in terms of how it's perceived - e.g., as an oddity, a rarity, a counterexample in everyday experience. However, there's no necessary implication that the extraordinary thing is the result of some factor / agency / actor outside of Nature and hence beyond the scope of potential explanation.

It's rare to find anyone mentioning, much less relying upon, these subtle differences nowadays.

I didn't realise there was ever a difference between the two words. But, as usual, EnolaGaia's insight seems almost preternatural in its depths.
Insight to the Supernatural/Paranormal and why if it exists and why is it so weird and secretive would help us a great deal :(

Back