• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Parasites, Insects, Etc., Infesting The Human Body

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Insect infestation

For when insects and other creepy crawlies get under your skin (literally).

WARNING: May contain unpleasant stories:

From the front page:

The worm turns

May 16, 2004

Two worms measuring 12cm were removed from an eye of a 64-year-old Indian woman by doctors in the southern Indian state of Kerala, the Press Trust of India reported.

The woman, identified only as Amina, had been admitted to hospital complaining of pain and irritation in her eyes.

K S Chandrakanth, a doctor who supervised the operation, said he had seen "something moving" in Amina's right eyeball soon after she came into the hospital.

"The filarial worms had made their way to the lymphatic vessels and were about to migrate to other parts of her body," he said.

"Had the worms gone deeper, she would have probably lost her eyesight," Chandrakanth said, adding that Amina had been discharged from hospital.

He speculated that the worms' larvae might have entered Amina's bloodstream through mosquitoes and had reached the eye through the blood vessels in the fully grown state.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/15/1084571007555.html

Emps

*spits out the Murray Mint she was sucking*

Emperor, please give people some warning!:mad:

Of course, it doesn't say "WARNING: THIS WILL GROSS YOU OUT." It just says, "WARNING." So, I had to read it.

Thought this fitted:

Leech worms way into hiker’s nose

‘Slimy and mobile’ creature difficult to remove
Updated: 1:27 a.m. ET April 8, 2005

HONG KONG - A Hong Kong hiker washed her face in a freshwater stream, not noticing that a leech had wormed its way into one of her nostrils, according to the Hong Kong Medical Journal.

Unaware she was playing host to the creature, the 55-year-old woman only consulted a doctor when her nose started bleeding intermittently about two weeks later.

The unusual case occurred in 2003 but doctors highlighted it in this month’s edition of the journal, where they discussed how to remove live leeches from human nasal passages using anaesthesia.

The first doctor the woman saw could not find anything wrong and it was only when she visited a second doctor that he saw the five-centimeter (two-inch) leech peeking out of her left nostril.

According to the article, doctors only managed to remove the stubborn bloodsucker with forceps after applying anaesthesia to the woman’s nose.

“Direct removal of a live leech might be difficult because of its powerful attachment to the mucosa and its slimy and mobile body,” the journal said.

---------------------
Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited.

Source

What happened to putting salt on it?

Parasitology is a great subject to study for the serious gorehound, and by the way, there is a British leech, Theromyzon tessulatum, that likes to live in the nasal passages of water fowl, given half a chance it would go for humans.

hunh

That's funny,
There's a breed of parasite infesting my country at the moment, right in the executive branch and the fourth estate. must affect the eyes too and that part of the brain that controls eyesight because no one seems to notice the infestation.

Leeches – yeech :cross eye They are the reasons why I avoid certain wildlife parks nearby even though I am a keen jungle trekker! Also I never go trekking after rainy days because that’s why the leeches will be out in full force! Y :cross eye eech! They look like little twigs sticking out of fallen logs and leaves on the jungle floor. But you know they are leeches because they are swaying to and fro hungrily… “bloooood, I need bloooood!”

mynah said:
Leeches – yeech :cross eye They are the reasons why I avoid certain wildlife parks nearby even though I am a keen jungle trekker! Also I never go trekking after rainy days because that’s why the leeches will be out in full force! Y :cross eye eech! They look like little twigs sticking out of fallen logs and leaves on the jungle floor. But you know they are leeches because they are swaying to and fro hungrily… “bloooood, I need bloooood!”

I've read of a leech called Gnathobdella ferox, that actually jumps from a twig onto a passing host!

I've read of a leech called Gnathobdella ferox, that actually jumps from a twig onto a passing host!

The very same! That’s why you should not go too near, though they wave to & fro, beckoning & beckoning….

There was one memorable jungle trek when a leech stealthily attached its nasty self to my brother’s boots. Back home, he grabbed a quick shower in the downstairs bathroom and left his muddy boots in there. I then took my turn in the shower, only to meet the leech right there on the shower floor, hungrily making its way towards me. You all know that feeling don’t you – naked, vulnerable? :shock:

Well there was a lot of yelling, a well lit match & my brother calling me a wimp for weeks afterwards.

anome wrote:

What happened to putting salt on it?

Don't always work. Best is a lighted cigarette. Besides the smoke gets rid of mosquitoes!

Wednesday April 27, 07:54 AM

Doctors remove 50 maggots from man's ears

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Doctors found around 50 maggots in the ears of an 84-year-old Thai man after he went to hospital complaining of an itch.

Wednesday's Nation newspaper said Anan Temtan, who lives in the tsunami-hit southern resort island of Phuket, had used cotton buds to relieve the itching, but had scratched so hard his eardrums ruptured and started bleeding.

"We believe flies might have gone inside his ears to lay eggs, which hatched into larvae and caused the itching," said Somsak Nonthasri, the doctor who treated him.

Somsak, who used tweezers and a small suction device to remove the maggots, said Anan would be kept in for observation for a while to make sure no more eggs hatched.

Source

Emperor said:
Wednesday April 27, 07:54 AM

Doctors remove 50 maggots from man's ears

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Doctors found around 50 maggots in the ears of an 84-year-old Thai man after he went to hospital complaining of an itch.

Wednesday's Nation newspaper said Anan Temtan, who lives in the tsunami-hit southern resort island of Phuket, had used cotton buds to relieve the itching, but had scratched so hard his eardrums ruptured and started bleeding.

"We believe flies might have gone inside his ears to lay eggs, which hatched into larvae and caused the itching," said Somsak Nonthasri, the doctor who treated him.

Somsak, who used tweezers and a small suction device to remove the maggots, said Anan would be kept in for observation for a while to make sure no more eggs hatched.

Source

:shock: :shock:

I think I am going to be sick. Reminds me of a picture I was once presented with of maggots in someones gums :cross eye Now where did I store it............... :blah:

What is it with all these maggots???

Doctors remove maggots from woman's nose

May 03 2005 at 07:40AM

Bangkok - Threating what appears to be becoming a common complaint in the kingdom, Thai doctors recently removed 34 maggots from a woman's nasal cavity after she came to hospital complaining of a swollen cheek, media reports said on Tuesday.

Doctor Tawee Thanuparp-rangsan, of Nakorn Ping Hospital in Chiang Mai, 560 kilometres north of Bangkok, said the 38-year-old woman had checked in to the hospital complaining of severe pain in her left cheek.

"I checked her nasal cavity and found a lot of fly maggots there," Tawee told The Nation newspaper. Doctors had to operate on the woman, a pig farmer, removing 34 maggots from inside her nose.

"Probably while she was sleeping, a fly went up her nose and laid its eggs, which then hatched into larvae," Tawee speculated.

It was the second such operation reported in Thailand in recent weeks.

On April 26, Thai doctors removed 50 maggots from an 84-year-old man's ears who had sought treatment at a hospital in Phuket, 660 kilometres south of Bangkok, for extreme itchiness in the orifices.

Doctors speculated that the octogenarian may have gotten the ear infestation while working at an open-air market, notorious for their flies.

Source

:shock:

What's that parasite that forces its way out of your skin...looks like lots of white threads? I saw a picture in Bizarre of it once. They have to remove it slowly by gradually wrapping it around something.

Hokum said:
What's that parasite that forces its way out of your skin...looks like lots of white threads? I saw a picture in Bizarre of it once. They have to remove it slowly by gradually wrapping it around something.

I think the parasite that causes elephantiasis fits the description.

A random page on this:
http://archive.salon.com/health/sex/urg ... hantiasis/

My Dad always reckoned he found a photo of a guy with his nuts in a wheelbarrow while browsing a National Geographic in a dentist waiting room..

On a technical note it is caused by Wuchereria bancrofti:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuchereria_bancrofti

You know what the worse thing is about all these?
When you're reading them and you start itch...

While it did not make the local news,I do personally know a man whose grandfather died from fly maggots bieng in his sinus cavity.
Apparently a fly had gotten in there when he was sleeping,laid eggs and for some reason the fly had then died,this caused an infection and the hatchling maggots began feeding on the resulting necrotic tissue,which spread and by the time he decided to go to a doctor he had gotten a brain infection and had a head full of maggots.
On a similar note, there is a rise in methamphetamine use in this area that has been going on for a few years , the people who make the stuff often dot it in the most unsanitary places like chicken coops. Recently there was a batch that had gotten some type of insect larvae in it and many users began getting these scuzzy sores on their bodies and in their noses. It later was discoverd that some kind of bugs were coming out of the sores and from inside the nose. Often users have hallucinations called "meth bugs" but this time it was the real thing. One of these people turned up at my doctors office and I actually saw the sores with something moving just under the skin :shock: and small gnat like things flying out from his nose :shock: I got sick to my stomach and had to go wretch in the bathroom , then found a seat in the waiting room as far from him as possible.(ech)

Ooooooooooooo this one will get a few people:

12/01/2006 08:05 - (SA)

Spider nests in ear

Stockholm - A spider that nested in the ear of a Swedish woman was discovered and removed alive after 27 days, Swedish tabloid Expressen reported on Wednesday.

The black spider, "the size of a thumbnail", crept into the woman's ear while she was sleeping and went undiscovered for almost a month, the paper said.

The woman, whose name was not disclosed, told the paper that she at first experienced "a slight loss of hearing" and assumed that she had a build-up of wax.

But when she heard "a scratching sound" in her ear she decided to go to the pharmacy to buy a cleanser to wash out her ear cavity.

When she did so, the spider was flushed out alive and crawled away.

The woman recalled having seen a spider on her bed in November, 27 days earlier.

www.news24.com/News24/Backpage/AnimalAn ... 14,00.html

More pics! more pics! :D

I'm sure I've seen that pic of the bloke with his balls in the wheel barrow but like the thunderbird photo legend, I can't remember where ..

... throwaway scene from the 80's teen comedy/drama film The Breakfast Club ..

"Hey Clare ... wanna see a picture of a guy with elephantiatus of the nuts? ..... it's pretty tasty .... how do you think he rides a bike?"

I've known some of you a long time, I trust your wisdom.

I've surprised myself by not clicking either.

Back