• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ginoide

Abominable Snowman
in other words: i see simulacra everywhere.
especially on the living room floor. it's made of marble chips, and whenever i'm in the living room my eyes - and mind - start roaming, seeing little faces everywhere. i know, it's in the nature of the material itslef, little pieces of different colours and shapes, and there's no way i am convinced the faces "are there": it's just tht i see them all the time, all over the place. i could go in two or three places of my living room right now and find two or three faces, i know where they are, they're so clear and evident. to me. one night i was trying to write and i just couldn't, i just had to keep finding new faces and then go back to the old ones.
they come in all styles, from realistic to manga to 1940's comics.
same with the doors in my house. they're made of frosted glass (if the term is correct), anyway that kind of opaque, not-see-through glass, you know. if i sit and look at one of those glasses for 30 secs i'll start seeing faces. one night i even spotted a jesus christ face - i was tempted to put my kitchen door on e-bay.
anyway: i remember hearing a psychiatrist saying that when you keep finding resemblances between familiar people and famous people that's a symptom of paranoia. i always see resemblances between people, and that's never worried me (come on, it's just an exercise for your mind, and it's fun), but this simulacra thing kind of got me worried. i'm telling you, it happens all the time.
any of you get that? should i be seriously worried?

My opinion?

I'm totally the opposite. I find it very very difficult to see faces in things - oddly I'm slightly better at profiles :rolleyes:

I suspect

a) we are both within normal bounds.

b) it's very unlikely to be indiciative of anything else.

As far as I understand it the familiar/famous thing is different and is to do with the interpretation of something we've seen, not the fact that we've seen it.

I really envy you! it's a gift you have :)

I used to be able to see faces in everything, the carpets, the curtains, the wallpaper ... these days I don't have patterned furnishings, so no faces :( The best I can do is a horse's face that forms from the 'knots' in the fake pine panelling in the bathroom :)

Patterns are not obvious to me for sound physiological reasons, so I don't normally see them.

I can't see animals in the clouds, Jesus in muffins etc which makes me feel hardheaded, rational and unsuperstitious! :lol:

Reminds me of "The Yellow Wallpaper", by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (I think Victorian? short story). Woman obsessed by seeing things in her wallpaper. Erm, I think she went loopy, though, therefore bad example...seriously, Ginoide, I wouldn't worry, I get this all the time myself, things like marble are the worst.

You could always open the house to psychical researchers, say it's the new Belmez... ;)

I wouldn't worry, I've seen images in clouds (which is why I tend to be dismissive of chemtrails) , wallpapers, frosted glass marble, creases in cloth, dirty marks, smoke etc. for as long as I can remember, and alway looked at it as cheap way of relieving boredom.

I do the thing about seeing resemblances between people (though I stopped pointing them out) as it some people think you're loopy when you do it.

I see patterns too in carpetsm curtains, stains, clouds, light patterns etc. I think it's from having an impressive imagination.

At night there is an angel shape on my bedroom roof caused by light coming in under the door. At least I think thats what it is ;)

I always assumed everyone saw this kind of stuff.

No patterns in my house 'cos I get it so bad that it creeps me out, but I know exactly what you all mean.

It's like car licence/number plates here in the UK. I read words in them, not the personal plates that are sooooo pretentious but ordinary plates. Does anyone else do this as well? Or is it just me? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Example - R***FNY I would read as arfunny.

I find myself looking for the longest word I can find with the letters in the right order.

I think I must be looking for meaning when it's written but not when it's patterns for some reason.

When smilies first came out I took it on trust that colon right bracket looked liked a smiling face because I just couldn't read it. Weeks later it clicked.

The glorious differences of the species!

My cars have always been named according to the closest match name to the number plate letters, although I don't tend to read them as names- motorway journeys as a child often included thinking up acronyms from them.

Elffriend said:
It's like car licence/number plates here in the UK. I read words in them, not the personal plates that are sooooo pretentious but ordinary plates. Does anyone else do this as well? Or is it just me? Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know what you mean and I do it, although I try not to when I'm actually the one who's driving.

I see faces in everything, all the time...a sign of a healthy, creative and active mind I'd say. The phenomenon increases if I smoke a bit of good weed.

Seek help if the faces ever start to order you about or try and convince you you're God, though.
;)

Back