Parents' Advice

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
My mother repeatedly told me, "Never wish time away." (Never wish for speeding or skipping to some future date or event.)

Her explanation(s) involved filling one's time constructively rather than squandering it waiting for the future thing, as well as considering all the deaths that would be hastened and / or opportunities bypassed if time were actually sped up.

My father repeatedly told me, "Do as I say; don't do as I do" when he openly admitted the problems caused by his drinking and gambling, confessed he wasn't as good a father as he could have been, and explained the advantages and advisability of avoiding his own pitfalls. He communicated these messages in one-on-one father / son time starting when I was small (prior to entering elementary school). His openness and explanations made me take the lesson(s) seriously.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
My mother repeatedly told me, "Never wish time away." (Never wish for speeding or skipping to some future date or event.)

Her explanation(s) involved filling one's time constructively rather than squandering it waiting for the future thing, as well as considering all the deaths that would be hastened and / or opportunities bypassed if time were actually sped up.

My father repeatedly told me, "Do as I say; don't do as I do" when he openly admitted the problems caused by his drinking and gambling, confessed he wasn't as good a father as he could have been, and explained the advantages and advisability of avoiding his own pitfalls. He communicated these messages in one-on-one father / son time starting when I was small (prior to entering elementary school). His openness and explanations made me take the lesson(s) seriously.
They sound like cool people, your Mum's advice reminds me of the great lyrics to this song by Howard Jones ..

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I've just been reminded of some more advice, possibly or not from my parents: Don't swig from a milk bottle.

There could be shards of glass in it. Milk bottles are recycled and some are broken in the process. Older bottles had a wide neck which was easier for bits to fall into so if you swigged from one, tipping it up, you might swallow some glass.

I'm now beginning to remember seeing some glass in a milk bottle myself.

ravensocks

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Me (frequently): I thought it would be sunny/it was fish fingers for dinner/it was in this drawer/we were going out/ etc etc ad infinitum...

Mum: know what thought did? Followed a dust cart, thought it was a wedding.

Still no clue. I'm guessing it might be a local thing, or insanity. She still does it. I'm taking it as advice of some sort.

My parents are generally good eggs.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Do it properly; do it once.

(Everything from tying shoelaces and making model planes to getting married)

Leaving things 'half done' and starting on something else was unthinkable.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
He communicated these messages in one-on-one father / son time starting when I was small (prior to entering elementary school). His openness and explanations made me take the lesson(s) seriously.
That's what I'm working on now.

At least a couple of times a week, I take Miss Yith on a walk after dark. We usually go to the 24hr shop nearby and buy a snack, but the real aim is to have some quiet, contemplative time in which to deal with whatever small matters have come up: arguments, changes in our lives etc.

I was a mite apprehensive that this might be moving into 'overparenting' territory, but yesterday she came home with an illustrated concertina-style book she'd made of her 'seven favourite activities', and 'walking with Daddy' was number 4, with a picture of the moon, the stars and the shop.

Slight lump in the throat moment.

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
That's what I'm working on now.

At least a couple of times a week, I take Miss Yith on a walk after dark. We usually go to the 24hr shop nearby and buy a snack, but the real aim is to have some quiet, contemplative time in which to deal with whatever small matters have come up: arguments, changes in our lives etc.

I was a mite apprehensive that this might be moving into 'overparenting' territory, but yesterday she came home with an illustrated concertina-style book she'd made of her 'seven favourite activities', and 'walking with Daddy' was number 4, with a picture of the moon, the stars and the shop.

Slight lump in the throat moment.

I don't have kids - I'd be survival-prepping any kids if I did. Full-on survival training and badass martial arts.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I don't have kids - I'd be survival-prepping any kids if I did. Full-on survival training and badass martial arts.
I've quoted elsewhere my maternal grandad's advice - originally based on standing up to a bully, repeated when I took up a bit of boxing as a teenager: If you can't talk your way out of a fight - walk away. If you can't walk away - run away. If you can't run away - punch the buggers so bloody hard that their mother feels it.

My dad was an extremely clever man - he left school at 14, but received further schooling, basically in secret and through the machinations of his mother and a local parson, because his own father wanted him working on the farm. Got a scholarship, went to college, fought a war, came home, became a much loved teacher. He was not an overly shy man, but he was also not someone who pushed themselves to the fore - he would rather be invited in than push on the door. I remember him telling me on more than one occasion: Never let them know how much you know until they try to tell you that they know more.

Basically, keep your powder dry until you have absolutely no other avenue to follow - then fix bayonets and fire at will. Served me pretty well.

Last edited:

CALGACUS03

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Mum:

"Dinnae trouble trouble,
'till trouble troubles you.
You'll only double trouble,
and trouble others too"

"What's fur you'll no go past you"

"There's no pockets in a shroud"

"Treat others as you'd want to be treated"

Dad:

"Retaliate first"

"If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

That last one was so uncharacteristic of my father, normally a very polite and punctilious man, that I still remember it - although, I hasten to add, I always flush!:dpoo:

I'll edit if I remember more.

Mum:

"Many mickles mak' a muckle"

Last edited: