• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Paris Syndrome' (Visitors' Stress / Depression Reaction To Paris)

I think Parisians perhaps get a bad rap with this.

If you walk into a shop or up to someone on the street to ask them something and don't preface it with a simple 'Hello', then they are going to assume that you are the ignorant one. And when you consider the huge numbers of pesky, swarming, loud and often obnoxious tourists, this happens a lot, which probably wears them down after a while.

It's akin to asking for pineapple on you pizza or ketchup for your pasta in Italy- both of which are quite rightly capital offences.

Also, to go around smiling means, in their eyes, that you are deranged, which is understandable really.

Having said that, I was once kicked by a Parisian copper- although to be fair I'd have probably done the same, but much harder.

(My bolding) -- a thing which I have come upon, in reference also to Russia and Eastern Europe generally; the people there, are not "automatic spontaneous smilers": in their scheme of things, the time to start smiling at people is when friendship has been established -- folk who smile everywhere at everyone "from the get-go", are indeed regarded as not right in the head. Nonetheless, very many Eastern Europeans prove themselves to be -- via deeds rather than gestures -- very kind and hospitable.

Last edited:
(My bolding) -- a thing which I have come upon, in reference also to Russia and Eastern Europe generally; the people there, are not "automatic spontaneous smilers": in their scheme of things, the time to start smiling at people is when friendship has been established -- folk who smile everywhere at everyone "from the get-go", are indeed regarded as not right in the head. Nonetheless, very many Eastern Europeans prove themselves to be -- via deeds raheth than gestures -- very kind and hospitable.
I've noticed that in Poland... I was rather impressed when my wife managed to get a smile out of a Polish emo in Warsaw.

(My bolding) -- a thing which I have come upon, in reference also to Russia and Eastern Europe generally; the people there, are not "automatic spontaneous smilers": in their scheme of things, the time to start smiling at people is when friendship has been established -- folk who smile everywhere at everyone "from the get-go", are indeed regarded as not right in the head. Nonetheless, very many Eastern Europeans prove themselves to be -- via deeds raheth than gestures -- very kind and hospitable.
Yes. Partly, (maybe) because I'm British and more likely because I grew up in a tiny village,* I still tend to do it too.* I'll say 'Hello/Good morning' etc to complete strangers (now I'm in a slightly larger market town) and to be fair, most people do the same back, (or they'll say it first).

in their scheme of things, the time to start smiling at people is when friendship has been established

Yes, this is also the French way. Or perhaps I should say 'the Parisian way' at least. Like in most cities I suppose.

The Finnish (apparently) are even worse for this- (no offence to any Fins on here).

*I think that most people regard me as 'not right in the head' anyway.*

The Finnish (apparently) are even worse for this- (no offence to any Fins on here).

That admirable nation, the Finns: are pretty renowned for being folk of few words, and not wearing their hearts on their sleeves. Finnish joke -- Rauno and Heikki, on a visit back home after a long time away: having done the sauna bit, are about to seriously embark on the vodka. Over the first glass, Rauno asks: "So, Heikki, how have you been doing?" Heikki replies: "Damn -- I thought we were going to have a drinking session; not to get into endless yakking about life-the-universe-and-everything."

That admirable nation, the Finns: are pretty renowned for being folk of few words, and not wearing their hearts on their sleeves. Finnish joke -- Rauno and Heikki, on a visit back home after a long time away: having done the sauna bit, are about to seriously embark on the vodka. Over the first glass, Rauno asks: "So, Heikki, how have you been doing?" Heikki replies: "Damn -- I thought we were going to have a drinking session; not to get into endless yakking about life-the-universe-and-everything."
Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel asked Mika Hakkinen if there was a word for 'exciting' in Finnish but Mika couldn't think of one.

Back