Patient Chilean Miners

McAvennie

Justified & Ancient
Syphoned from the 'Underground' thread...

My first reaction to this when hearing they would be trapped for four months was whether the film rights would be sold before they got out? Can see Benicio Del Toro in the lead...

Secondly, have to confess to morbid thoughts that not all of them are going to make it out alive. Maybe that is just the Hollywood cliche of one loose cannon cracking up but 4 months trapped together down there... would be very hard not to go stir crazy.

river_styx

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm waiting for the inevitable reality TV show to air on Fox. They only need to throw in some annoying Blonde ditz.

Whoever gets voted off gets eaten by the others :madeyes:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reminds me of that Peter Sellers film The Blockhouse where a group of men were trapped in a bunker for six years during WW2. Supposed to be based on a true story, though I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

In the film, they had enough food and water for their ordeal, but not enough candles, so when the lights went out for good it was about four years until they saw anything again and were rescued. With any luck this won't happen to these miners.

locussolus

Devoted Cultist
gncxx said:
Reminds me of that Peter Sellers film The Blockhouse where a group of men were trapped in a bunker for six years during WW2. Supposed to be based on a true story, though I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

In the film, they had enough food and water for their ordeal, but not enough candles, so when the lights went out for good it was about four years until they saw anything again and were rescued. With any luck this won't happen to these miners.
Sounds like a pleasant film. :D

Anome

Bibliomancer
According to Wikipedia on the subject
The book and film appear to have been inspired by a possibly true story: on June 25, 1951, Time magazine reported that two German soldiers claimed to have been trapped for six years in an underground storehouse in Babie Do?y, Poland.
So, inspired, rather than based on a true story. An interesting idea for a film, anyway.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anome_ said:
According to Wikipedia on the subject
The book and film appear to have been inspired by a possibly true story: on June 25, 1951, Time magazine reported that two German soldiers claimed to have been trapped for six years in an underground storehouse in Babie Do?y, Poland.
So, inspired, rather than based on a true story. An interesting idea for a film, anyway.
So it might be true, eh? It is an interesting film, but not exactly a barrel of laughs as you can imagine.

The cannibals are here!

Chile miners get support from 'Alive' crash survivors
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-11190456

Andes plane crash survivors Ramon Sabella, Gustavo Zerbino and Pedro Algorta pose with relatives of the trapped Chilean miners The plane crash survivors say they are confident the rescue effort will succeed

Miners trapped deep underground in Chile have been contacted by four survivors of a famous 1972 plane crash in the Andes mountains.

Speaking to the 33 miners on video link, the four Uruguayan survivors said they brought a message of hope to the miners and their families.

They were among a group of 16 who endured extreme conditions for 72 days before being rescued in Chile.

Chile's Trapped Miners

* Rescue operation
* Underground refuge
* Conversation of hope
* Family's diary

The miners have now been stuck 2,300ft (700m) underground for a month.

They must now wait two to four months for engineers to drill an escape shaft.
'They will survive'

The Uruguayan survivors met relatives of the trapped miners at the San Jose mine before speaking to the miners via video.

They said they had come to show their solidarity with the miners, as will as to express their thanks to Chile for rescuing them 38 years ago.

And they said they were confident the miners would come out alive.
Continue reading the main story
“Start Quote

It is proof that man can survive the most difficult situations and they will survive”

End Quote Pedro Algorta Plane crash survivor

"In the same way we were able to get off the mountain and lead normal lives, they too will get out and lead fantastic lives," said Pedro Algorta, one of the plane crash survivors.

"Look at us, 38 years after we crashed, 16 of us who were rescued are still alive. It is proof that man can survive the most difficult situations and they will survive. The worst is already over. "
Extreme ordeal

The four Uruguayans were flying to the Chilean capital Santiago in 1972 to play a rugby match when their plane crashed high in the Andes mountains.

Twelve of the 45 people on board died in the crash and 17 died later.

But 16 survived for 72 days lost in the snow at 9,800ft (3000m) above sea level before two walked out and found help.

Some of them were forced to eat the flesh of their dead companions to stay alive.

Their ordeal inspired a best-selling book and the 1993 Hollywood film, "Alive."

Relatives of the miners welcomed their gesture of support.

"They fought so hard to save their lives," said Maria Segovia, sister of the trapped miner Dario Segovia.

"Seeing them makes my heart so happy."
'Plan C'

The operation to drill a rescue shaft at the mine, near Copiapo, has penetrated more than 40m (130ft) deep since it began on Monday.
Strata 950 drill The Strata 950 drill is the first of three which could possibly rescue the trapped workers

Meanwhile, two alternative rescue plans are in progress, according to Andres Sougarret, the engineer in charge of the rescue.

A second, faster drill that could aid the men's rescue arrived at the site on Friday and could begin work on Sunday, said Mr Sougarret.

The T-130 excavator will be deployed initially to enlarge the supply chute to allow larger objects to be sent down to the 33 men.

"What's more, we've got a third plan, called plan C, consisting of an oil drilling machine that will require a platform the size of a football pitch," said Mr Sougarret.

"It will be working before 18 September (Chile's Independence Day)."

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Lets hope the company can get some fancy kit cheap for use in future projects

Little_grey_lady

Junior Acolyte
On the radio this morning (heart FM breakfast show) the presenter said that there had been an unintended happening on the surface - that basically the wives of the Chilean miners gathered... and ended up meeting up with their husbands' girlfriends, also gathering. I haven't heard that anywhere else though.

They also said the miners are getting fussy with food and sending it back up the bore hole.

titch

Justified & Ancient
A glimmer of light in a dark and evil world. :D :D But i wouldn't fancy being the last one out.

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
My Grandfather would have loved this story. He was a miner as a young man, starting from when he was 14, until he was in his late twenties. He often worked 18" coal seams, half a mile down and a mile out under the sea. In later life, whenever there was a mine accident, or disaster, in the news, he always followed the story very closely .

Kondoru

Antediluvian
I knew an old miner once. He told me a lot about it. About testing for firedamp, and pit props shattering and having to be replaced in a hurry. The best thing, in the mines, he told me, was when baths were installed at the pithead, save trunding the dirt all the way home and making a mess for the wife.

It must have been a very tough life (and yes it was the cause of his early death) but he remembered it with fondness. He always kept canaries and had an apple for the ponies down the road, for they reminded him of old times.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Is it any good?

I have that old red carbolic soap for pre soaks and the like. the smell reminds me of my childhood.

(not that we washed in it, I hasten to add; it was for Grandads hands when he came out of the garden))

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've been following this rescue story since last night. It really is the ultimate Good News story.

Several people have commented on how it's like following the first Moon Landing, back in 1969, a thought I'd had myself earlier in the day.

The thing is going so smoothly now, you can see the attitudes of the people involved (both rescuers and waiting relatives) relaxing as the proceedure becomes more and more routine - and long may it continue! (I have all my extremities crossed for good luck...)

Chile has certainly enhanced its international reputation with the efficient organisation of this rescue.

Assuming all continues to go well, they should turn the place into a theme park - I'm sure thousands of people would pay for a trip down to the mine and back up again in the Phoenix capsule (with a wait of say a couple of hours down in the mine before the return trip...) 8)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
BTW, the beeb reporters have been struggling to describe the pulley block at the top of the lined shaft, used to accurately align the wire cable with the axis of the shaft.

Technically, it's a Snatch Block - a pulley that can be attached to and detached from a cable without having to pull the whole cable through it - which would be impossible with the Phoenix set-up.

So, snatch block - make your own jokes...

Kondoru

Antediluvian
Im worried about the too clean look of the miners myself.

Perhaps they had lots of soap down there?

Is it a soap mine?

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Chile mine rescue capsule at London Science Museum

The capsule used to rescue 33 miners who were trapped for 69 days in a mine in Chile has gone on display in London.
The steel capsule, 3.9m (12.7ft) tall and 54cm (1.7ft) wide, known as Fenix 2, will be on show at the Science Museum in South Kensington until May.

The 460kg Fenix 2 was one of five built by Chilean Navy engineers to winch up the miners, one at a time.
The 33 men were stuck 625m (2,050ft) below ground when part of the mine in San Jose collapsed on 5 August 2010.

The capsule, which had communication equipment and retractable wheels to help its movement through the shaft, also had enough oxygen-enriched air to last the 20-minute journey to the surface.

Katrina Nilsson, from the Science Museum, said: "I'm sure we can all remember the moment when the first miner was pulled to the surface after being trapped for almost 10 weeks.
"By showing the capsule at the museum, we hope to draw attention to the technical and engineering challenges that the rescue team tackled during this extraordinary operation."

The capsule will be on display until 13 May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16993131