• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's claimed in the video below that the man in the white shirt was 6'5" tall. I don't know how true that is having never seen that particular footage before, but he might be a familiar name to seasoned Bigfoot fans. I am impressed with how the video maker has overlaid the two films almost exactly, to my eyes anyway.

Longer version with narration

Short clip. Take note how the scenery matches up.

This footage will be 50 years old this October.
Good find!
He makes a good case with that video.
My only puzzlement is that the tree layout matches up so closely - surely some trees would have grown bigger, fallen over or been cut down in the 50-year time gap?

Good find!
He makes a good case with that video.
My only puzzlement is that the tree layout matches up so closely - surely some trees would have grown bigger, fallen over or been cut down in the 50-year time gap?
Yep .. I'm also wondering what year the man in the white shirt was filmed in the same location .. in all good faith and with the trees matching up so well, very soon after the Patterson film hopefully ..

Ahh, right - I was under the impression that the man in the white shirt was photographed recently.

There is also the way the hair seems to move with the muscles of the back, as opposed to being just a suit pulled over an actor. You’ll notice most Hollywood gorillas have really thick hair that seems to hang like a jacket on the actor, which might be a reason why so many ape suits feature shag carpet hair (so thick to hide the fact) or features curly hair (that curly bulk would mask the jacket quality as well). The Patterson beast has relatively shorter hair that allows the camera to see those muscles moving under the hair, so that is another unusual feature when contemplating what could be done as well as what would likely be done.

Would a faker use make-up technology 20 years ahead of it’s time to pull a prank in such a way to ensure the footage would stand the test of time? Or would they be more likely to rent and modify an existing ape costume with the idea of fooling somebody shooting super 8 footage (a very grainy way to shoot that unfortunately doesn’t allow for capturing fine details), without any real thought that the footage would be such we’d still be debating it in 2017? I think the later, that any proposed faker would have just done something that would have fooled people at the time, but that wouldn’t have captured the imagination for so long.

Super 8 in 1967 + a relatively conventional costume = a prank that would last for a decent amount of time, and seems a reasonable thing for prankers to do.

Super 8 in 1967 + an expensive, beyond state of the art makeup that was never used again = a lot of expense for very little payday, and more to hide, and for what purpose. This scenario seems less likely to me, but I can’t rule it out as being impossible, no more than I can rule out that this video is the real deal.

It does seem ludicrous, but that's the problem, all the possible explanations sound fairly insane.

"Hello, I'm one hell of a great special effects guy. It's 1967, and I push existing technology far beyond conventional limits, I can do things that everybody else won't be able to do until the 1980s. I'm in the middle of nowhere with a cheap little department store movie camera, and a couple of good ol' boys, and my prototype masterpiece of a monster rig. I'm going to make a short shaky grainy film with only a few dozen clear frames. Yay me!"

or

"Hello, I'm a bipedal super-ape. Oh and by the way, my kind never gets caught or shot. I'm a huge fierce wild animal, my instincts tell me to either flee or to attack. So when I accidentally encounter some bizarre humanoids in my territory, how do I react? I act mildly insulted. Miffed. Put off. I amble away, in no great hurry."

or

"Hee-hee! I'm a merry prankster. I'm about to dress up like a monster, and then jump out and scare the living shit out of a couple of cowboys. A couple of cowboys with deer rifles. Because I'm just that stupid. Hee-hee!"

"Hee-hee! I'm a merry prankster. I'm about to dress up like a monster, and then jump out and scare the living shit out of a couple of cowboys. A couple of cowboys with deer rifles. Because I'm just that stupid. Hee-hee!"

A couple of film makers/writers/actors, engaged in scouting locations for a drama documentary on the Ape Canyon incident who'd already made a firm pact not to fire at a bigfoot if they saw one.

What I'd like to know is what exactly do people think they were going to do when it came time to film the bigfoot sequences?

A couple of film makers/writers/actors, engaged in scouting locations for a drama documentary on the Ape Canyon incident who'd already made a firm pact not to fire at a bigfoot if they saw one.

What I'd like to know is what exactly do people think they were going to do when it came time to film the bigfoot sequences?
I hope John Chambers turns up on time with that suit ?

I contend that F/X suit building was advanced enough to have achieved the purpose of building a fake big foot suit for '67 .. now all I have to though is give evidence .. I'll be starting with the work of the masters Lon Chaney and later Dick Smith, both amazing in the 30's and 40's onwards ..

https://horrorpedia.com/2014/08/28/...whos-inside-the-gorilla-suit-by-daz-lawrence/

.. here's a cruder example from 1927 ..

gorilla.jpg

.. and a later one ..

rac.jpg

https://horrorpedia.com/2014/08/28/...whos-inside-the-gorilla-suit-by-daz-lawrence/

Last edited:
I can't find the original song online yet but this will do ..

Lost in Space was from about that period, and quite a few of the monsters were 'Bigfoot-style'.
Who did the FX for that?

Janos Prohaska said that the fur "ripple and flex" effect would be possible, but only if every single hair was individually attached.
Which admittedly would be tedious and time-consuming as hell. Humanly possible, yes. But the actor would have to have the patience of Buddha.

Janos Prohaska said that the fur "ripple and flex" effect would be possible, but only if every single hair was individually attached.
Which admittedly would be tedious and time-consuming as hell. Humanly possible, yes. But the actor would have to have the patience of Buddha.

Janos Prohaska? As I understand it, and I may be wrong, he wore ape suits rather than made them. In any case did he ever demonstrate what he was saying.

I really don't see where the anatomical detail is in that film that outstretches the capability of an average costume maker.

... a firm pact not to fire at a bigfoot if they saw one.

Well, a firm pact, that's different, then.

I could make a firm pact not to shoot at grizzly bears.

And at three hundred yards, my resolve would be as strong as titanium steel.

And at two hundred yards, my resolve would be as firm as ductile iron. Probably.

And at "bad-breath" range... I would be shrieking like an utter ninny whilst frantically emptying mag after mag into yonder hirsute bruin.

:eek:

And at "bad-breath" range... I would be shrieking like an utter ninny whilst frantically emptying mag after mag into yonder hirsute bruin.

:eek:
I've heard that's not advised unless you have a gun that has enough 'welly' to kill it. Handgun bullets might just make it angry.

I've heard that's not advised unless you have a gun that has enough 'welly' to kill it. Handgun bullets might just make it angry.

there's a case (not sure how true it is) that there were once stories of a mutant killer monster living in the wilds of the Yukon (?) Ultimately, the creature was killed, it was found to be a bear with a bald deformed head. On examination they found five bullets in it's skull.

Years before, a hunter's cabin had been found, torn open and the man dead or missing and with an empty (as in discharged) revolver lying on the floor.

I know that seems like there's one missing from the bear's head, but many revolvers actually carry five.

Either way I don't believe a bloody word of it.

there's a case (not sure how true it is) that there were once stories of a mutant killer monster living in the wilds of the Yukon (?) Ultimately, the creature was killed, it was found to be a bear with a bald deformed head. On examination they found five bullets in it's skull.

Years before, a hunter's cabin had been found, torn open and the man dead or missing and with an empty (as in discharged) revolver lying on the floor.

I know that seems like there's one missing from the bear's head, but many revolvers actually carry five.

Either way I don't believe a bloody word of it.

In his journal Merriweather Lewis recounts how he and his men put 10 musket balls into a grizzly before it finally succumbed. Those were .50 inch black powder muzzleloaders, not modern rifles. Other more recent accounts tell of multiple shots with a modern rifle were needed, and then found older healed-over rifle bullets embedded in the bear when dressing it.

Field crews in Alaska and Canada often carry a .30-30 rifle or 12 ga shotgun w/ slugs. The point is to deter the attack, not necessarily kill. Or use bear bangers.

Several handgun manufacturers offer 'bear guns' as a last resort after the bear has closed too close for a rifle shot. A popular one is Smith and Wesson 0.50 revolver. OTOH -- a Boone and Crockett record brown bear was taken with a 7mm handgun. One helluva lucky shot that hit the exact spot at the right time!

In bear country I carry a Ruger .357 magnum revolver with hollow point ammunition. I am sure it would work fine on a sasquatch.

Oh I've always hated handguns, I wouldn't thank you for one. The first one I ever fired was when I was fishing with some other guys, and one of them had a Ruger 22 pistol in his tackle box. It looked very cheap and knocked-around to me. I said what's that, and he says "Muh snake gun, wanna giver a try?" So I take the stupid little thing and "aim" it at a big rock stuck in the river bank, but you can't aim a pistol, not like you can aim a rifle anyway. The first shot went into the mud on the left, I tried to correct, the next shot missed to the right. Now I'm getting laughed at, "Haw-haw!", so I just handed it back to him and said I didn't want to waste all his bullets. Handguns aren't proper firearms, strictly speaking. But rifles or shotguns, at least they can be aimed.

My idea of a perfect anti-everything "go to hell" gun would be something very much like the device featured below, versatile, slugs or shot, fast or slow, whether it's zombies or sasquatches or Moon Nazis, shoot 'em up and there's plenty more where that came from, buddy! o_O

... I really don't see where the anatomical detail is in that film that outstretches the capability of an average costume maker.

Nor do I ...

All the debate over minute details of fur, face, etc., seems to have arisen after various reviews / 'analyses' generated enough ambiguity (e.g., filming frame speed) to provide room for insinuating this or that secondary factor supported one or the other overall conclusion.

My initial reaction decades ago was that the uniformity, general cleanliness, reflectivity, and movements of the figure's external covering screamed 'fake fur'. Although my opinion on the film has varied from 'neutral / maybe' to 'definite hoax' on subsequent viewings, I've never been able to convince myself it depicted an authentic cryptid.

'Hole punching' hair into latex is traditionally accomplished by cutting the eye of a sewing needle in half diagonally and sticking the sharp end into a tool handle, scooping up only three hairs at a time (of differing colours to create texture of colour if the effect you want has to be realistic for a close up shot) then stabbing them into the latex .. if you get lazy doing this, you risk getting the clumped 'barbie doll' look instead .. I've got a couple of books, Richard Corson's Stage Make-Up and Tom Savini's Grande Illusions 2 that go into deep detail about F/X hair work, techniques that were advanced from traditional wig making. I can go into more details if anyone's interested enough.

Hair and wig work is extensively covered about two thirds of the way down on this link .. and no, it wasn't a new trick in the 80's ;)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dVlFKuQpMZEC&pg=PT365&lpg=PT365&dq=tom savini hair punching&source=bl&ots=D3UOZl_ifG&sig=pMJMKD6yHlUMdAr1b7phMTAlG5Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI87WludjUAhWRJlAKHQS2BK0Q6AEISzAL#v=onepage&q=tom savini hair punching&f=false

Last edited:
Nor do I ...

All the debate over minute details of fur, face, etc., seems to have arisen after various reviews / 'analyses' generated enough ambiguity (e.g., filming frame speed) to provide room for insinuating this or that secondary factor supported one or the other overall conclusion.

Absolutely. A few less than accurate assertions have crept into these examinations over the years too. My favourite being one 'expert' who stated (quite without any relevance by the way) that four way stretch material didn't exist in the 60's. He'd not heard of Spandex or even latex then.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but mine is that objectively the footage is very unclear, and in no way remarkable. As for the entire 'it's too good for 1960's special effects', well...

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/CRlz1qPT2u4/hqdefault.jpg

as against

http://www.scifimoviepage.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/planet-apes-crop.jpg

Really?

The faces are amazing in Planet of the Apes but the bodies are just people bodies. The creature in the PG footage has a very impressively apey body.

The faces are amazing in Planet of the Apes but the bodies are just people bodies. The creature in the PG footage has a very impressively apey body.

But if they had the know how to produce a face like that I'm sure they could manage to produce a saggy arsed hairy suit, which in reality is what appears in the PG film.

But to be honest I don't see any particular sophistication in that suit. OK, it's nicely done but that's it.

But if they had the know how to produce a face like that I'm sure they could manage to produce a saggy arsed hairy suit, which in reality is what appears in the PG film.

But to be honest I don't see any particular sophistication in that suit. OK, it's nicely done but that's it.
Yes I suppose so. It DOES seem like an awful lot of bother to have gone to though perhaps not when people are still arguing about it decades later!

Yes I suppose so. It DOES seem like an awful lot of bother to have gone to though perhaps not when people are still arguing about it decades later!

In all fairness they were making a drama documentary about bigfoot, so a suit was an essential rather than being a bother. According to Greg Long, the film was to include reconstructions of famous bigfoot encounters, and it's this that probably explains why Patty is a girl. Back in 1967 there weren't as many bigfoot stories doing the rounds as now, (it still hadn't caught on, hence the title of Paterson's 1966 book being 'Do Abominable Snowmen of America Exist? as they were still being marketed under the yeti) so one of the stories Patterson was almost certainly going to focus on was Albert Ostman's then famous tale of being abducted by a female Sasquatch. We know Patterson was interested in this case, it features in his book and he drew the creature.

But it seems as though the funding either ran, or was in the process of running out, so the costume was taken out into the woods to be passed off as a real bigfoot. That's what I think anyway.

If they'd managed to get the project off the ground Patty would have got an acting credit.

In all fairness they were making a drama documentary about bigfoot, so a suit was an essential rather than being a bother. ...

Exactly ... One of the most relevant factoids in all this - one that's been conveniently obscured over the decades - is that they went out into the woods to make a documentary about the Sasquatch phenomenon.

How were they going to create a marketable film without illustrating a Sasquatch? And how were they intending to illustrate a Sasquatch without a suit or some sort of model?

Exactly ... One of the most relevant factoids in all this - one that's been conveniently obscured over the decades - is that they went out into the woods to make a documentary about the Sasquatch phenomenon.

How were they going to create a marketable film without illustrating a Sasquatch? And how were they intending to illustrate a Sasquatch without a suit or some sort of model?

Again, absolutely.

And how were they going to recreate the Ostman encounter without a girlsquatch costume.

...one of the stories Patterson was almost certainly going to focus on was Albert Ostman's then famous tale of being abducted by a female Sasquatch. We know Patterson was interested in this case, it features in his book and he drew the creature.

But it seems as though the funding either ran, or was in the process of running out, so the costume was taken out into the woods to be passed off as a real bigfoot. That's what I think anyway.

If they'd managed to get the project off the ground Patty would have got an acting credit.

Maybe a bit of a piffling nitpick; but from my recollection of reading the "Ostman Story", Mr. O. claimed to have been abducted by a male Sasquatch -- carried a long distance in his (Ostman's, not the sassy's) sleeping bag, to be detained in a remote mountain valley, among the Sasquatch family group: abducting male, his mate, and two young, one of each sex (the possibility speculated on, of Ostman's being taken as a potential "son-in-law"). Re-enacting of the full tale, not just the "snatch", would have needed female costume(s) anyway -- or perhaps Patterson reckoned that adapting the story to have a female doing the abducting, would jazz it up somewhat?

Last edited:
Maybe a bit of a piffling nitpick; but from my recollection of reading the "Ostman Story", Mr. O. claimed to have been abducted by a male Sasquatch -- carried a long distance in his (Ostman's, not the sassy's) sleeping bag, to be detained in a remote mountain valley, among the Sasquatch family group: abducting male, his mate, and two young, one of each sex (the possibility speculated on, of Ostman's being taken as a potential "son-in-law"). Re-enacting of the full tale, not just the "snatch", would have needed female costume(s) anyway -- or perhaps Patterson reckoned that adapting the story to have a female doing the abducting, would jazz it up somewhat?

You are quite right, in the Ostman story it is indeed a male who does the actual initial abducting.

Does anyone think that if this was a hoax then Bob Gimlin wasn't in on it? From interviews I've watched he seems a very honest, straightforward type. Admittedly, he does seem to be making some kind of money on the Bigfoot conference circuit.
He starts talking about the footage at about 8.30 on this video. Also mentioned is the difference in quality between the actual film and the versions we get to see on the internet. The interviewer mentions how the musculature is much more evident in the original.

Back