• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Paul Is Dead (Sixties Hoax)

Any chance of uploading it?

Regarding what you said above, who was bassist on their first album? (Supposed to be)

I will try and find the links I got the scans from.. I'd rather not upload it to here in case there's legal repercussions - I don't really know why but the fact this whole case, which seemed to have some basis to it, completely disappeared to the extent it's barely even on the internet makes me a bit wary.

Oh, never mind - it looks like Kerrang are hosting the whole thing on their own site! http://klassickerranginterviews.weebly.com/matthew-trippe---may-1988.html
I actually got my scans from a different place which had other interviews with Trippe and people who knew him, it was all really interesting.

As for the music - for some reason I never had the first album. Dr Feelgood was the first LP I ever bought but I think I still have Shout, Girls and Theatre of Pain on vinyl too. Shout is an excellent album, Girls is great, Theatre is good and Feelgood is great. I never bought anything else by them after that although I still listen to those early albums all the time!

Ha! See what I mean?! That link shows the Kerrang images but when you click to open them they're not there! That's what seems to happen with everything to do with this case, it's weird.

Last edited:
perhaps a spot of vaginal rejuvenation ?

Last edited:
There's a photo of one Nikki in the shower and he has a weird belly button that kinda stretches to the left quite noticeably, then another photo of a supposedly different Nikki with a perfectly round navel. It IS pretty odd.

I remember the belly button thing and being convinced at the time, but are there any tattoos?

I remember the belly button thing and being convinced at the time, but are there any tattoos?

yeah, take a look at the links I posted. Apparently he had them all, exact, even though he was flat broke with no money even for his kid's nappies, yet he somehow had these expensive tattoos exactly like Sixx's.

None of your links show any tattoos. He couldn't play bass or write music and had a damn butt chin. :BS: It's all bloody advertising.

None of your links show any tattoos. He couldn't play bass or write music and had a damn butt chin. :BS: It's all bloody advertising.

From a guy that was in a band with him - "his tattoos were legit, and identical.”
And -
CC: What about his Nikki Sixx tattoos then?

RH: He had all of the tatts through the Theatre of Pain years. They were not cheaply done and there were several. He had a wife, a brand new baby boy, and no money - so I have no idea how he would have paid for them.

I'm not sure what you mean about it all being advertising. You mean self-publicity from Crue? Maybe, but the way they made sure it was all swept under the carpet makes me doubt that very much. Then again, that adds to the mystique and keeps a bit of mystery around it so maybe it is....

As for not being able to play bass or write music - well the real Sixx hasn't written anything close to what they put out in the 80's either! And we're talking Crue here, not Opeth - it wouldn't take Billy Sheehan to play bass in songs like "Shout At The Devil", they were some of the first things I ever learned on guitar along with AC/DC.

Last edited:
"Shout At The Devil" is so simple it's the tutorial song on Guitar Hero 2.

"Shout At The Devil" is so simple it's the tutorial song on Guitar Hero 2.

Well, exactly.. It IS a brilliant song, one of my favourites, ever, but I'd imagine any bum they picked up on the street could have played the bass line. I mean, we're only talking about bass, Blackie Lawless called it the "tool of ignorance". (Insert trollface here for any bassists reading this :evil: )

I don't understand outies. Why would a doctor deliberately create one?

When I was younger and only weighed 9.5 stone I could actually pop my belly button in and out. It was very weird. Thankfully I drank enough beer to grow a belly large enough to contain it so it doesn't happen any more.

Hmmm, I downloaded a long interview with Trippe a few years ago, can't find any trace of it online now. Might upload it if I can find it!
With all the millions of dollars at stake, and Doc McGhee's apparent self-belief that he was an untouchable Godfather, I find it quite believable that someone was dropped in to play Nikki Sixx for a while to keep the money train on the rails.
IIRC, at the time Trippe said he was in Crue, Sixx was seeing Lita Ford and apparently as he was writing "Shout With The Devil", their apartment was covered in occult symbols. After watching a knife and fork fly off the table and embed in the ceiling, Sixx decided to change the album's name to "Shout AT the Devil"!

When I was younger and only weighed 9.5 stone I could actually pop my belly button in and out. It was very weird. Thankfully I drank enough beer to grow a belly large enough to contain it so it doesn't happen any more.

Mine got nicked.

Well, exactly.. It IS a brilliant song, one of my favourites, ever, but I'd imagine any bum they picked up on the street could have played the bass line. I mean, we're only talking about bass, Blackie Lawless called it the "tool of ignorance". (Insert trollface here for any bassists reading this :evil: )

That would be me. But its true. I played in various amateur and semi-pro bands for years while knowing only two facts about music -
1) Where the notes and octaves were on a bass. (Up two strings, across two frets).
2) you could always play the notes of the guitarists' chords. Which you can tell by watching their fingers.

Otherwise I just played it by ear. About a year ago there was a chance I might get involved in a band again so I thought I'd better learn the darn thing properly. And now I know 1 other fact - the depth of my ignorance.

Sorry to interrupt the belly button discussion.

Hmmm, I downloaded a long interview with Trippe a few years ago, can't find any trace of it online now. Might upload it if I can find it!
With all the millions of dollars at stake, and Doc McGhee's apparent self-belief that he was an untouchable Godfather, I find it quite believable that someone was dropped in to play Nikki Sixx for a while to keep the money train on the rails.
IIRC, at the time Trippe said he was in Crue, Sixx was seeing Lita Ford and apparently as he was writing "Shout With The Devil", their apartment was covered in occult symbols. After watching a knife and fork fly off the table and embed in the ceiling, Sixx decided to change the album's name to "Shout AT the Devil"!

Funny how Nikki was never before or after interested in the occult stuff, but Trippe was certainly in the Temple of Set at that time.

That would be me. But its true. I played in various amateur and semi-pro bands for years while knowing only two facts about music -
1) Where the notes and octaves were on a bass. (Up two strings, across two frets).
2) you could always play the notes of the guitarists' chords. Which you can tell by watching their fingers.

Otherwise I just played it by ear. About a year ago there was a chance I might get involved in a band again so I thought I'd better learn the darn thing properly. And now I know 1 other fact - the depth of my ignorance.

I play by ear too - can play most stuff on guitar like Maiden, Metallica etc but try and play even bass to a Jethro Tull song and I'm screwed.

Well, you know what they say.
Guy turns up at music teacher's place, says that he just woke up that morning and decided that he wanted to learn how to play the bass, so he went out and bought a brand new one, and was keen to get started.
SO, the teacher takes him in and shows him how to hold the guitar, and by the end of the first lesson, the guy is playing "Dum, Dum-Dum, Dum, Dum-Dum, Dum, Dum-Dum" basslines like a good 'un.
A week later, he's back, and at the end of the lesson he's playing "Dum-di-Dum, Dum Dum, Dum-di-Dum, Dum Dum, Dum-di-Dum" bass lines, along with the ones he learned the previous week.
The following week...he doesn't turn up for his lesson. Nor the week after, nor for 4 months. When he finally does knock on the teacher's door again, he's asked where he's been...

"I've been on tour"

(Just in case this is too much of a muso's in-joke, the gag is that you don't need to know or play much to be a working bass player. Phew)

For my sins I'm still a semi-regular player of first person shooter/grind-fest Destiny. For some reason, while pissing all that Activision money up the wall, Bungie hired Paul/Faul to write a theme song for Destiny.

So fundamentally rubbish it was that it got relegated to only ever being played if you chose to view the credits for the game.

That said, every once in a while as I'm roaming around The Tower social space somebody activates the shuffle play option on the jukebox and the horror of of that tune makes me wish (urban legend or not) the Paul really was dead.

Back