• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Peculiar Advertisement In Saturday's Papers

A

Anonymous

In Saturday's "The Guardian" there was a very odd 1/2 page advert by "The Lords Witnesses". It was a truly odd thing, claiming that the events of recent months had all been predicted in the book of revelations. A couple of quotes :)

The Symbolic Code of The Bible

We now have good evidence that we have fully decoded Revelation 13 and 17 (in the first symbolism.) These two chapters are being fulfilled in real time, in this very year, this is current end time prophecy.
The Permanent membership of the UN Security Council will expand to 10 seats on September 24th 2002. This is 300 Biblical Lunar Calendar days or 10 BLC months after the Bonn agreement was signed on December 5th.
There will be 3 more secretary generals (head persons) of the UN after Kofi Annan. The next three will not be tolerant to false religions. They will actually hate false religions according to Revelations 17. The Beast will hate the harlot.

And so it goes on. ;) They give a website address of
http://www.truebiblecode.com/

Anybody else come acroos these folks in any other newspapers?
(They're the first lot that I've heard count off the number of UN Sec. Gens. The lists of Popes has already been done, but this is a new one on me.) :)

The Revelation does not predict current events, no matter how hard someone tries to flog the text. The Revelation deals with the era of its author who believed that the Second Coming was going to happen in his generation and the Romans were going to get theirs.

I don't hate the harlot!! I swear!! She's actually quite a nice girl!!

I quite fancy her meself!

I always liked scarlet on a bird.

LD

Nothing but the Jehovahs

I've been following those adverts and checked out the website.

It's just the Jehovah witnesses (or JW based ) up to their old tricks.

They've changed the predicted date of the expansion of the UN security council from 5 to 10 permanent members about 3 times.

If you look at the google cache of their webpage you'll probably
see them *banging on* about how the expansion was to take place on 29-31 October. Now they're saying it'll take place on 13-15 November.

And in a week or so they'll claim it'll be in December sometime.

Bless em!

This is nothing more than a recruitment ad for MI5.Those who understand it and make the right response are halfway there.A bit like job interviews where one of the panel will say something innocuous about a bible passage for example and if the aspiring employee is "On the Square"and answers in a certain way,Bingo!welcome to the company.

Perhaps MI5 are the Jehovah's Witnesses!

"All along the watchtower"...

Stu Neville said:
Perhaps MI5 are the Jehovah's Witnesses!

"All along the watchtower"...
and Hendrix was silenced because he was about to give the game away ..

whizzer said:
and Hendrix was silenced because he was about to give the game away ..
Why, oh why, didn't they silence Dylan instead? They didn't have to kill him, just stop him from singing.

Earlier we had:
Elisheva said:
The Revelation does not predict current events, no matter how hard someone tries to flog the text. The Revelation deals with the era of its author who believed that the Second Coming was going to happen in his generation and the Romans were going to get theirs.
Actually, I have to disagree here. The Revelation is quite easy to apply to our time. Many of the images can be mapped onto situations, places, and people in the modern world, and a quite convincing argument can be made for these being the end times.

Of course the same could be said (and was) of the thirties. And of the early part of last century. And also of first or second century Europe, when the Revelation was written.

I saw a documentary about Revelations and how it relates to other early Jewish end of world myths. It seems, when examined in the context in which it was written, to have been intended as a disguised political tract about Rome. This is why people have found it so easy to apply to other situations, all you have to do is replace Rome with Nazi Germany, the US, Britain, the Soviet Union, left-handed vegetarian lesbians with one eye and no left leg (there's more of them than you think), or whoever, and you have a ready-written piece of anti=establishment propoganda.

Re: Nothing but the Jehovahs

The mOth said:
It's just the Jehovah witnesses (or JW based ) up to their old tricks.
It's definitely based on the JW's but in certain aspect differs radically from them. Have a look at their thoughts on extra-marital sex. Bill Clinton would have fitted in just fine. ;)

Why do apocalyptic groups always let you down ?

Well it's slowly approaching sunrise of the 15th [ well OK there's still 12+ hours to go ] but still no expansion of the number of permanent members of the UN security council.

I feel so disapointed.

And both their websites are down:

http://www.truebiblecode.com
http://www.bibledecoded.com

Unless there's something important on the news that's I've missed, there's still only 5 permanent members (UK, US, China, Russia & France, I think).

Just once, I'd like one of these apocolypse stories to be true - preferably the one where friendly aliens arrive to provide for our every need :)

Jane.

mejane said:
Just once, I'd like one of these apocolypse stories to be true - preferably the one where friendly aliens arrive to provide for our every need :)
That would be the "How to serve man" sceanrio. ;)

Fortis said:
That would be the "How to serve man" sceanrio. ;)

Well, I prefer the "how (alien) men serve women" idea myself. :p

Jane.

mejane said:
Well, I prefer the "how (alien) men serve women" idea myself. :p

Jane.
I don't think this kind of thing belongs on this thread. Take it over to the Kissing thread where we've just started on aliens and snogging.

Or maybe you should try checking out Sylvia by Nicole Hollander. She has a regular character who has an Alien lover who only wants to please her.

Themainman said:
This is nothing more than a recruitment ad for MI5.Those who understand it and make the right response are halfway there.A bit like job interviews where one of the panel will say something innocuous about a bible passage for example and if the aspiring employee is "On the Square"and answers in a certain way,Bingo!welcome to the company.

I hear the Rosicrucians do the exact same thing. If you respond right, next thing you know, you're immortal. Or was that immoral? I get those two mixed up. :confused:

Fallen Angel said:
I hear the Rosicrucians do the exact same thing. If you respond right, next thing you know, you're immortal. Or was that immoral? I get those two mixed up. :confused:
You mean to tell me that thing with the goat, the twin Swedish air hostesses, and the forty-four gallon drum of custard won't make me live forever. Dang.

anome said:
You mean to tell me that thing with the goat, the twin Swedish air hostesses, and the forty-four gallon drum of custard won't make me live forever. Dang.

No, but your quality of mortal life will be enhanced no end :).

Back