• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Penny Dreadful

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Didn't we have a thread for this started by someone...which has now disappeared.... :shock:

Latest teaser

I'm in....and it ain't cause Eva's in it !!!

After watching that I'm none the wiser. OK, I recognised Eva, but that was about it.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Bit of a puff-piece from the sinking Indy. I've no idea who Josh Hartnett is. Probably some sort of teen heart throb.

He was in 30 Days of Night and BlackHawk Down, which were popular cinematic entertainments your honour.

Heckler20 said:
He was in 30 Days of Night and BlackHawk Down, which were popular cinematic entertainments your honour.

...about ten years ago. I thought he'd retired.

gncxx said:
...about ten years ago. I thought he'd retired.

Like most waiters in Soho who when asked what they do will reply 'Actor', he was simply 'between jobs'.

Saw the first episode of this just recently. Seems to have been leaked pre-launch. It's surprisingly not crap, although early days.

And it's set after the Ripper murders, although Frankenstein dates from the other end of the 19th Century, so a bit of fudging there. Still, interested in seeing episode 2.

Does anyone know if/when this series will be available to download on itunes or amazon?
It's difficult finding out what's 'coming soon' for both of these sites, regarding tv series. Da Vinci's Demons for example just appeared for download mid season without warning.

Naughty_Felid said:
Seen the first two. Not bad will keep watching, the cast is good.

I enjoyed it, Mrs. Heckler watched the first, got about ten minutes through the second and decided it was all 'knobbing and gore, like Game of Thrones and Spartacus and most of these shows'.

I can't help but concur on that point. I suppose the key demographic requires a knobbing and dismemberment per show so that is what is delivered.

Heckler20 said:
Naughty_Felid said:
Seen the first two. Not bad will keep watching, the cast is good.

I enjoyed it, Mrs. Heckler watched the first, got about ten minutes through the second and decided it was all 'knobbing and gore, like Game of Thrones and Spartacus and most of these shows'.

I can't help but concur on that point. I suppose the key demographic requires a knobbing and dismemberment per show so that is what is delivered.

I don't mind a bit of gore, but unnecessary violence turns me off. We watched Utopia recently and the torture scene was completely out of order. So far PD has not crossed the line.

The knobbing - well I don't think my wife complained too much watching Josh Harnett's/Body double's bum going up and down and for a consumptive Brona looked in particularly good shape.

PD has a great cast. Rory Kinnear is particularly good.

Naughty_Felid said:
and for a consumptive Brona looked in particularly good shape.

I can never shake the impression that Billie Piper, Professor Brian Cox and Bingo from the Banana Splits are all related, between that and her dreadful accent it puts me right off.

Bingo

Billie Piper

Brian Cox

Is anyone else still watching this? Its my favourite show on at the moment.
If anything, just watch it for Eva Green's performance - incredible!

I was very glad that Billie Piper got rid of her terrible accent.

There is a new one coming called Penny Dreadful: City of Angels.
It's set in Los Angeles in the 1930s and appear to be rather lacking in supernatural things.

Only one episode in to City of Angels, so I'll give it a bit longer, but it's not a patch on the original so far.

Whilst Natalie Dormer, in her multiple roles, is always a pleasure to watch and I quite liked the Porco Rosso lookalike detective, the rest just felt like a bit of a mess.

Hope it gets a bit more focused in episode two, but I guess La Dia de Los Muertes and la Santa Muerte simply don't have the same resonance as Vampires, Werewolves and other assorted monsters in Victorian London.

Last edited:
Only one episode in to City of Angels, so I'll give it a bit longer, but it's not a patch on the original so far.

Whilst Natalie Dormer, in her multiple roles, is always a pleasure to watch and I quite liked the Porco Rosso lookalike detective, the rest just felt like a bit of a mess.

Hope it gets a bit more focused in episode two, but I guess La Dia de Los Muertes and la Santa Muerte simply don't have the same resonance as Vampires, Werewolves and other assorted monsters in Victorian London.
This series is very different, I get a bit of an "American Gods" vibe from it. Natalie Dormer is good and its great to see Rory Kinnear (for a moment I thought he was the same character as before)

Given it two episodes, but reckon that's enough.

There is no way this can be considered a spiritual successor to the original (and brilliant) Penny Dreadful, when the only link here seems to be the title.

The wisecracking Michener is a worthy character, but no-one else really grabs me and the central heavy-handed political theme of cops v Mexicans simply doesn't resonate to U.K. viewers like a London awash with gothic horrors.

Huge disappointment.

We stuck with COA but after 10 episodes it seems to have stopped. Is that it or maybe just the end of series 1? It didn't really go anywhere.

I wonder if they are doing a Fargo or True Detective thing where each series is a new story with new characters, only loosely tied together by the title. Maybe there are more copies of Penny Dreadful to come.

Back