• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Breaking INTO Jails, Prisons & Police Facilities

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Not sure if this is a student UL, but according to a woman i work with who was involved with Leeds University's rag week, not too long back a group of students from Durham University got in an amazing amount of trouble after they broke ~into~ Durham Prison as a rag week stunt. She claimed that they had quite an elaborate plan that involved scaling the walls to get inside... i forget the specifics of it...

I can't find anything about this on the BBC news site, or on Dogpile, so it doesn't seem to be showing up on the net, so does anyone know anything about this? Or remember seeing anything in their local press?

I can't find anything about this on the BBC news site, or on Dogpile, so it doesn't seem to be showing up on the net, so does anyone know anything about this? Or remember seeing anything in their local press?

Can't say I do - and I'm originally from the North East, where very little happens, so I think I would have heard something if it had happened.

It sounds unlikely - as I recall Durham Prison is a very high security establishment and I can't imagine breaking it would be an easy task.

Well, with all those geography and chemistry students....

Actually, I have a friend up at Durham; I shall ask what he knows via the tom toms of Uni life. I suspect UL too. ;)

I was at Durham until the turn of the Millennium and I never heard anything.

Well, with all those geography and chemistry students....

I think it might have been more the civil engineering students, sure she made mention to said plan involving some elaborate and gadget heavy method of scaling the walls...

:lol: geography students to locate the priz, chemists to make rockets. Civil Engineers to do the hard graft :D

We are what in any other university is called RAG. We were banned from using the name after an ill advised, but rather amusing RAG week stunt in which a student broke into the maximum security prison and left some Cadbury's milk tray on the Governor's desk. Since then RAG week has been DUCK week and we have gone from strength to strength.

http://duck.dsu.org.uk/live/aboutduck_main.php

Unless its a spoof of course. So intriguing I was sad enough to google it. Sheesh. :roll:

Banned from using the word 'rag'. Well, if it means 'raise and give', the ban, should it exist, seems churlish. If rag means to 'rag' (as in rib, tease etc), then the ban is still churlish if money is still being raised for worthy causes - especially when most uni's hold a rag week.

HOWEVER, duck week, eh? like it, like it ;)

Hmmm - they pissed of the home secretary :)

Quite apart from not wanting to be called DRAG instead of DUCK there is a story behind this one. One night many moons ago some lively students from what was then Durham RAG broke into the Durham (high security) Prison and left a box of Milk Tray on the Governor's Desk (token of their appreciation). The Governor and Vice Chancellor (already a bit grumpy) became further enraged when a few days later a group of prisoners broke out of Durham (high security) Prison using the same route that RAG had used to break in. The Home Secretary (no less) was not too impressed and coincidentally Durham RAG was banned (what a drag).

http://www.durham21.co.uk/archive/archive.asp?ID=440

OR should they have rewarded for exposing a flaw in the system (I believe that prison testing, via special forces bods, is quite expensive). Any news if the prisoners were rounded up?

:) The reward would be an entertaining thought. Sadly I can't pin the event down any further - so it could still be an UL :)

Well, I've sent an email to my friend. Perhaps, hell know something ;)

I just checked again with the woman i got the story from, she mentioned (i hadn't realised) that it happened sometime in the late 80s or v. early 90s, didn't realise it was that old, which may be why there's few web sources for it...

Now if I was really interested I would be down at the library going through the local papers. Luckily for my sanity I'm not :)

Lincolnshire Police have started looking for thieves who broke into one of their police stations.
Burglars got into the Coningsby office in the early hours of Monday and stole a police hat and a police radio which has since been deactivated.

They got into the station on Silver Street through the town clerk's office next door.

Officers think they have a good chance of catching the thieves as they might boast in a pub about their exploits.

"It is unusual that a police station gets broken into," said Insp Jason Kwee.

"The officers are naturally concerned and all burglaries are quite upsetting.

"The feelings of some of the officers are no doubt no different to any other victim of crime in that someone has invaded their space and taken their belongings."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/linc ... 681717.stm

Man dressed as Snoopy in 'worst attempted jail-break ever'
A man who tried to break into prison to free an inmate while dressed as the cartoon character Snoopy is being held under the Mental Health Act.
By Heidi Blake
Published: 7:36AM BST 10 May 2010

Prison wardens were baffled when they were confronted by the character from the Peanuts cartoon trying to break down a staff door while apparently waving a gun.

The man and an accomplice, who were attempting to free a relative from HMP Isle of Wight, went on to hurl concrete missiles at prison officers’ cars.

A prison source told The Sun: “It’s not every day you see a giant cartoon dog go on the rampage after trying to break into a prison. They weren’t exactly inconspicuous but they were taken seriously because they appeared to have a gun.

“They caused a real commotion and it was only later they were found to be armed with a water pistol.”

It emerged after the pair were arrested that they had attempted to break into the wrong prison. They had staged the attempted jail-break at the Isle of Wight’s Albany site, while the relative they were looking for was locked up in the nearby Cramp Hill unit.

The source added: “This has got to rank as one of the worst attempted jail breaks ever.”

A spokesman for Hampshire Police said two men, aged 43 and 21, were arrested on suspicion of criminal damage and held under the Mental Health Act after the incident on May 1.

It is not clear which of the two men was dressed as Snoopy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -ever.html

A drunk ex-con broke *into* a jail, whereupon he declared the police couldn't arrest him and there was no transportation delay once he was proven wrong.
“You can’t arrest me for anything:” Ex-con drunkenly broke into the Yakima County Jail

You’ve probably heard about inmates trying to break out of jail, but I bet you haven’t heard of some getting in trouble for breaking into jail. A 31-year-old ex-convict got drunk and broke into the Yakima County Jail on Tuesday night, leading to an easy arrest for local authorities.

... Yakima County Sheriff’s Office spokesperson Casey Schilperoort ... told KAPP-KVEW that the incident took place around 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 13, 2021.

Authorities claim that the suspect jumped over the fence surrounding the jailhouse and went straight for the visitor’s entrance. There, the drunken man broke the door handle off the entrance and use it to shatter glass and enter the facility. Once inside, he made it into the lobby, where authorities made contact with the man. Just before being arrested, the suspect shouted “You can’t arrest me for anything!” ...

Yakima Co. authorities promptly brought him into custody, proving that they actually could arrest him for something.

Now, the former convicted felon faces pending charges for Burglary to the second degree and Malicious Mischief to the second degree. Schilperoort confirmed that no one was injured in the incident and that Yakima County officials still do not know why he decided to commit these crimes. ...
SOURCE: https://www.yaktrinews.com/ex-con-drunkenly-broke-into-the-yakima-county-jail/

Last edited:
This California man broke into a jail complex while under the influence. Having expressed a definite preference for the place, authorities thereupon arrested him to make it official.
Redwood City man arrested for breaking into jail

A Redwood City man who allegedly broke into the Maple Street Correctional Center in Redwood City Aug. 13 and was arrested by a correctional officer pleaded not guilty to two misdemeanors in court Wednesday ...

Prosecutors said that Moises Dona Robles, 35, claimed to be getting away from a man with a gun and did not know he entered into a county jail but admitted to being under the influence of meth and alcohol. A correctional officer saw Robles sitting in the lobby and thought he was an inmate before recognizing him as a trespasser in street clothes and stopping him.

Video surveillance showed he climbed an exterior and interior fence, climbed up to a second-floor patio and went into the jail through the patio door ...
FULL STORY: https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news...cle_dafa9f28-0092-11ec-9ee7-27d7f2242d4a.html

This Bronx (NY) genius broke into a police station to attempt stealing stuff from the commander's office.
Man Breaks Into Police Station, Tries to Rob Commander's Office

There's risky, there's insanely risky, and then there's breaking into the police station to rob the commanding officer's office. ...

According to a senior police official, about 10 p.m. Wednesday, personnel at the 52nd Precinct on Webster Avenue discovered Carlos Luciano inside their CO's office. He had apparently entered through a first-floor window, the senior official said, damaging it in the process.

On being discovered, the official said, Luciano took off running through the station. He was captured on the first floor and taken into custody, where he was charged with burglary. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loc...ation-tries-to-rob-commanders-office/3569638/

Back