• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Swallowing Odd Items

punychicken

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
TheRegister detailing a novel way of getting your car going:

A London woman used her own one-year-old infant to jump start her Ford Focus after the voracious rugrat ate the coded radio transponder from the car's keys.

Mum Amanda Webster, 34, called in the RAC when the car refused to start during a shopping trip. Patrolman Keith Scott was initially baffled until he realised that part of the Focus's key was missing - namely the small coded security chip device without which the vehicle would remain resolutely immobilised.

The finger of suspicion quickly pointed at little Oscar Webster, who had been playing with the keys shortly before. Mercifully, just when a major surgical procedure looked inevitable for the miscreant toddler, Mr Scott had a flash of inspiration.

By pressing the unfortunate Oscar hard against the steering wheel while turning the key, Mrs Webster sucessfully brought the Focus back to life. As for the transponder, it was later recovered in a presumably hugely distasteful rescue operation. Both mother and son are reported well.

Oscar! I ask you! Movie-mad mum or was she hoping he'd grow up
aesthetic?

I was rather hoping the story would involve someone grabbing an
infant and beating the motor with it, Fawlty-style. :p

i thought it would be all cute like they pressed his tummy and the car started lol

JERUSALEM (AP) -- It's the bizarre, nightmarish stuff of a child's nursery rhyme: An Israeli woman swallowed a cockroach and right after it, down went a fork she used to try to fish the critter out of her throat.

A winged cockroach jumped into the woman's mouth as she was cleaning her home in a village in northern Israel this week. And as the story goes, the 32-year-old woman tried to scoop the bug out with a fork but swallowed it as well.

"It's a bit of a strange story," said Dr. Nikola Adid, who operated on the woman on Tuesday to remove the fork from her stomach -- the bug was already digested. "This is the first time I've ever encountered anything like this. None of my medical colleagues in this country have heard of anything similar either."

An X-ray showed the fork, lodged sideways in her stomach.

Adid, a surgeon at the Poria Hospital in Tiberias, on the Sea of Galilee, removed the fork with laparoscopic surgery, a minimally invasive procedure performed through a tiny incision a patient's abdomen.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/07/11/fork.swallow.ap/index.html

How, I mean how, do you swallow a fork involuntarily? Answers on a postcard please...

If It Weren't...

If it weren't in Israel I'd suggest perhaps she had a naughty parish priest as a child.

Definatly one for the next 'fortean times book of inept criminals' :laughing::rofl::hah:
from the times of swaziland 23/08/2003

Man (26) swallows seven bullets

BY SIHLE MAVUSO

MANZINI - In a rare and shocking incident, a suspect who was in desperation to conceal evidence from the police swallowed seven live rounds of ammunition (bullets) of a 9mm pistol almost chocking himself to death.Nhlanhla Mtsetfwa (26) thought he had the master plan laid out perfectly to clear himself of the charge of illegal possession of live rounds of ammunition.

But, it turned out he had not thought hard enough!

Trick The trick happened to him a bit too late as the police, acting on a tip off, were already in his view when he swallowed the seven bullets thus they could see him trying hard to force the bullets to go down his gullet.

There was no form of liquid to wash down the seven bullets save for his saliva.

His apparent discomfort, wide-opened eyes and his occasional stretching of the neck were enough hints for the police to imagine what trick Mtsetfwa could have gone for.

Hopes

The hints had substance hence he was taken in a police van to the Raleigh Fitikin Memorial (RFM) where it was hoped the bullets would be retrieved.

After an X-ray inspection, doctors preferred not to operate the suspect but thought nature would be the best therapy under circumstances as it would take its course, and within 48 hours he had defecated all the seven bullets.

Charged

Mtsetfwa has been arrested and charged for being found in possession of seven live rounds of ammunition without a permit. He appeared for his first remand hearing yesterday before magistrate Siphosini Dlamini in Manzini.

According to a source close to the matter: “the suspect was taken to a security ward in the hospital after he was taken to the X-ray. It was discovered that the situation did not need any operation or a therapy to hasten the removal of the bullets from the body thus they were retrieved whenever he responded to a call of nature.”

Information

Information is to the effect that the police would provide him with a small carton when he wanted to relieve himself. After that they would be left with the assignment of dismantling his waste in search of the bullets. It paid off though.

In the first day (Wednesday) he released two bullets and from thereon until yesterday morning the remaining five also came out.

Confirmed

Police public relations officer Vusi Masuku confirmed the incident.

He said that the man decided to swallow the bullets in a bid to avoid arrest only to find that the police had information to the effect that he was in possession of the live rounds.

“He was taken to the RFM hospital where he released all the seven bullets which he had swallowed about two days ago. He has been charged with possession of seven live rounds of ammunition without a permit. He appeared before the Manzini magistrate court yesterday,” he said.

This has left police shocked as it was established that it was the first time for them to face such an encounter.

In the Liverpool Maritime Museum there is a section devoted to the work of the Customs service and they have a mock up of a room into which "Drug Mules " are put to let the drug packets they have swallowed take their course.

The toilet bowl is connected to what is called a "Glove Box" and officials can manipulate the faecal matter to see if it contains drugs.

I imagine a similar set up was used.

I used to know a guy who was a pot dealer, during a bust he managed to successfully ingest his merchandise though not before he'd had to bite the hand of a policeman who stuck his fingers in his mouth to try and retrieve the goods before he could swallow them.

When the case came to court he was aquitted, the judge saying that 'if he'd stuck his fingers in my mouth I'd have bitten him too'.

The only ill effect that that the dealer reported was that he slept solidly for 2 days in the police cells.

Marie

Brings a whoel new meaning to the phrase "I'm shitting bullets"...

i thought with all the acid in your stomach that there would be a good chance of them of them exploding, isn't this the case?

don't know if any of you folks know or not, but i hope you don't have the knowledge from expirance.

It would take a really long time for the acid to get through the brass. You'd probably have got them out by then.

New Coins Being Gobbled Up

Fri Jan 30, 9:54 AM ET

HANOI (Reuters) - New coins introduced by Vietnam's Central Bank are being gobbled up -- not by collectors, but rather by children who swallow them after mistaking them for sweets.

Since three coins were made available in mid-December after a two-decade absence, doctors have treated at least 17 children for swallowing them.

Over the recent Lunar New Year holidays, six children aged between two and 10 were treated in the central province of Quang Nam after swallowing coins, the Tuoi Tre (Youth) newspaper reported Thursday.

Money is a traditional good luck gift for children during the festival.

The mishaps are an unforeseen headache for Vietnam's central bank, which had hoped the coins would promote the use of vending machines and other conveniences.

The launch of Vietnam's new money has faced other glitches.

Polymer-based, counterfeit proof banknotes that were also introduced last month were hit by rumors that the bills would be withdrawn because they had no year of issue printed on them.

Then jewelry shops complained that their counting machines couldn't read the new notes.

The central bank has been forced to issue stern admonitions.

"Any individual who refuses to circulate the bank notes issued by the State Bank of Vietnam will be named as a lawbreaker and will face tough punishments," deputy governor Nguyen Thi Kim Phung said last month.

In addition to a new 500,000 dong () note, Vietnam also circulated a new design of its 50,000-dong note.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=7&u=/nm/20040130/od_nm/life_vietnam_coins_dc

Ahhhhhhhhhh the dong - its a pity they never made 'Carry on up the Mekong' (aka 'Madam Napalm and her Five Sisters').

Emps

This is an odd one - it appears to be the backstory to the earlier report but they don't mention it happened in 2002 (it almost feels like Chinese Whispers have expanded on the original story but I could be wrong):

Man swallowed 120 coins after drunken bet

A Romanian is in hospital after making a drunken bet that he could swallow more money than a Frenchman.

Gigi Florin, 27, from Piatra-Neamt in north eastern Romania, managed to swallow 120 coins with red wine after the wager with a friend at a bar.

His 62-year-old opponent reportedly swallowed 350 coins weighing more than 12lbs.

Mr Florin claimed that by making the wine warm his stomach would relax and the coins would pass through without any bother. But he collapsed and bar staff called an ambulance.

At first, doctors did not believe his claim. Dr Mircea Coada said: "When we X-rayed him we found a large pile of coins in his stomach. I tried to count the money but I couldn't as there was too much."

Dr Coada added the patient was "like a walking money box and we operated on him immediately".

The Frenchman reportedly died at Cholet General Hospital in central western France after stomach surgery.

He had a history of psychiatric illness and his family had warned doctors that he sometimes swallowed coins.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_873283.html

[edit: And it has already started to circulate:

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=29&art_id=vn20040227020531448C227627&set_id=1 ]

Emps

Was there liquor involved?

I couldn't find a "stuff people swallow (non-UL)" thread.

Doctors Remove Rods From Man's Stomach

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - Vietnamese doctors removed three metal construction rods from a man's stomach about a month after he swallowed them in a rice whiskey drinking challenge, an official said Monday.

Huynh Ngoc Son, 22, swallowed the rods, which were 6.7 inches long and 0.2 inches thick, after being dared by his drinking buddies in mid-May, said Dr. Le Quang Nghia of Binh Dan Hospital in Ho Chi Minh City.

Son went to the hospital last week complaining of serious stomach pains, and X-rays revealed the construction bars were lodged in his stomach, Nghia said.

The rods were removed during a 30-minute operation, and Son's stomach was not seriously damaged by the ordeal, Nghia said.

Son was in stable condition Monday and was expected to be discharged from the hospital this week, he said.

06/14/04 16:58

© Copyright The Associated Press.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news...ff/story/0001/20040614/1658656054.htm&sc=1120

Re: Was there liquor involved?

lopaka said:
I couldn't find a "stuff people swallow (non-UL)" thread.

No worries I knew where it was ;)

I've also merged the pica thread in here as it works with the other elements of the thread.

Emps

Another pica metal swallower?

Thailand

One man's money troubles

Doctors in northern Thailand surgically removed more than 2kg of coins from a man who was operated on after complaining of severe stomach pains, media reports said on yesterday. Sanguan Pongsuwan, 37, was admitted to Phayao hospital, 580km north of Bangkok, Tuesday night, suffering from a stomach ache, ITV reported. Petch, Sanguan's mother, said her son has been suffering mental illness and was undergoing treatment. "When I gave him money, particularly coins, he always disappeared to the toilet" she recalled.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2004/09/02/2003201280

A longer report:

Sep 1, 5:41 PM EDT

Doctors Find Loose Change in Man's Stomach

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- It was almost like breaking open a piggy bank. Doctors performing emergency surgery on a man who was rushed to hospital writhing in pain were stunned when more than 4.2 pounds of loose change spilled out of his stomach.

Sanguan Pongsawat, 37, who has a history of mental disorders, was operated on Tuesday in the northern town of Payao, said Dr. Sakchai Athawiboon of the Payao hospital.

Sakchai said that Sanguan, who lived with his mother, had been swallowing the coins for a long time without her knowledge.

"He is in safe condition. But he has to be in the hospital for some time in case of side effects because the metal coins had been in his body for a long time," Sakchai said Wednesday.

The coins had turned black from stomach acid.

Sanguan was in excruciating pain on Tuesday and was taken to a hospital, where an X-ray showed hard objects in his stomach. They weren't identified until the surgery.

Payao is about 375 miles north of Bangkok.

--------------------
© 2004 The Associated Press.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/STOMACH_STASH?SITE=VTBUR&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

man eating cash

¡½ Thailand
One man's money troubles
Doctors in northern Thailand surgically removed more than 2kg of coins from a man who was operated on after complaining of severe stomach pains, media reports said on yesterday. Sanguan Pongsuwan, 37, was admitted to Phayao hospital, 580km north of Bangkok, Tuesday night, suffering from a stomach ache, ITV reported. Petch, Sanguan's mother, said her son has been suffering mental illness and was undergoing treatment. "When I gave him money, particularly coins, he always disappeared to the toilet" she recalled [url=http://www.taipeitimes.c...w.taipeitimes.com/News/world/a ... 2003201280[/URL]

Still, he was in mint condition.

1lb of gold removed from businessman's stomach by surgeons in Delhi
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 70891.html

The man was sent to hospital and said he had swallowed a bottle cap during an argument, but surgeons found12 gold bars in his stomach

The unnamed 63-year-old man was admitted to hospital in the Indian capital with acute intestinal obstruction after he complained he could not defecate and was vomiting, according to BBC News.

He told his doctor that he had swallowed a bottle cap in anger following an argument with his wife, but in theatre, surgeons discovered almost half a kilo (1lb) of gold bars in his stomach.

Doctors who operated on the man on 9 April told the BBC that police and customs authorities had questioned the businessman and confiscated the gold.

Dr CS Ramachandran, a senior surgeon at Delhi's Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, said he had never seen a “case like this in my life”.

"This is the first time I have recovered gold from the stomach of a patient. I remember having taken out a bladder stone weighing 1kg from a patient. But finding gold in a patient's stomach was something unbelievable," he told the BBC.

"It was a tedious three-hour-long operation. He is an old patient and we had to be careful. We found 12 gold bars lying in a stack in his stomach."

Gold smuggling cases have risen in India, after the country’s government hiked the import duty on gold three times to curb demand for the precious metal, according to the BBC.

Back