People Who Are Discovered Or Re-Surface After Long Disappearances

A

Anonymous

Here’s an old Worcestershire story about an alleged re-appearance (this is the short York-notes style version).

Sir John Attwood, a 14th century knight, was captured during the Crusades and imprisoned. Back at home, his wife waited. And waited. And waited. One morning, shortly after she’d given him up for dead, one of the family dogs started barking wildly and ran to what looked like a bundle of rags in a field. On closer inspection it was a dishevelled man in manacles. Turned out it was Sir John. He told them he had indeed been thrown into a Saracen dungeon far far away, where he had prayed for deliverance. An angel came to him and as he slipped in and out of consciousness, he had a strange sensation of moving through space and feeling soft feathers around him. The next thing he knew he woke up in his own meadow, still in his chains. With no clear idea how he’d actually got there.:eek!!!!:

milk23

Ephemeral Spectre
I heard a tale when i was a wee man about a fellow that went to the shop for some cigarettes then reappeared a year later in an orange suit and happy as a lark after finding himself in india.I booked a ticket on the strength of that story.
i suspect it is the area i live just now but there seem to be a few tales of fellas 'still' out getting 20 benson and a meat pie after a good few years

corsair2000e

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
One thing that has struck me is that there appear to be many more reports of strange disappearances than strange appearances. I can think of Kaspar Hauser and the Green Children, but after those I am struggling. If there was a paranormal explanation to strange disappearances, then I would expect a rough parity with the number of appearances. Perhaps the lack of parity is an indication that most, if not all, disappearances have a mundane explanation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rrose_Selavy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm sure there is a thread for this sort of thing somewhere.

Japanese WWII soldier found alive
An ex-Japanese soldier who disappeared after World War II and was officially declared dead in 2000 has turned up alive in Ukraine, officials say.
Ishinosuke Uwano was serving with the Japanese Imperial Army in Russia's Sakhalin Island when the war ended. He lost contact with his family in 1958.

The 83-year-old has now reappeared, in Ukraine, where he is married and has a family, Japanese officials say.

He is due to visit Japan for the first time in six decades on Wednesday.

Just six years ago, his family officially registered him as having been killed in the war - and his details were removed from the official family registry.

Because of this, Mr Uwano must "return to Japan technically as a Ukrainian citizen with a Ukraine passport," a government official said.

Mr Uwano is due to visit family members and friends in Iwate, northern Japan, with his son before returning to Ukraine on 28 April, the AFP news agency reports.

The Japanese authorities are now restoring him to the family registry.

Strong interest

Mr Uwano's existence came to light last year after he asked friends in Ukraine to help him contact the Japanese government, which then sent officials to interview him in Kiev.

He was one of thousands of Japanese soldiers and civilians who were left stranded across the Pacific and in parts of China and Russia after the war ended.

Some were kept as prisoners and forced to work as slave labourers, others chose to remain of their own accord.

Why Mr Uwano remained in Russia, and how he ended up in Ukraine, has not been disclosed.

There is still much interest in Japan in the plight of former soldiers who never made it home, the BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says.

Last year, Japanese officials returned empty-handed after going to a remote Philippine village to investigate reports that two former Imperial Army members were hiding there.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 916294.stm

Published: 2006/04/17 15:40:21 GMT

© BBC MMVI

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
"He lost contact with his family in 1958....Just six years ago, his family officially registered him as having been killed in the war."

Does....not....compute.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Quite Old-time.

Why Mr Uwano remained in Russia, and how he ended up in Ukraine, has not been disclosed.

This seems overly mysterious too...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
OldTimeRadio said:
"He lost contact with his family in 1958....Just six years ago, his family officially registered him as having been killed in the war."

Does....not....compute.

Though, perhaps - thinking aloud - an elderly relative or similar died 6yrs ago. You know: the type who refuses to give up hope of him returning and the rest of the family can't or won't overule her...

Just guessin'

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
One possibility is that he was thrown into a gulag following the War, developed a liason with a woman he met during those concentration camp years and remained with her when and after countless thousands of prisoners were released after Josef Stalin's death in 1953. Perhaps Ukraine was HER home.

Rrose_Selavy

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Missing WWII vet returns to Japan
An 83-year-old ex-Japanese soldier lost since 1958 has returned to Japan from Ukraine, where he has lived since 1965.
Ishinosuke Uwano muttered a few words in halting Japanese as he flew into Tokyo for a 10-day visit.

"I have never spoken Japanese for 60 years, and first of all I would like to say 'konnichiwa' [hello]," he said.

Mr Uwano was on military service on Russia's Sakhalin Island at the end of WWII but lost contact with his family in 1958, and was declared dead in 2000.

However, unknown to Japanese authorities - or his family - Mr Uwano married a Ukrainian woman and set up home in a town west of the country's capital, Kiev.

He has three children and holds Ukrainian nationality.

Family reunion

Walking into Tokyo's Narita airport accompanied by his Ukrainian son, Mr Uwano smiled and told waiting reporters of his joy at being back in Japan.

I had not dreamed about going to Japan. I remember the cherry blossoms
Ishinosuke Uwano

He said that the government of the former Soviet Union had prevented him contacting his family, who live north-east of Tokyo, once he moved to Ukraine.
"I'm looking forward to seeing and talking with my brothers and cousins," he said.

Earlier, before leaving Ukraine, Mr Uwano described how his memories of Japan had faded.

"I had not dreamed about going to Japan. I remember the 'sakura' [cherry blossoms]," he told Ukrainian TV.

Soldiers' plight

Japanese officials, who arranged the trip after locating Mr Uwano in Ukraine last year, said he was visiting as a tourist on this occasion, but they hoped to arrange to restore his Japanese citizenship.

He was one of thousands of Japanese soldiers and civilians who were left stranded across the Pacific and in parts of China and Russia after the war ended.
Some were kept as prisoners and forced to work as slave labourers, others chose to remain of their own accord.

There is still much interest in Japan in the plight of former soldiers who never made it home, the BBC's Chris Hogg in Tokyo says.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/w ... 921396.stm

Published: 2006/04/19 07:11:33 GMT

© BBC MMVI

fluffle9

Abominable Snowman
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
theyithian said:
OldTimeRadio said:

Does....not....compute.

Though, perhaps - thinking aloud - an elderly relative or similar died 6yrs ago. You know: the type who refuses to give up hope of him returning and the rest of the family can't or won't overule her...

Just guessin'

But how could he have been killed in the war 13 years after it ended?

Human_84

Somewhat human
Maybe they made a simple commitement that in the year 2000 they'd give up if he couldn't be found. Its a good marking point for anything.

Peripart

Antediluvian
I think fluffle's point is that if his family were in contact with him as late as 1958, they could hardly believe that he died in WWII. Makes you wonder, though, how many displaced war veterans there may be around the world, living out lives totally unknown to their former friends and neighbours back home.

Leaferne

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Perhaps registering him as dead permitted them to collect some sort of pension?

OldTimeRadio

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Peripart said:
"I think fluffle's point is that if his family were in contact with him as late as 1958, they could hardly believe that he died in WWII."

Exactly - that's the point I was also attempting to make.

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Missing man returns home after 67 years

Monday July 3, 2006

A Japanese man missing since the second world war who recently surfaced in Russia was reunited with relatives yesterday on his first visit home since he left in 1939.

Yoshiteru Nakagawa, 79, who went missing on the Russian island of Sakhalin in 1945, arrived at New Chitose airport on the northern island of Hokkaido. "Little did I dream of being able to come back," he said. "I'm so overwhelmed with joy I don't even know how to express it."

Details of his life in Russia and family background are not known, but it is thought he was mistaken for a Japanese soldier and detained in Siberian camps.

Guardian Unlimited © Guardian Newspapers Limited 2006

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
A 31-year-long murder mystery has been solved in Germany after the alleged victim turned up alive and well.

Petra Pazsitka, then a 24-year-old computer science student, disappeared from her home in Braunschweig without a trace in 1984 and was officially declared dead five years later.

Although her body was never found, suspicion fell on a man who had previously raped and murdered a 14-year-old girl in the area, who confessed to her murder before later withdrawing the statement.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ve-31-years-after-disappearance-a6668201.html

Could have led to a miscarriage of justice.

kamalktk

Antediluvian
Thought dead by police 42 years ago, woman turns up alive.

http://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/mystery-persists-in-40-year-old-death

Bit more, but not too much more, at link.

"Betsy Langjahr is not Jane Doe.

State police reported Tuesday that Langjahr, long believed to potentially be the unidentified victim in a four-decade-old death, has been found alive and well. She was located through tips that police received as part of a recent media blitz.State police did not say where Langjahr is currently residing. "

Coal

The Ultimate Skepticus
On Radio four this week (Monday) 'Digital human' was on the topic of 'Detection'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gqjpt

It touched on databases formed to collate details of the bodies with no identity to aid those looking for a missing loved one. Fascinating stuff, well worth a listen.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Hermit's 20 years in a forest: Spanish doctor who was declared dead in 2010 is found living in Tuscan nature reserve
A hermit, who was presumed dead after disappearing 20 years ago, has been found alive and living in a forest in Tuscany.

Carlos Sanchez Ortiz De Salazar, a doctor from Seville, abandoned civilisation in 1995, at the age of 26. He had suffered from severe depression. His was eventually declared dead in 2010.

Now two mushroom pickers say they came across his camp on the Cala Violina promontory in a nature reserve on the Maremma coast in northern Tuscany.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-dead-2010-living-Tuscan-nature-reserve.html

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Hermit's 20 years in a forest: Spanish doctor who was declared dead in 2010 is found living in Tuscan nature reserve
A hermit, who was presumed dead after disappearing 20 years ago, has been found alive and living in a forest in Tuscany.

Carlos Sanchez Ortiz De Salazar, a doctor from Seville, abandoned civilisation in 1995, at the age of 26. He had suffered from severe depression. His was eventually declared dead in 2010.

Now two mushroom pickers say they came across his camp on the Cala Violina promontory in a nature reserve on the Maremma coast in northern Tuscany.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-dead-2010-living-Tuscan-nature-reserve.html

Interfering busybodies - the world is full of them.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Dunno if this fits here as nobody really 'disappeared' and the person who 're-appeared' was an impersonator.
Do we have an impersonation thread?

The strange case of “Sergeant Dandy”

(This is out there on the 'net. I came across a reprint of the original Times report a few weeks ago and kept it because it has all the things I like. Crime, sex, mystery, self-delusion - it's like the story of my life. :( )

Long story short, Sergeant Dandy went off to war and in 1915 came back to his wife and family. However, it wasn't really Sergeant Dandy; it was an imposter, who was eventually arrested and charged with false representation.

(There was also a further charge of 'an offence against Mrs Dandy by falsely personating her husband'. This would be a sexual offence, i.e. rape or sexual assault, as when a man pretends to be a woman's husband in order to have sex with her. I was taught about this in a Law class decades ago and this is probably the exact case!)

The impersonator's real name was Hall and his wife stood by him, saying to Mrs Dandy 'It's a caution people don't know their own husbands. You are as bad as he is. I should know my own husband in a hundred.'

At least Mrs Hall's husband did come home when so many did not. Dunno what happened to the real Sergeant Dandy. One imagines a Mad Men sort of scenario.

*You need a Times subscription to read the full article but I have the clipping. ;)

Naughty_Felid

kneesy earsy nosey
Dunno if this fits here as nobody really 'disappeared' and the person who 're-appeared' was an impersonator.
Do we have an impersonation thread?

The strange case of “Sergeant Dandy”

(This is out there on the 'net. I came across a reprint of the original Times report a few weeks ago and kept it because it has all the things I like. Crime, sex, mystery, self-delusion - it's like the story of my life. :( )

Long story short, Sergeant Dandy went off to war and in 1915 came back to his wife and family. However, it wasn't really Sergeant Dandy; it was an imposter, who was eventually arrested and charged with false representation.

(There was also a further charge of 'an offence against Mrs Dandy by falsely personating her husband'. This would be a sexual offence, i.e. rape or sexual assault, as when a man pretends to be a woman's husband in order to have sex with her. I was taught about this in a Law class decades ago and this is probably the exact case!)

The impersonator's real name was Hall and his wife stood by him, saying to Mrs Dandy 'It's a caution people don't know their own husbands. You are as bad as he is. I should know my own husband in a hundred.'

At least Mrs Hall's husband did come home when so many did not. Dunno what happened to the real Sergeant Dandy. One imagines a Mad Men sort of scenario.

*You need a Times subscription to read the full article but I have the clipping. ;)

I don't watch Mad Men, can you elaborate Scarg?
I too would know my wife, it's an odd case alright.

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form

It's also similar to the case of Martin Guerre in 16th-century France. That case was made into a movie in 1982, Le Retour de Martin Guerre, with Gérard Depardieu. The 1993 Hollywood film Sommersby was an adaptation of that story, with the action taking place in the post-civil war US.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Aaaahh, Sommersby, thank you! Had been trying to remember the name of that fillum.

Haven't seen it, always wanted to. I'm intrigued by the clip where she tells him she knows he's not her husband because he's much fitter than old Real Hubbypants.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I too would know my wife, it's an odd case alright.

I'm wondering if this was a case of wishful thinking. Perhaps without her husband the family had fallen on hard times.
Or was she just confused, as she claimed to be?