• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Are Discovered Or Re-Surface After Long Disappearances

Teacher Hid ‘Missing’ Boy in Her Home for Two Years, Police Say

A California public school teacher has been arrested after police say she hid a teenager who had been reported missing for two years, the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office said.

hidden-away-teacher-holga-castillo-770236854.jpg

Holga Castillo Olivares, 61, faces charges of detention of a minor with the intent to conceal from a parent(s) and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, police said.

Olivares is described as a teacher at the Alice Birney Waldorf-Inspired K-8 School, though the boy she is accused of sheltering does not appear to have been her student at the time cops say she hid him. According to the boy’s guardian, Olivares is the mother of one of his friends.

The bizarre saga began in May 2020, when the then-15-year-old reportedly left his home after an argument. Police say he was reported missing that June. Then, in March 2022, he suddenly returned and asked to move back home.

Olivares has been placed on administrative leave by the school district pending an investigation, KCRA reported. She was still in police custody as of Saturday evening and ineligible for bail, according to jail records.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...her-home-for-two-years-police-say/ar-AA13gDOP

maximus otter
I wonder if this is another of the awful cases you read about where the child in question was appallingly treated by his family of birth but that they wouldn't allow him to leave, so he hid out with friends.

Yes, I'm with catseye, and if he had gone back the abuse would have continued then after so long a time it may have been difficult to go back, even tho he was big enough to hit them back, but, why did she not go to the authorities?.

I wonder if this is another of the awful cases you read about where the child in question was appallingly treated by his family of birth but that they wouldn't allow him to leave, so he hid out with friends.

Or:

“…30 per cent — of all teacher-student sexual offences in the US are estimated to have been perpetrated by females.

In the latest available statistics, in 2014, just under 800 school employees in the US were prosecuted for student sex crimes — around one-third of them female.”

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...s/news-story/4d8e1748b46bd5f8486b71154bb97627

In 2022, from 1.1.22 to 30.6.22, 22% of the 135 school staff charged with sex offences involving pupils were female.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1...x-crimes-during-first-half-of-2022/ar-AAZPLgz

maximus otter

Or:

“…30 per cent — of all teacher-student sexual offences in the US are estimated to have been perpetrated by females.

In the latest available statistics, in 2014, just under 800 school employees in the US were prosecuted for student sex crimes — around one-third of them female.”

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/r...s/news-story/4d8e1748b46bd5f8486b71154bb97627

In 2022, from 1.1.22 to 30.6.22, 22% of the 135 school staff charged with sex offences involving pupils were female.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1...x-crimes-during-first-half-of-2022/ar-AAZPLgz

maximus otter
Indeed. There have been cases in the UK recently where female teachers have been prosecuted for sexual offences with students. I seem to recall that the law was changed a few years ago so that those in a position of trust (teachers and the like) can be prosecuted even if the victim is not a minor.

Or:

maximus otter
Could be. But the fact he was the good friend of her son just makes me think this might not be a sexual thing but a protection thing.

But who knows.

Could be. But the fact he was the good friend of her son just makes me think this might not be a sexual thing but a protection thing.

But who knows.
The wording of the article, if you can trust it, does use terms such as "hid" and "sheltering". But it may all come out in the wash eventually.

I think this fits here,

The Boston Division of the FBI announced Monday that they have identified the "Lady of the Dunes," an previously unidentified murder victim found in Provincetown, Massachusetts, in 1974, as Ruth Marie Terry.

The news was delivered to her family on Monday morning.

Terry, from Tennessee, was just 37 years old at the time of her death, authorities said.

On July 26, 1974, Terry was found dead in the dunes about a mile east of the Race Point Ranger station inside the Cape Cod National Seashore in Provincetown.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...th-marie-terry-the-lady-of-the-dunes/2878701/

I think this fits here,

The Boston Division of the FBI announced Monday that they have identified the "Lady of the Dunes," an previously unidentified murder victim found in Provincetown, Massachusetts, in 1974, as Ruth Marie Terry.

The news was delivered to her family on Monday morning.

Terry, from Tennessee, was just 37 years old at the time of her death, authorities said.

On July 26, 1974, Terry was found dead in the dunes about a mile east of the Race Point Ranger station inside the Cape Cod National Seashore in Provincetown.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...th-marie-terry-the-lady-of-the-dunes/2878701/
Now that we know who she is, is the possible theory expressed by Joe Hill (son of Stephen) that the Lady of the Dunes was indeed a quickly-glimpsed extra for the filming of Jaws?This is a 2018 article:
https://people.com/crime/lady-in-the-dunes-jaws-cold-case-mystery/
And Joe Hill's recent tweet about it shows they look very similar:

Last edited:

Mother's Christmas miracle as son missing for a decade turns up in France​

A mother who presumed her son was dead after he went missing over a decade ago has hailed a "miracle" after discovering he is alive and well.

TELEMMGLPICT000320586386_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqFZ2mKB99NyfWHs4BvtAqLreHsZFrEmHQDi0eQN40zhg.jpeg

Joyce Curtis believed that her son Nicholas had passed away as she hadn't seen or heard from him since 2010.

The last thing she knew was that he was hitchhiking around France and Spain, but because of Covid, she thought Nicholas had died and even "grieved for him".

But on December 19 she received a phone call informing her that her son was alive and in hospital in the south of France.

"When I got the call to say he was alive I just went into shock. All I did was cry all day. This has just made Christmas for me, especially since my husband died back in June. It's like that film Miracle on 34th Street. It's like a miracle.”

Nicholas left his home town of Glasgow, Lanarkshire, in the mid 2000s to travel Europe after losing his job as a joiner. He told his mother he had been hitchhiking and Ms Curtis believes he spent some time living rough on the streets of Paris.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...tmas-miracle-son-missing-decade-turns-france/

maximus otter

Great news for her but is that the most recent photo she has of him? I know people didn't take photos constantly back then like they do now but still it seems a bit odd.

Mother's Christmas miracle as son missing for a decade turns up in France​

A mother who presumed her son was dead after he went missing over a decade ago has hailed a "miracle" after discovering he is alive and well.

TELEMMGLPICT000320586386_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqFZ2mKB99NyfWHs4BvtAqLreHsZFrEmHQDi0eQN40zhg.jpeg

Joyce Curtis believed that her son Nicholas had passed away as she hadn't seen or heard from him since 2010.

The last thing she knew was that he was hitchhiking around France and Spain, but because of Covid, she thought Nicholas had died and even "grieved for him".

But on December 19 she received a phone call informing her that her son was alive and in hospital in the south of France.

"When I got the call to say he was alive I just went into shock. All I did was cry all day. This has just made Christmas for me, especially since my husband died back in June. It's like that film Miracle on 34th Street. It's like a miracle.”

Nicholas left his home town of Glasgow, Lanarkshire, in the mid 2000s to travel Europe after losing his job as a joiner. He told his mother he had been hitchhiking and Ms Curtis believes he spent some time living rough on the streets of Paris.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-n...tmas-miracle-son-missing-decade-turns-france/

maximus otter
That’s a very odd story. Why the hell would she assume he’d died of covid? There’s a lot more to her story than she’s revealing.

At least these days there's DNA testing to provide verification.

Top mafia hitman arrested after 16 years on the run posing as a pizza maker

Edgardo Greco, 63, is suspected of belonging to the notorious ’Ndrangheta, which is a hugely powerful mafia organisation in Calabria, southern Italy.

An Interpol — the international police organisation based in Lyon, France — statement said French police, with the help of Italian authorities, arrested the murderer in south-eastern Saint-Etienne, where he had lived since 2014.

Mr Greco was wanted in Italy to serve a life sentence for the murders of Stefano and Giuseppe Bartolomeo in 2006 and has been accused of attempted murder in another case.
The two murdered brothers were beaten to death with a metal bar in a fish shop in Calabria and Interpol said the killings were "part of a 'mafia war' … that marked the early 1990s" in Italy.

Their bodies were never found and are believed to have been dissolved in acid.

The 'Ndrangheta is one of the world's most powerful cocaine trafficking organisations and is seen as the largest threat among organised crime syndicates.

Mr Greco’s arrest came a week after Italian police said it had dismantled a ’Ndrangheta mafia ring dominating a large area of southern Calabria and seized assets exceeding €250m (£223m).

According to documents seen by Agence France-Presse, Mr Greco used the alias Paolo Dimitrio and also worked in other Italian restaurants in the city.

Missing girl, 14, found alive and pregnant inside wardrobe a year after her disappearance

The unnamed teenager vanished in 2021 but a year later she was finally reunited with her father following the horrific ordeal.

Police were tipped off by a member of the public before searching the house in Port Huron, Michigan, and were stunned to find the youngster inside.

She was discovered inside the hallway wardrobe, just metres from where the occupants were sitting despite claims they had never seen the teen.

The four occupants of the address initially refused to let cops enter until they returned with a search warrant - which officers said was a huge red flag.

The young girl was taken to the hospital for a wellness exam where it was also discovered that she was around five months pregnant.

It's believed the youngster had run away from her foster home before vanishing 12 months ago.

Authorities believe that the girl's mother had been moving her from house to house in a bid to conceal her.

Officials are now looking to pursue parental kidnapping charges against the mother while the occupants of the house could also be charged with harbouring a fugitive.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/21353696/missing-girl-found-pregnant-wardrobe-year-ago/

maximus otter

This belongs on a 'Missing Persons Who Are Found' thread but I can't, er, find it.

A car belonging to a long-missing young man has been recovered from a creek in Alabama. His remains appear to be present.
Sky News link -
Remains found in car belonging to US student who disappeared 45 years ago

Mr Clinkscales had not been forgotten and there had been searches over the years. How sad that his parents died without knowing what became of him.

Positive identification of the remains.

Skeletal remains found inside of a rusted-out vehicle in an Alabama creek roughly a year ago have been positively identified as a 22-year-old college student who vanished 47 years ago, authorities said Monday.

Kyle Clinkscales’ remains, which were pulled out of the submerged 1974 Ford Pinto in late 2021, were confirmed with the help of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, the Troup County Sheriff’s Office in Georgia said in a statement.

An official report stating a manner of death has not been completed and so it will not be released, the sheriff’s office said.
The Auburn University student vanished while returning to the Alabama campus from his hometown of LaGrange, Georgia, on the night of Jan. 27, 1976.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kyle...ains-submerged-car_n_63f5014be4b0a209e829fd2a

Im just having the sad image of some relative who;

a) Not very close related.
b) Not rich.
c) Both.

Having to pick up a funeral bill.

Finally at rest, her son gets closure.

A woman found shot to death in the state of Massachusetts in 1978 has finally been identified with advances in DNA technology, officials said.

Patricia Ann Tucker, then 28, was known for decades only as "Granby Girl" after the small town where her body was found. DNA samples from her son - who was five when she disappeared - helped identify Ms Tucker. For decades, she was buried with a headstone marked "Unknown".

"Thank you for never giving up on her," her son, Matthew Dale, said in a statement. "At least I have some answers now after 44 years. It's a lot to process, but hopefully, the closure can begin now."

Ms Tucker's body was found buried under leaves on a logging road in the town of Granby on 15 November, 1978. She had been shot in the temple and her death was ruled a homicide.

The autopsy concluded she had been dead since about June of 1978 and that she was between 19 and 27 years old. But her identity remained a mystery.

"It was advances in forensic science, and in particular, forensic genetic genealogy that provided a new source of hope for identifying the victim," said First Assistant Northwestern District Attorney Steven Gagne at a press conference on Monday. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64874502

A case of spmeone being found alive after 30 years.

In the summer of 1992, Patricia Kopta, now 83, disappeared from her home in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

She was apparently a "well-known street preacher.. who would approach strangers and tell them she had a vision of the Virgin Mary, and the world was about to end," according to a missing person flier. Patricia was known to have mental health challenges and her husband Bill Kopta said she was known to "drop out of sight for short periods." After several months though, Bill reported Patricia missing. Thirty years later, it turns out, she's been living in a nursing home in Puerto Rico. From CNN:

Her husband said that his wife had talked about wanting to go to Puerto Rico to live in a tropical environment[…]
"What [INTERPOL] reported to us was that she came into their care in 1999, when she was found in need in the streets of Puerto Rico," Ross Township Deputy Chief Brian Kohlhepp said.

INTERPOL and the social worker said Patricia was found wandering the streets and through the years she had "refused to ever discuss her private life or where she came from," Kohlhepp said.
In her advanced age, Patricia started revealing nuggets that would eventually spur those around her to contact Ross [Township police in Pennsylvania], Kohlhepp said.

https://boingboing.net/2023/03/06/p...ecades-found-in-puerto-rico-nursing-home.html

Israeli missing for 2 years discovered in Jordan.​

Shalom Rotben, who suffers from PTSD after witnessing a rocket attack, was identified by an Arab-Israeli who wrote on a piece of paper to communicate with him.

Shalom Rotben, an Israeli who had been missing since May 2021 was unexpectedly located in a psychiatric hospital in Jordan and returned to Israel. Apparently, Rotben was admitted to the Jordanian hospital after being found wandering the streets in Amman, and once the doctors realized he spoke Hebrew, they enlisted the help of Arab-Israelis to communicate with him.

Sarah, Rotben's sister, told Ynet that "the missile strike on the building ruined his life. He saw everything, the dead and the injured, and knew them all. Today, a miracle happened to us. I'm excited, I just want to hug him. We didn't hear from him for two years. From that moment in 2012, he stopped talking, kept to his room, and didn't speak.

https://www.ynetnews.com/article/syjg5was2

Caught after 40 years.

A Florida murder suspect who featured thrice on America's Most Wanted was arrested after nearly four decades on the run.

Donald Santini, 65, allegedly used 13 aliases to evade arrest for the 1984 murder of a 33-year-old Florida woman, authorities said.He was serving as the president of a local water board in California at the time of his arrest. Santini was extradited to Florida where he faces a charge of murder.

He was wanted for the murder of Cynthia Wood, a then 33-year-old going through a divorce with her husband. He was the last person seen with her on 6 June, 1984 before detectives discovered her body, strangled and left in a canal.

"The arrest of Donald Santini brings closure to a long-standing cold case and provides justice for the victim and her family after nearly four decades of waiting," said Sheriff Chad Chronister of Hillsborough County, Florida in a statement.

Authorities said he was identified as a suspect shortly after the murder and he fled Hillsborough County immediately.

Santini has appeared several times on the television show America's Most Wanted - in 1990, 2005, and 2013.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66073441

A few questions remain to be be answered.

A Texas man who went missing as a teenager in 2015 after last being seen walking his dogs in Houston has been found alive, his family and police said.

Police and firefighters found Rudolph “Rudy” Farias IV around 10pm on Thursday after getting a call of a person being down in front of a church in south-east Houston, police spokesman John Cannon said.

It was not immediately known where Mr Farias had been the last eight years, Mr Cannon said. Police investigators had not yet spoken with Arias, 25, who remained in hospital.

“What we do know is at the time of his recovery, a good Samaritan located him unresponsive and immediately called police and 911. My son Rudy is receiving the care he needs to overcome his trauma, but at this time, he is nonverbal and not able to communicate with us,” Janie Santana, Mr Farias’ mother, said in a statement.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/a...ger-in-2015-has-been-found-alive-1497211.html

A few questions remain to be be answered.

A Texas man who went missing as a teenager in 2015 after last being seen walking his dogs in Houston has been found alive, his family and police said.

Police and firefighters found Rudolph “Rudy” Farias IV around 10pm on Thursday after getting a call of a person being down in front of a church in south-east Houston, police spokesman John Cannon said.

It was not immediately known where Mr Farias had been the last eight years, Mr Cannon said. Police investigators had not yet spoken with Arias, 25, who remained in hospital.

“What we do know is at the time of his recovery, a good Samaritan located him unresponsive and immediately called police and 911. My son Rudy is receiving the care he needs to overcome his trauma, but at this time, he is nonverbal and not able to communicate with us,” Janie Santana, Mr Farias’ mother, said in a statement.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/a...ger-in-2015-has-been-found-alive-1497211.html
A very peculiar story indeed.

Back