• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Are Discovered Or Re-Surface After Long Disappearances

Aaaahh, Sommersby, thank you! Had been trying to remember the name of that fillum.

Haven't seen it, always wanted to. I'm intrigued by the clip where she tells him she knows he's not her husband because he's much fitter than old Real Hubbypants.

I too would know my wife, it's an odd case alright.

I'm wondering if this was a case of wishful thinking. Perhaps without her husband the family had fallen on hard times.
Or was she just confused, as she claimed to be?

Woman presumed dead found living in internet cafes for 10 years

Police were called to the café in Zhejiang province, China, where the 24-year-old had been sleeping.

She was taken to the local police station for questioning after her identity card was found to be a fake.

The woman, known only as Xiaoyun (or ‘Little Cloud’), explained that she had run away from home aged 14 after fighting with her mother over skipping classes.

She claimed that she had spent the last 10 years eating, sleeping and playing the online game CrossFire in internet cafés in various cities.

Unable to find work, she had relied on hand-outs from café staff and customers.

According to a local newspaper, the police were able to discover the original missing person’s report and proceeded to call her parents.

They said they had almost lost hope of ever seeing their daughter again.

‘I’ve dreamed of her coming home countless times,’ her mother said.

They vowed never to argue again.

It is not the first case of a person setting up home in Chinese internet cafés.

In 2013, a video game addict was reported to have spent six years in the same café in Changchun.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/11/22/woman...iving-in-internet-cafes-for-10-years-5518445/

This seems fairly common in China. They even have branches of McDonald's that stay open round the clock, and people regularly sleep rough inside. The staff seem to be OK with it.

I remember FT magazine writing about a Chinese guy, I think it was probably in strange deaths, who died in a local internet café because he was playing a game none stop around the clock. Can anyone else remember this report please?.

I remember FT magazine writing about a Chinese guy, I think it was probably in strange deaths, who died in a local internet café because he was playing a game none stop around the clock. Can anyone else remember this report please?.

There's several cases of this happening. A quick search for "gamer dies in internet cafe" turns up :

Chinese gamer dies after playing World of Warcraft for 19 hours

A 32-year-old man died after a three-day internet gaming binge, the second time an online gamer died in Taiwan this year.

21-year-old Chinese Gamer Dies After 40-hour MMO Session

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_addiction#Notable_deaths

Canada man missing for 30 years found after remembering identity

A Canadian man who disappeared 30 years ago is set to be reunited with his family after remembering his identity, Canadian media reported.
Edgar Latulip was 21 when he went missing from a home for disabled people in Ontario province.
He boarded a bus, but soon after suffered a head injury that police believe robbed him of his memory.

Mr Latulip lived in the Niagara region under a different identity for decades before experiencing flashbacks.
He told a social worker who checked the name Latulip and discovered it was the subject of a missing person investigation.
A DNA test confirmed his true identity.

"I've been a police officer for 18 years and this is something I've seen on TV but never been a part of," Niagara Regional Police Constable Philip Gavin told the Star.
"Absolutely, this is quite a rare one."

His mother, Ottawa resident Sylvia Wilson told the Record she was "blown away" by the news.
Mr Latulip has the mental age of a 12-year-old, according to the North American Missing Person Network.
Ms Wilson said she had a difficult relationship with her eldest child, but told the Record: "I want to talk to him and help him out any way I can. I just want to see him."

Missing memories:
People who can't remember who they are or where they came from have long captured our imagination.

Before Edgar Latulip, there was Benjaman Kyle. Found naked in a Burger King car park in 2004 with very little recollection of how he got there, finding his true identity became an American obsession.

And in the UK there was Piano Man, a mysterious German found washed up on a beach with a virtuoso musical talent but apparently no memory.

Of course some cases have turned out to be hoaxes, British 'Canoe man' John Darwin famously faked amnesia to try to escape prosecution for massive insurance fraud.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35557275

You're not the one that I want!

Olivia Newton-John’s former boyfriend who disappeared 11 years ago has allegedly been found alive and well in a small fishing village in Mexico, according to detectives.

Woman’s Day magazine claims that Patrick McDermott, who dated the Australian actress for nine years, was found living in Mexico with his German girlfriend.

Investigator John Nazarian told the publication: “It’s rumored he was with a German national. I spoke to people there. The girl he was travelling with was described as having a German accent.”

Mr McDermott’s disappeared in 2005 during a fishing trip. He was 48 and working as a camera man when he set off on the fishing boat "Freedom" from San Pedro Marina on 30 June that year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...t-seen-in-mexico-11-years-later-a6946006.html

You're not the one that I want!

Olivia Newton-John’s former boyfriend who disappeared 11 years ago has allegedly been found alive and well in a small fishing village in Mexico, according to detectives.

Woman’s Day magazine claims that Patrick McDermott, who dated the Australian actress for nine years, was found living in Mexico with his German girlfriend.

Investigator John Nazarian told the publication: “It’s rumored he was with a German national. I spoke to people there. The girl he was travelling with was described as having a German accent.”

Mr McDermott’s disappeared in 2005 during a fishing trip. He was 48 and working as a camera man when he set off on the fishing boat "Freedom" from San Pedro Marina on 30 June that year.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...t-seen-in-mexico-11-years-later-a6946006.html
If I'd ever dated Olivia Nuclear Bomb I'd banish myself to darkest Mexico too

Wouldn't it be something if Adolf Hitler turned up at the ripe old age of 127, and was subsequently designated the oldest living man, then shortly after the oldest man in prison, then man with the most life sentences, man with the most world records, and so on?

Mark Tromp’s children are relieved to have him back but still can’t explain the bizarre family road trip that led to a desperate five-day search for their father.

While elated Tromp has been found safe, Mitchell and Ella say they’re confused about how the family of five came to get in the car almost a week ago, leaving passports, credit cards and many of their mobile phones behind.

“I didn’t feel in danger,” Mitchell told reporters outside the family’s Silvan home on Sunday. “But I had to go with the family because I wanted to see where they were going.

“It was tough to see your family like that and I’ve never seen anyone like it.”

Ella said: “I think our state of mind wasn’t in the best place.”

Tromp and his wife, Jacoba, drove off to New South Wales with their three adult children, Riana, Mitchell and Ella, on Monday.

Mitchell was the only one to bring a phone but that was voluntarily thrown out of the car window to placate tensions. By Tuesday, all three children abandoned the trip and authorities were called in to investigate.

Mitchell, who made his own way to Melbourne from Bathurst, said he’d had enough and thought getting out “was the best idea at the time”.

Riana and Ella left their parents at Jenolan Caves and headed to Goulburn. There, the two daughters split up; Riana was found “catatonic” hiding in the back of a local man’s ute and Ella drove herself back to Melbourne.

On Sunday, she said: “I was still confused about the whole situation. But I needed to get home to feed my horses.”

Jacoba Tromp was found on Thursday in Yass hospital and has since been transferred to Goulburn hospital where Riana is also being treated.

Mark Tromp was found safe about 6pm on Saturday in Wangaratta after being spotted by a passerby and is being cared for by relatives and friends.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-road-trip-that-led-to-search-a-family-matter

An internal document circulated among NSW police warned the family of five may be suffering from group delusional schizophrenia after they hurriedly fled their Victorian home on Tuesday, amid apparently unfounded fears for their lives.

There has also been speculation they may be suffering from a rare psychiatric condition known as folie à deux, a French term meaning “madness of two” which almost always occurs in close-knit families, between husband and wife and between siblings.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...y/news-story/8c86d8c1977beb37d184e310c3f6d96e

Mark Tromp’s children are relieved to have him back but still can’t explain the bizarre family road trip that led to a desperate five-day search for their father.

While elated Tromp has been found safe, Mitchell and Ella say they’re confused about how the family of five came to get in the car almost a week ago, leaving passports, credit cards and many of their mobile phones behind.

“I didn’t feel in danger,” Mitchell told reporters outside the family’s Silvan home on Sunday. “But I had to go with the family because I wanted to see where they were going.

“It was tough to see your family like that and I’ve never seen anyone like it.”

Ella said: “I think our state of mind wasn’t in the best place.”

Tromp and his wife, Jacoba, drove off to New South Wales with their three adult children, Riana, Mitchell and Ella, on Monday.

Mitchell was the only one to bring a phone but that was voluntarily thrown out of the car window to placate tensions. By Tuesday, all three children abandoned the trip and authorities were called in to investigate.

Mitchell, who made his own way to Melbourne from Bathurst, said he’d had enough and thought getting out “was the best idea at the time”.

Riana and Ella left their parents at Jenolan Caves and headed to Goulburn. There, the two daughters split up; Riana was found “catatonic” hiding in the back of a local man’s ute and Ella drove herself back to Melbourne.

On Sunday, she said: “I was still confused about the whole situation. But I needed to get home to feed my horses.”

Jacoba Tromp was found on Thursday in Yass hospital and has since been transferred to Goulburn hospital where Riana is also being treated.

Mark Tromp was found safe about 6pm on Saturday in Wangaratta after being spotted by a passerby and is being cared for by relatives and friends.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...-road-trip-that-led-to-search-a-family-matter

An internal document circulated among NSW police warned the family of five may be suffering from group delusional schizophrenia after they hurriedly fled their Victorian home on Tuesday, amid apparently unfounded fears for their lives.

There has also been speculation they may be suffering from a rare psychiatric condition known as folie à deux, a French term meaning “madness of two” which almost always occurs in close-knit families, between husband and wife and between siblings.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...y/news-story/8c86d8c1977beb37d184e310c3f6d96e

I wish people would read every single page of the MB before posting. We all ready have a thread dealing with this :mad::D

*stares moodily out to sea whilst polishing his navel telescope*

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/cultural-mass-hysteria.6250/page-8#post-1612695

A girl stolen as a newborn from a hospital in Jacksonville, Florida, has been found alive in South Carolina after more than 18 years, police say.

Kamiyah Mobley, who was abducted in July 1998, was found after a tip.

Authorities in Walterboro, South Carolina, have charged Gloria Williams, 51, with kidnapping.

Ms Mobley was living under another name and believed Ms Williams to be her mother. The biological family have been notified of the news.

Jacksonville Sherriff's Office said DNA tests had confirmed Ms Mobley's identity.

She appeared in good health, a "normal 18-year-old woman", it said.

The office said it had acted on 2,500 tips since the abduction and received one last year to @MissingKids that eventually broke the case.

It showed the original composite images released at the time of the kidnapping, along with a photograph of Ms Williams, who was arrested at her home on Friday morning. ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38614824

Missing federal judge is found alive in wooded area after teens discover his car nearby
POSTED MAR 31, 2017 09:43 AM CDT

Times Leader, the Times-Tribune, the Citizens’ Voice and the Associated Press. A police dog was able to locate Kosik, who was about 100 feet from the car.

“At the time, he was awake, he was aware, however he was prone [on his back] out on the ground,” U.S. Marshal Martin Pane said at a press conference covered by several publications. “I would classify him as being aware of us being around him.”

Pane said the judge recognized him and commented that he had gotten a haircut.

Kosik, a judge in the Middle District of Pennsylvania, takes medication for mild memory loss and had stopped hearing cases last month. He had been reported missing Wednesday afternoon. He was known for presiding in the corruption prosecution of two Pennsylvania judges in the “kids for cash” case. Kosik rejected the initial plea deals and later sentenced the judges to prison terms of 28 years and 17½ years. ...

http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti..._alive_in_wooded_area_after_teens_discover_hi

91! Why didn't he retire?

He reappeared but sadly as a corpse. He was dead in his truck at an airport carpark all the time.

A 53-year-old Kansas man missing for eight months has been found dead inside his truck at a busy airport — and now his family wants some answers.

Relatives of Randy Potter, along with their attorney and a private investigator, believe the former T-Mobile manager died shortly after leaving his Lenexa home on Jan. 17, the last day he was seen alive. Police in Kansas City found his body Tuesday after a foul odor coming from his white 2014 Dodge Ram pickup truck was reported at Kansas City International Airport.

Potter’s body, which was found in the driver’s seat, was so badly decomposed that investigators couldn’t initially determine the gender or race, but he was later identified and apparently died by suicide, the Kansas City Star reports. ...

http://nypost.com/2017/09/18/dead-m...king-lot-for-eight-months-and-no-one-noticed/

I can understand her blaming the authorities in some respect, as they have to check the car parks, so they can give fines to those who abuse them, but, blaming everybody else for having no respect for human life cause hundreds may have walked past the car, nooooonono, who looks in cars everytime they pass them?, who thinks,' Ooo, I better check all the cars to see if someone as offed themselves in it' People are busy, they have their own lives

gprs data shouldve been able pinpoint last known location, assuming he had his phone with him, ironic that he worked at t-mobile

choice of airport parking so he wouldnt be found easily ?

... choice of airport parking so he wouldnt be found easily ?

One could reasonably argue the opposite - that it was a relatively secure site where one might well assume he'd be found in the early stage of a mission person search.

Airport parking lots have restricted entry / egress, are regularly patrolled, and are typically covered by CCTV surveillance. The entry ticket / receipt provides a paper trail for piecing together a timeline. Local transportation hubs (airports, train stations, etc.) are reasonably presumptive places for a mission person search to begin. It's one of the few places where one can commit suicide encapsulated (i.e., in one's own vehicle) for eventual discovery.

IMHO it's more likely (assuming this really was a suicide ...) he chose the airport parking area as an ideal venue for dying on a given day with an expectation of being discovered within days.

I'm therefore baffled as to why it took them 8 months to discover his truck.

yeah but there are also long stay sections you can book online at a lot of airports ... an urban car park wouldve been a better choice if he wanted swift discovery etc

Back