• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Are Discovered Or Re-Surface After Long Disappearances

Title says it all -

Homeless man living in London could be Scot Peter McGuire who went missing 24 years ago

Police searching for a missing Scot who vanished 24 years ago believe he may be living in London.

Peter McGuire was 21 when he left his home in High Valleyfield, near Dunfermline , for the last time on January 27, 1993.

A search was launched after he failed to return and police found his car near the Forth Road Bridge .

No other trace was found until police in East Sussex came across a homeless man using his name and date of birth a year ago.
etc

I do hope it's him. If not, there may be something funny going on.

Another missing person found...maybe
Olivia Newton-John's former boyfriend 'found in Mexico after going missing 12 years ago'
'The widow's peak is exact. The eyes are very similar and the ears extend down on the head the same distance. I believe it is him,' says private detective

Click to follow
The Independent Culture
olivianewtonjohn.jpg

Newton-John, who played the lead role of Sandy in cult 1978 film Grease, has previously expressed grief about her former boyfriend’s disappearance Rex Features
The former boyfriend of Olivia Newton-John has reportedly been discovered after going missing 12 years ago.

Patrick McDermott, an American cameraman of Korean descent who was the on and off boyfriend of Olivia Newton-John, is alive and well in a small town in Mexico, according to New Idea.

Mr McDermott disappeared in 2005 while on a fishing trip. The then 48-year-old set off on the fishing boat “Freedom” from San Pedro Marina on 30 June but mysteriously disappeared, with personal items, including his wallet, left aboard.

For the Grease generation, Olivia Newton-John's illness hits hard
While a US Coast Guard investigation released in November 2008 concluded Mr McDermott "most likely" drowned, the circumstances around his disappearance triggered speculation that he faked his own death. In 2009, investigators on Dateline NBC claimed Mr McDermott disappeared to avoid debts - including $8,000 he allegedly owed to his ex-wife for child support.

They later said they believed he was living in a boat off the west coast of Mexico.

New Idea, a long-running Australian weekly magazine, has now claimed it has evidence Mr McDermott is alive after receiving photos by US media agency Coleman-Rayna which show a man who matches his description in the Mexican sun alongside a woman.

"The widow's peak is exact. The eyes are very similar and the ears extend down on the head the same distance. I believe it is him,” private detective, Charlie Parker, told the magazine.

etc

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...ears-ago-former-partner-a8041796.html#gallery

This perhaps sounds a little more dramatic than it is: the toddler in question was missing with her mother and hadn't vanished à la Madeleine.
Still good news though.

Missing girl Elliana Shand found after Sky News appeal

A four-year-old girl who has been missing since May has been found in Spain following an appeal on Sky News.

Elliana Shand, who went missing with her mother, was discovered as a result of a tip-off following a plea for information made by her grandparents.
etc

This one 'disappeared' for only a week, but his story illustrates how far one might travel while MIA ...

Skier lost in New York doesn’t know how he got to California
WILMINGTON, N.Y. (AP) — Police on Wednesday were trying to piece together how a 49-year-old skier whose disappearance sparked a massive search on a snowy New York mountainside ended up six days later in California, confused and still in ski clothes.

Toronto firefighter Constantinos “Danny” Filippidis told investigators he doesn’t know what happened after he was reported missing Wednesday, Feb. 7, from Whiteface Mountain during an annual ski trip with colleagues. The search ended Tuesday when Filippidis turned up in Sacramento, California, some 2,500 miles (4,000 kilometers) west of the Adirondacks.

Police on Wednesday were trying to piece together how a 49-year-old skier whose disappearance sparked a massive search on a snowy New York mountainside ended up six days later in California, confused and still in ski clothes. (Feb. 14) ...

Filippidis told deputies he remembered little, but thought he’d suffered a head injury, rode in a “big rig-style truck” and slept “a lot,” Sgt. Shaun Hampton of the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department told the Post-Standard of Syracuse.

FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/9ecc6301cced4840...ew-York-doesn't-know-how-he-got-to-California

That's a hell of a ski jump, Franz Klammer would be proud.

The fact he's still dressed in his ski clothes suggests a blackout, but he must have had some form of awareness to travel that distance, even if it was just a hitchhike to take him that far. Why go to California though? Wouldn't the driver have taken him to a police station if he was disoriented?

The fact he's still dressed in his ski clothes suggests a blackout, but he must have had some form of awareness to travel that distance, even if it was just a hitchhike to take him that far. Why go to California though? Wouldn't the driver have taken him to a police station if he was disoriented?

Yep - that's the general sense I get from the small amount of data provided so far ... I'm hoping (now that he's surfaced ... ) that additional clarification will be forthcoming.

He did mention some tidbits about a blow to the head, riding in a semi-truck, and sleeping a lot. My first guess would be a head injury or a helluva hangover. It should be straightforward to confirm at least some of the possible head injuries he may have suffered and / or signs of a concussion (even after a week).

I haven't seen anything in the news indicating who last saw him in New York and when / where that last sighting occurred.

He would be, but then, he wasn't a ski jumper...

Seriously, that's an odd tale, and as stated, it's particularly weird that he managed to cross the whole USA before becoming aware enough to call for help. Good that he's safe, though.

I do hope we get more details on this. It's a classic mystery - man goes missing for 6 days & turns up 2,500 miles away, so he's done 400+ miles a day on average. How did he go missing? - he was skiing with colleagues - did he vanish from the group or did he go out on his own? where was he found - in a truck, on the street, in a cranial massage parlour?

If they printed his picture someone may be able to fill in some more details. He must have hitched or got a train. He slept somewhere. Someone would surely recognise him + he was wearing skiing gear, which must be a bit unusual. And did he use his bank card? they must be investigating that trackable stuff.

Personally I think aliens may be involved.

I was wondering if he was still wearing his skis

No. He had his ski clothing and his helmet. To date I've seen no mention of skis, either MIA or found in NY.

Here are a couple of updates from NY news services:

Feb. 14 (RE: What he told California police)

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adiro...issing_skier_told_deputies_he_crossed_th.html

Feb. 16 (RE: He's back in Canada, after checking in with NY authorities)

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adiro...ronto_firefighter_returns_home_to_canada.html

As far as I can tell, he was dropped off in or near downtown Sacramento by a semi-truck in which he'd been riding. He was discovered at the Sacramento airport, but doesn't seem to know how he got there from the downtown area.

The Feb. 16 item mentions he'd been separated from his ski trip party because he wanted to get in one more run on the mountain slope.

NY State Police have issued an appeal for information from anyone who'd seen Filippidis between Feb. 7 and Feb. 13. I mention this because it suggests they're not sure he left the Lake Placid area all that soon after disappearing.

This Feb. 13 article (from the same site) has a few more details about the day he disappeared ...

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/adiro...in_is_outgoing_positive_larger_than_life.html

After 35 years.

A man who deserted from the US Air Force in July 1983 has been apprehended in California, the US military says.

Capt William Howard Hughes Jr, who had top-secret clearance, was last seen withdrawing $28,500 (£21,300) from his bank account at 19 different locations in New Mexico.

A man claiming to be Barry O'Beirne was interviewed earlier this month by officials investigating passport fraud.

Pressed on inconsistencies, the man said his real name was William Hughes.

He claimed he had been depressed about being in the air force so left and created a false identity. He had been living in California ever since, he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44437348

Found but sadly he was deceased.

A body found in woodland last month has been formally identified as a man who went missing three years ago.

Chris May, 28, was last seen at his home in Kelvedon, Essex, on 25 May 2015 - his car was discovered 10 miles away in Fairstead two days later.

His body was found near Braintree on 13 May following a call from a member of the public.

Cause of death is yet to be determined and a full inquest will be held in October.

Mr May's body was discovered at Troy's Farm in Faulkbourne, which is just under two miles away from where his car was found.

Essex Police said detectives were continuing to establish Mr May's final movements and appealed for anyone with information about his death to come forward.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-44438319

Man's body found 40 years after disappearing in Cyprus conflict due to 'unusual' tree

A missing man who was murdered more than 40 years ago has been found - after a seed from a fig in his stomach grew into a tree.
the dead man had been taken into a cave with two others and were killed by dynamite that was then thrown in after them.

the dynamite also blew a hole in the side of the cave, allowing light to flood into the darkened interior which in turn allowed the fig tree to grow from the man's body.

His sister, 87 year-old Munur Herguner, said: "We used to live in a village with a population of 4,000, half Greek, half Turkish. In 1974, the disturbances began. My brother Ahmet joined the Turkish Resistance Organization (TMT). On 10th June, the Greeks took him away."

She added: "For years we searched for my brother in vain."

But she said that unknown to her, the grave had ended up being marked by the fig tree that grew from the seed in his stomach.

The tree was spotted in 2011 by a researcher who was curious as to how the tree had ended up in the cave and especially in a mountainous area where it was not usually found.

While carrying out his research and digging around the tree, he was then horrified to find a human body underneath and raised the alarm. On digging further, police recovered a total of three bodies.

Munur Herguner added that her brother was believed to have been the one that had eaten the fig, and blood samples from her family matched DNA fragments which confirmed it was her brother's final resting place.

As detectives investigated the killing, they discovered that the brother Ahmet and the other two had been killed by dynamite in the cave, and the blast had made a hole in the cave that let in light. He had apparently eaten the fig shortly before he died.

His sister said: "The fig remnants in my brother's stomach grew into a tree as the sun crept into the cave through the hole made by the explosion. They found my brother thanks to that fig tree."

Anyone know where Fan Bingbing is? Looks like she may have been "disappeared", either that or made herself disappear. Unusual to have someone that famous vanish.

Longer article on Fan Bingbing story

According to reports, Fan was detained [for 3 months] at a “holiday resort” in Wuxi, under a 2013 legal framework known as “residential surveillance at a designated location”. It is essentially a legalistic euphemism for disappearance and forced detention. “In practice it often means someone is held in secret and denied all contact with the outside world,”

ends with

We are unlikely to ever know what exactly Fan Bingbing underwent, but the implication is clear: if the authorities can get to the biggest celebrity in the land, they can get to anyone.

She's probably being 're-educated'.

Back