• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

Is there a Creepy London Meet Up Group? Asking for a friend.

Did anyone see University Challenge the other night? There was this young lad on one of the teams who hesitated with his answer and Jeremy Paxman really had a go at him for it.

Anyhow, the contestant really unsettled me. There was something about his mannerisms and the way his eyes were that put me on edge. I wrote if off as him being nervous about being on TV and possible autistic, but I gave me, how can I put it? Uncanny valley feels.

Did anyone see University Challenge the other night? There was this young lad on one of the teams who hesitated with his answer and Jeremy Paxman really had a go at him for it.

Anyhow, the contestant really unsettled me. There was something about his mannerisms and the way his eyes were that put me on edge. I wrote if off as him being nervous about being on TV and possible autistic, but I gave me, how can I put it? Uncanny valley feels.

Missed it. Any clips?

Yes, this is absolutely my own experience too (and not just in the UK). There's a lot of damaged souls out there, and they congregate around dating sites. In fact I've even come to conclude that there is a species of bitter woman who specifically joins such sites with a preplanned intention of revenging on men by generally messing them around.

Just think about it: just why would a woman join a dating site? Men and women's motives are somewhat different here I'd say. Men are still expected to do the running when it comes to selecting a mate - and hence they get involved in dating sites when the pool of available women has dried up - or perhaps because they are too shy(or burned) to make approaches in public arenas. But as for women - the same motives can hardly be paramount. All but the most revolting of women can fail to get approached by men (in the `real` off-line world) if she puts herself out there. so 'd suggest that the ones who go on dating sites are doing so in order that they can more easily screen out the applicants (as it were) - and possibly because they have a very exacting ideal as to exactly what type of man their partner should be.Or..for reasons suggested above.

If you are looking for a partner, then I've concluded that the best (and possibly only) way to do this is to pursue your own `leisure interests` with abandon...and maybe, just maybe,you'll come across a woman who shares the same interest (who also will be seeing you at your best) and something will spark off that way.

It can be difficult to meet new people and dating sites offer a way of doing so. They're clearly used by millions of people, not all of whom will be mad or sad - I'm not convinced they are any more likely to result in problems than meeting someone in a pub. I know people who are happily married to spouses they met on dating sites.

That said I expect if you want to meet a partner that way you probably have to treat it like a job and resign yourself to going on dozens of dates till you meet someone who clicks. There's also the pressure of meeting someone for the first time on a "date" rather than allowing a friendship to develop first and then see where it goes. Ramon's Meet Up idea sounds better IMO.

I saw University Challenge but I can't place the chap you're talking about...?

There's a kid, looks about 16, who's started coming into our shop and he creeps me out a bit .. If you've ever watched the film In The Mouth Of Madness, I keep expecting him to ask me if I read Suter Kain .. he looks just like that kid and never smiles and just 'feels' wrong. I can't put my finger on why exactly.

I can't handle the mentally different. I'm not a people person and pretty much interact on autopilot as i find it exhausting to actually have to engage.

If people fail to respond and act in the way you would normal expect them to i struggle. I don't know how I'm supposed to react to them and i just end up wanting them away from me.

I'm the same. I have the greatest respect for people who chose to work with the less able, those with special needs etc. But I find it frightening to encounter such people as I can't deal with the unpredictability of what might happen next...

Oh my word, see what you mean! Poor lad might be ill?

Poor Michael looks like need a trip to the bathroom.

Last edited:
Yeah, as odd as he is, the Oxford types worry me rather more; well spoken chaps doing variations on PPE or Philosophy...? Meet the next generation of the political elite...

I'm the same. I have the greatest respect for people who chose to work with the less able, those with special needs etc. But I find it frightening to encounter such people as I can't deal with the unpredictability of what might happen next...

I am truly sorry that I have made you feel like this about me :oops:

I can't handle the mentally different. I'm not a people person and pretty much interact on autopilot as i find it exhausting to actually have to engage.

If people fail to respond and act in the way you would normal expect them to i struggle. I don't know how I'm supposed to react to them and i just end up wanting them away from me.

drbates, again, I am gutted I have done something to make you feel this uncomfortable here. :(

Back