• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

^ Chilling, thanks for sharing.

I'd say he, or it, was a little more than just a person that felt wrong!

What about that curious incident of the barking dog in the night time? Wouldn't the fact that nobody heard it indicate this was just a vivid dream to begin with?

It does sound more like a waking dream as most people in real life wouldn't go outside to check on any strange person for fear of attack.

This guy had HUGE black eyes, they took up half his face. But the weirdest thing was his nose. It was a beak and it curved down like a bird. His hair was short, pale and spiky-looking. I don't remember anything about his mouth.
I don't have a particular position to take on this, but this section of your account puts me in mind of, appropriately enough, a vague memory I have. I am not massively familiar with the literature on alien abduction, but isn't there something about owls as screen memories for alien encounters?

But isn't that usually a whole bird, with feathers? This was a man with a bird-face and BEK type eyes. I'm not sure what he was. I'm fairly confident that it wasn't a vivid or waking dream because there was no 'fuzziness' to it. I can remember the chill of the morning, the grey light of the sky. I can recall with clarity all it, even laying in bed trying to fall back asleep for a long time.

Fair enough, I was just musing aloud. It does make me wonder idly about the mechanism by which screen memories, to run with the idea for a moment, are implanted, and whether the process is always infallible - could the combination of humanoid and avian features be the result of some sort of glitch? But as I say, I have no particular position to take on this. Thanks for sharing your account.

It does make me wonder idly about the mechanism by which screen memories, to run with the idea for a moment, are implanted, and whether the process is always infallible - could the combination of humanoid and avian features be the result of some sort of glitch?
I've mused on the same idea - we tend to see what we are expecting to see in the end, especially if what we actually encountered is open to interpretation by the brain.

The brain's is quite good as matching 'scenes' against a set of 'context templates' stored in memory.

There a standard set of pictures (which I can't find at the mo) showing a vague hair-dryer/hand-drill type object and we tend to identify the exact same shape as a different thing depending on the context (workshop/bathroom).

In the same way, a 'scene' presented to the brain which has some identifying features, but not enough, might be cross referenced against a 'context template' from an 'inappropriate' context and then an identification made on the basis of this wrong context.

If something you saw was cross referenced by the brain to the wrong context, you might get the idea you've seen a 'hairdryer' rather than a 'hand drill'. You'll be certain about what you saw as well.

It might be this system just makes mistakes, but equally, your 'context templates' are heavily influenced by what you want to see, so two people looking at the thing in Loch Ness will swear it's: (1) a clear defined reptilian creature with flippers or (2) a log.

Both observers will be convinced they are right and in a way they are, they'll both have seen what they think they saw. If you could 'play back' their memories of the sighting, they'd be different though.

That's kind of the trouble with 'wanting to believe'. It makes it more likely you'll see something. It's not a coincidence that camera evidence is never remotely as convincing as eye witness accounts.

This bird-man puts me in mind of:

"The plague doctor's costume was the clothing worn by a plague doctor to protect him from airborne diseases. The costume, originating in the 17th century, consisted of an ankle length overcoat and a bird-like beak mask often filled with sweet or strong smelling substances (commonly lavender), along with gloves, boots, a brim hat, and an outer over-clothing garment.[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor_costume

Brilliantly spotted Rynner!

So, it could have somebody on Plague Doctor mask or even a more common Venetian mask, painted to enlarge the eyes and with a beak. If so, we would be left with a regular human being with an refined taste for disguises (imagine, after the wave of macabre clowns, brace yourselves for the sinister Venetians).

It would leave out just the alarmed weimaranner, I know very well that they can be noisy...

Brilliantly spotted Rynner!

So, it could have somebody on Plague Doctor mask or even a more common Venetian mask, painted to enlarge the eyes and with a beak. If so, we would be left with a regular human being with an refined taste for disguises (imagine, after the wave of macabre clowns, brace yourselves for the sinister Venetians).

would need k.hammers to weigh in, but his description was not a guy in a mask, but with big black eyes and a beaky birdy nose

Apologies for not reading the previous 20 pages but I sometimes just 'know' someone is a wrong 'un without knowing why. I'm fairly good at reading people for some reason.

If they're in the public eye they may well be popular & well-liked but a few years (or decades) down the line I've often had the great satisfaction of "I told you they were horrible/dodgy".

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you how many clebs I damned 20+ years ago :D [but Michael Barrymore always made my skin crawl in the 1980's and I couldn't bear to watch him...]

would need k.hammers to weigh in, but his description was not a guy in a mask, but with big black eyes and a beaky birdy nose
No, it wasn't a mask. It was his skin. I could see his ears and his hairline.

These misunderstandings or mundanities are not quite as Fortean as the original poster, with that into.
It occurs I should probably supply some detail about the times my sense kicked in and preserved me from disaster.

The most dramatic event is a romantic encounter with a stranger. I had gone to a bar after work for happy hour, some friends came along. My friends headed home, I stayed a bit longer, then he showed up. Handsome man, fit, great smile, seemed fun. We had some more drinks and it became obvious he was "into" me. Though I love to have a good time, I'm less than a playboy and no one is ever into me right away. I rarely have people over, ever rarer to go to someone else's. I'm not feeling so much into him, something is "off." Leon was persistent though and after I was able to get more familiar with his attributes I acquiesce.

He insisted I invite him home. Usually my apartment is messy, or sheets not fresh, (I'm a little slobbish) not this night. Usually I don't do this but always want to. This seems almost too good to be true. Seemed like I should.

Back at my home we get busy, I'm shy but he's persistent and charming. He's really into me. Like if I could Bold really, really. I'm into him too but just in a fun and one kind of way. So all proceeds to conclusion as it does. He wants to see me again.

Now I'm probably less under the influence, I'm definitely feeling something else as well. This guy is looking for way more than I would ever want with him. I'm a confirmed bachelor and I took that seriously. There's more to it though, now in my sober state, there was a quality of "'wrong." I need him out now.

He will at first not leave, wants to spend the night. NO, doesn't work. I don't know you, etc. promises on his part, he "loves" me, "we should be together." It's going from "I need to sleep" to "I need you to leave." I'm feeling more uncomfortable by the moment. Eventually I convince him to go, using the argument if he really loved me he would respect my wishes.

He's gone from hot to creep in a couple hours. I'm left catching my breath, semi panicking and feeling I just dogged a bullet. Gave him a fake number, avoided that bar for awhile. You need my phone number to buzz me at my security building so I feel I'm fine.

Some few months later I come across a photo in the paper, the man looks a lot like me. Header explains "Homicide, Suicide, police involved." Apparently a guy named Napoleon 'Leon' had been served with a Restraining Order by his former boyfriend. They had been together for two months. Napoleon had become obsessed and his lover filed an order of protection. His former boyfriend saw Napoleon coming to his house, had called the police to report. When the police arrived, they tried to shoot Napoleon, while he was using his boyfriend as a human shield. They ended up killing the boyfriend, (the guy who looked like me), and Napoleon put a bullet in his own head.

It's true it took some hours before I saw something wrong, (alcohol,) but I could easily have continued to enjoyed this man's attention and adoration, would have been so different than what I'd been used to, he was just it a little off. He felt wrong. I'm still here. Never found out the victim's name. Heart racing writing it.

Trust your gut, you could literally dodge a bullet.

Yikes! You are very fortunate to have gotten away unscathed.

But isn't that usually a whole bird, with feathers? This was a man with a bird-face and BEK type eyes. I'm not sure what he was. I'm fairly confident that it wasn't a vivid or waking dream because there was no 'fuzziness' to it. I can remember the chill of the morning, the grey light of the sky. I can recall with clarity all it, even laying in bed trying to fall back asleep for a long time.

You weren't dreaming. I had a very similar experience approximately 10 years ago and I wasn't even close to being sleepy.

Apologies for not reading the previous 20 pages but I sometimes just 'know' someone is a wrong 'un without knowing why. I'm fairly good at reading people for some reason.

If they're in the public eye they may well be popular & well-liked but a few years (or decades) down the line I've often had the great satisfaction of "I told you they were horrible/dodgy".

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you how many clebs I damned 20+ years ago :D [but Michael Barrymore always made my skin crawl in the 1980's and I couldn't bear to watch him...]

I hated him too - still do - but on the basis that his act was crap and unoriginal. He's not a criminal.

I'll do a short one to get the ball rolling . . .
A few years ago I was at a friend's Birthday party and she introduced me to her fiance (who was quite new in that role). I understood he was in the army and he kind of looked the part - cropped hair, quite fit. When he shook my hand I got a really creepy feeling from him but obviously couldn't mention this to anyone. Later on he said something about her having "such good-looking friends" and it was just unnecessary and, again, creeeeeepy.
Anyway, a year later I learned from a reliable third party that "army guy" was nothing of the sort. He had delusions of grandeur AND A WHOLE OTHER FAMILY WITH KIDS A FEW MILES AWAY. When my pal thought he was on active service he was cuddled up with wifey and vice-versa. Neither woman had any idea ofthe true situation and God knows where he got his income from. Needless to say, the two women had a chat and he was swiftly ejected from both houses and, apparently, vanished.

Another "ugh" story happened around 20 years ago as I was leaving a theatre. I was waiting for my friend to come out the gents and noticed a few feet away a large, tall gentleman, very smartlydressed and chatting with friends. For absolutely no reason I suddenly felt utterly repulsed (repelled?) by him to the point of panic and moved a little away, so far as the crowd could allow it. My friend then appeared, grabbed my arm and said, "Let's get out of here" and frogmarched me into the street. He'd seen the guy in the bathroom and felt the same as me, even though this man had not approached him or done or said anything inappropriate. We were both twitching with alarm. The stranger just seemed to exude menace that didn't fit with his smart appearance or demeanour at all.

This is part of a communication by myself with author Nick Redfern (just to name drop) whic appears in one of his books, "Women in Black".

As you may already know, I live on the 13th floor of a tower block of flats originally built as social accommodation for families in Manchester just after the war. The local council eventually sold them to a housing association and recently, due to Lottery money and other funding they have been radically improved beyond recognition. Security is very tight, with electronic entry systems front and back, CCTV, inner doors which can only be accessed with a tenant's key and, behind these the actual front doors of the individual flats, which are arranged in sets of three.
Now, in order to view a property you have to apply to the housing association using their official forms and provide ID in order to collect a set of keys to view at an arranged time. Usuall,y a letting officer from the association will come along, too.

Around 18 months ago the flat across the hall from me became vacant after some rather sweet (but seriously in arrears) African students had to move out. It had stood empty for a few weeks after the caretaker had been in and done his stuff. One afternoon I was about to pop to the corner shop when I heard voices in the hall and thought I'd take the opportunity for a peek at any potential new neighbours on the way out.
On opening the front door I was met with the sight of two individuals, a male and female, both white and, I would estimate, in their early thirties. They were dressed as if they had come from an office - he in standard black suit and tie and she in a black skirt suit and white blouse. She had blonde, almost shoulder length hair and he had short brown hair, very neat and conservative. He was tall - a good six feet and looked like he could look after himself she was around five feet six and medium build. Both were healthy looking. Neither had any odd features; they just looked like an "ordinary" couple but there was something "off" about them I couldn't quite put my finger on. I wondered, in fact if they were plain clothes police officers, trying to pass themselves off as a couple.

"Hi!" I said, smiling "are you viewing the flat?" The woman said nothing but the man said, "Er - yes." He smiled back but the smile didn't reach his eyes. He reminded of those Scientologists you see in documentaries who exercise enormous control over their facial movements. Then he reached as if to put an arm around the woman but she looked uncomfortable and moved away. She looked me up and down, quite rudely like a young child might, then turned to look at the front door and asked, in a flat sort of voice, "Is anyone in there, do you know?"

"No", I said, puzzled. Threy said nothing so I continued.

“The flat's empty, of course. They don't let them while tenants are still in! Don't you have keys?" "Oh . . . yes!" said the man, as if the thought had just occurred to him. He cleared his throat and put his hand to his side as if to retrieve keys from his pocket, then repeated, "keys", as if it was a new word in his repertoire. The woman, meanwhile, was staring and frowning at the front door and suddenly reached out a tentative hand towards it, for all the world as if she didn't know how it worked. It really was the most odd gesture - similar to the way a cat reaches out a paw when it's unsure of what it's seeing.

"Is no one meeting you?" I asked. They didn't answer; the woman looked nervous and disorientated, while her companion just stood there like a statue. "Well, I'll leave you to it", I said, "Maybe see you later". There was no response so I set off to the shop and left them to it. When I returned less then ten minutes later there was no one there and no signs of life from the vacant flat. I hadn't seen a car pull away or anyone walking from the building.

Well, there's no reason to suspect these were alien visitors, MIB or anything other than rather odd humans but, even apart from their seeming social awkwardness, the whole situation didn't ring true for people viewing a property. They would have received keys and been met by an agent from the housing association for a start - I've never known anyone be allowed to just wander about on their own in a vacant flat. If they didn't have keys how had they got into the hall? There was no one in the flat to answer the doorbell. There is a chance someone may have let them into the main part of the building if they had rung a number at random or followed someone in but the interior doors are fire doors and you have to use a key on them from the exterior side which no one but the housing association is allowed to make a copy of these. They also didn't seem like your average social housing tenant; they looked too professional, too middle-class but their behaviour was almost autistic. And I swear they weren't a couple in any usual sense of the word - their body language was way off. I never saw them again.

Date: Friday, 2 November, 2012, 20:37

I

They would have received keys and been met by an agent from the housing association for a start - I've never known anyone be allowed to just wander about on their own in a vacant flat.
I bought a house years ago after having been allowed to view an empty house on my own. It was completely empty, the previous owner had it repossessed by the bank and moved everything out. The estate agent couldn't be bothered, so gave me the keys and I wandered around on my own, which allowed me to do my own structural survey. Then I dropped the keys off at the estate agent's office.
Maybe that was the case with them? Maybe they felt awkward about being seen?

I bought a house years ago after having been allowed to view an empty house on my own. It was completely empty, the previous owner had it repossessed by the bank and moved everything out. The estate agent couldn't be bothered, so gave me the keys and I wandered around on my own, which allowed me to do my own structural survey. Then I dropped the keys off at the estate agent's office.
Maybe that was the case with them? Maybe they felt awkward about being seen?

Yeah but this is a housing association flat and they are VERY fussy about who enters properties because of the threat of squatting or other criminal activity. You HAVE to apply for a viewing after all your paperwork and references have been checked and they NEVER give out keys. It's just taken us almost ayear to get a copy key for the shed!

This is part of a communication by myself with author Nick Redfern (just to name drop) whic appears in one of his books, "Women in Black".

As you may already know, I live on the 13th floor of a tower block of flats originally built as social accommodation for families in Manchester just after the war. The local council eventually sold them to a housing association and recently, due to Lottery money and other funding they have been radically improved beyond recognition. Security is very tight, with electronic entry systems front and back, CCTV, inner doors which can only be accessed with a tenant's key and, behind these the actual front doors of the individual flats, which are arranged in sets of three.
Now, in order to view a property you have to apply to the housing association using their official forms and provide ID in order to collect a set of keys to view at an arranged time. Usuall,y a letting officer from the association will come along, too.

Around 18 months ago the flat across the hall from me became vacant after some rather sweet (but seriously in arrears) African students had to move out. It had stood empty for a few weeks after the caretaker had been in and done his stuff. One afternoon I was about to pop to the corner shop when I heard voices in the hall and thought I'd take the opportunity for a peek at any potential new neighbours on the way out.
On opening the front door I was met with the sight of two individuals, a male and female, both white and, I would estimate, in their early thirties. They were dressed as if they had come from an office - he in standard black suit and tie and she in a black skirt suit and white blouse. She had blonde, almost shoulder length hair and he had short brown hair, very neat and conservative. He was tall - a good six feet and looked like he could look after himself she was around five feet six and medium build. Both were healthy looking. Neither had any odd features; they just looked like an "ordinary" couple but there was something "off" about them I couldn't quite put my finger on. I wondered, in fact if they were plain clothes police officers, trying to pass themselves off as a couple.

"Hi!" I said, smiling "are you viewing the flat?" The woman said nothing but the man said, "Er - yes." He smiled back but the smile didn't reach his eyes. He reminded of those Scientologists you see in documentaries who exercise enormous control over their facial movements. Then he reached as if to put an arm around the woman but she looked uncomfortable and moved away. She looked me up and down, quite rudely like a young child might, then turned to look at the front door and asked, in a flat sort of voice, "Is anyone in there, do you know?"

"No", I said, puzzled. Threy said nothing so I continued.

“The flat's empty, of course. They don't let them while tenants are still in! Don't you have keys?" "Oh . . . yes!" said the man, as if the thought had just occurred to him. He cleared his throat and put his hand to his side as if to retrieve keys from his pocket, then repeated, "keys", as if it was a new word in his repertoire. The woman, meanwhile, was staring and frowning at the front door and suddenly reached out a tentative hand towards it, for all the world as if she didn't know how it worked. It really was the most odd gesture - similar to the way a cat reaches out a paw when it's unsure of what it's seeing.

"Is no one meeting you?" I asked. They didn't answer; the woman looked nervous and disorientated, while her companion just stood there like a statue. "Well, I'll leave you to it", I said, "Maybe see you later". There was no response so I set off to the shop and left them to it. When I returned less then ten minutes later there was no one there and no signs of life from the vacant flat. I hadn't seen a car pull away or anyone walking from the building.

Well, there's no reason to suspect these were alien visitors, MIB or anything other than rather odd humans but, even apart from their seeming social awkwardness, the whole situation didn't ring true for people viewing a property. They would have received keys and been met by an agent from the housing association for a start - I've never known anyone be allowed to just wander about on their own in a vacant flat. If they didn't have keys how had they got into the hall? There was no one in the flat to answer the doorbell. There is a chance someone may have let them into the main part of the building if they had rung a number at random or followed someone in but the interior doors are fire doors and you have to use a key on them from the exterior side which no one but the housing association is allowed to make a copy of these. They also didn't seem like your average social housing tenant; they looked too professional, too middle-class but their behaviour was almost autistic. And I swear they weren't a couple in any usual sense of the word - their body language was way off. I never saw them again.

Date: Friday, 2 November, 2012, 20:37

I
Reminds me of The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, a fantastically disturbing novella by Philip K Dick. Your experience sounds very disturbing – I'd have been tempted to call somebody involved with running the building...

Back