• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

I expect he was just a total arsehole. There are more of them around than you'd think.
Either that or it was a distraction technique while somebody broke in 'round the back' and stole a load of stuff.
He wasn't an arsehole. He was polite but sort of 'heavy' .. and we're camera'd up to ****, sight and sound, plus I have all the keys to the place so nobody's sneaking in.

Weird experience. Don't know where you work, but could he have been a "secret shopper", testing you for a reaction? I had a few of those during my decades working, even as a volunteer at a charity. Sussed them out because they acted similarly to what you described, ie wholly abnormally and unnaturally.
That's another thing I thought, yes. Maybe. I've had those before in different places.

Either that or it was a distraction technique while somebody broke in 'round the back' and stole a load of stuff.
Someone told me a few weeks ago that those shops that are smaller versions of big supermarkets are easy to steal from by using that exact method.

They typically only have two or three people on duty so they have to rush about after a delivery to bring stock in while covering the shop.

Keeping staff talking can mean nobody's watching the newly-arrived goods which are still in the yard. If nobody's locked the gates all the spirits can be whisked away in no time.

The person I was talking with about this was laughing at how easy it is.

Last edited:
I think we both know that's not true. Particularly if they feel they are 'controlling' you somehow by making you look for impossible things with ten minutes to closing time....
No it wasn't closing time although I do get those time wasters as well sometimes. But he was attempting to 'micro manage' me I think .. the 'you there! stand still in this place that has suddenly become MY place and I'll tell you when I'm ready!' .. those types last about 5 seconds with me .. I get those as well sometimes. NEVER ever let a customer dictate the speed of service.

edit: and Morrison's Cromer managers are astonishingly arrogant .. that was even picked up 15 years ago in a staff survey there. I half wish I'd done a casual stroll outside our front door, done a theatrical glance up at our sign, strolled back in and said "I've just checked .. we haven't got 'Morrisons' written up there and seeing as I'm manager here and not you, I'm wondering why you're behaving like I work for you?" ..

Last edited:
Go as high as you can to owners/CEO's then get your doctor to write you a week off work with work related stress so it's all on record .. then they have to pay attention .. and keep that adjustable spanner in your back pocket .. and whack his knees as a last resort, not his head or body .. and whack them twice at least if you have to at all. Then leg it. x .. go for the legs.

.. my 'Mr Adjustable' .. that's what I call him because he's good for my mountain bike ..

View attachment 20202
Like in Operation Spanner? Where they nailed each others' 'nads to a coffee table?

I had a relationship with someone who had been abused in every sense. It was strange, she tried to control me, resented any money I spent on myself and not on her (she had no money) tried to stop me seeing my 2 boys, deliberately wound me up to create an argument (which I wouldn't fall for), and would often tell me to shout at her to get my point across. I put this down to the fact that she had had a very miserable abusive married life, but looking back I wonder whether in fact she "got off" in some way with such a relationship, and simply couldn't live with the calm loving environment I tried to create for her. People are just weird.

sounds so much like my brother's ex

I've had a few occasions when I've felt "off" about people or places.

One time coming home from work on the tube (London Underground) this guy got on at King's Cross, I reckon it was earlier than normal, say 4pm. Just looked like an ordinary builder after a day's work.
However he gave off serious weird, creepy vibes. I felt cold and actually felt really scared. He was just sitting on the tube looking at his phone but I was so put off by him I got up and stood up a way away from him down the carriage. Busy Hammersmith and City line etc. He got off a couple of stops later and I remember audibly letting out a big sigh.

On many different occasions I've had a gut instinct to go a different route home. Never known anything to happen but just, "don't walk down that street, go this longer way round"

One time coming home from work on the tube (London Underground) this guy got on at King's Cross, I reckon it was earlier than normal, say 4pm. Just looked like an ordinary builder after a day's work.
However he gave off serious weird, creepy vibes. I felt cold and actually felt really scared. He was just sitting on the tube looking at his phone but I was so put off by him I got up and stood up a way away from him down the carriage. Busy Hammersmith and City line etc. He got off a couple of stops later and I remember audibly letting out a big sigh.

On many different occasions I've had a gut instinct to go a different route home. Never known anything to happen but just, "don't walk down that street, go this longer way round"

Can I ask if you're female or male? I imagine women are more in tune with vibes like that - for obvious reasons. I don't think I've ever had the reaction you had to someone I've seen once and briefly.

Last edited:

Makes complete sense to me.

Women are, on average: smaller, lighter, less physically strong and less aggressive and violent than men. In short, women in general are more vulnerable to the behaviours of men in general than men are to women in general and when you factor in men's sexual interest is predominantly in women this is greatly increased.

It makes sense for women to be more aware of others, dodgy people and dodgy men in particular than men are.

Because we are told to be

There may well be some of this as well, nurture reinforcing nature.

Usually men but some women too.

There was a woman who used to go in our local pub who gave off particular vibes that on one occasion I left because of her. And there are other "interesting" characters that go in but she had something in her eyes that was just cold. She passed away fairly youngish, in her 40's.

Usually men but some women too.

There was a woman who used to go in our local pub who gave off particular vibes that on one occasion I left because of her. And there are other "interesting" characters that go in but she had something in her eyes that was just cold. She passed away fairly youngish, in her 40's.
Yup, we were chatting with another cyclist couple a while ago and I just took agin' the woman. No mystery, she was one of those who talk to a man in front of his partner as if he's on his own. You know the sort.

Niconac- my dear, near namesake. I know what you mean. At the present I am a volunteer covid marshall and last week I had a similar reaction to a customer- no idea why they tweaked my spicy sense but I could not wait to pass them on to the NHS nurse. Now I look back she also seemed quite "distant" with them. At the vaccination centres we are encouraged to make an effort to ensure people are as comfortable and relaxed as they can be whilst waiting to be vaccinated, this often involves s little chitchat etc. Not in this instance.

There was something "hungry" about this one,

I've mentioned before my total lack of any of this ability. Nothing truly dreadful has happened to me yet, although I've had my share of near misses and 'moments I wouldn't like repeated'. And some of the people I have taken an instant dislike to on first sight have ended up as my very best friends.

I'm lacking something, I have no idea what.

I've mentioned before my total lack of any of this ability. Nothing truly dreadful has happened to me yet, although I've had my share of near misses and 'moments I wouldn't like repeated'. And some of the people I have taken an instant dislike to on first sight have ended up as my very best friends.

I'm lacking something, I have no idea what.
I have the same experience. I think our perceptions and analyses of others are very much influenced by other factors which we may not be aware of: emotions, hunger, feeling a little ill, trying to fulfill expectations of our family or friends, etc. Some things only make sense to me in hindsight. Also, for me, my violent childhood permanently colored my interpretation of others' actions and motivations.

Back