• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

Heaven forefend that a man wears a skirt and... gasp! A woman has a good job. AND wears trousers?! Did no one tell her it's 2019 and she still can't have it all?
Ms Popper has a far better job than I, and she wears trousers most days. Some years, she wins 2/3 of the bread around here, and I have no problem with that. Men wearing skirts don't bother me, unless it's purely for shock value which I find tiresome. A guy in a skirt with a manbun and a child named Guacamole is a guy in search of a clue.

No Scottish boyfriend for you! :p

A friend had a rambunctious Scottish boyfriend who'd wear his full regalia whenever possible, for weddings etc.

I once drunkenly asked him 'So, do you ever have sex in the kilt?' to which he replied 'Och, I neverrr NOT have sex in the kilt!'
Women love kilts, it seems.

For a brief spell in the nineties, the kilt was appropriated by the gay community. Scottish ancestry was optional but underwear strictly verboten. I knew a barman who hosed down the bar-stools! :gobs:

A trip to any Pride event will demonstrate that this was no brief appropriation. Although nowadays it's more likely to be some kind of 'utility' or 'action' kilt.

scottish-highland-cotton-deluxe-black-utility-kilt-materials-cotton-kilt-black-fabric-kilt-uti...jpg

Ms Popper has a far better job than I, and she wears trousers most days. Some years, she wins 2/3 of the bread around here, and I have no problem with that. Men wearing skirts don't bother me, unless it's purely for shock value which I find tiresome. A guy in a skirt with a manbun and a child named Guacamole is a guy in search of a clue.

And she's a MS?! My word. Do you heat your house solely on her bras?

Well it's only shock value because society is still shocked by it. If no one "pushed the envelope" and "shocked" people, society would never progress.

In my job everyone is issued with trousers and nobody has ever worn a skirt that I know of, whatever the weather or their sexuality.

And she's a MS?! My word. Do you heat your house solely on her bras?

Well it's only shock value because society is still shocked by it. If no one "pushed the envelope" and "shocked" people, society would never progress.

Are people still shocked by women wearing trousers? Or men wearing kilts? Good grief. My mate Andy (not Scots, not gay) often wears one of those utility kilts. I dare say Mrs Andy doesn't mind.

This is the only place I can think to put this. And I don't know why I'm writing this at all apart from maybe 'better out than in'. Because this has been shitting me up for 2 weeks. Remember my dog-kicking neighbours? The ones who you can sense when they're outside the house because there's this really weird... atmosphere? Think I mentioned it a while back. The dog they kicked in the stomach on the front drive, died a week later (RSPCA inspector told me it had cancer - they were annoyed as it got out of the boot too slowly for their liking after returning from the vet. No marks on it - black lab - and I didn't film it so the upshot was it never happened, apparently - the fact they had been 'going backwards and forwards to the vet' meant they were good dog owners). Later, they got another black lab - this one badly emaciated. I didn't ring RSPCA because what's the fecking point when they do sod all. But I sort of meant to then - it could only have been 1 or 2... we saw it less and less (they never walked it) and... one day we realised we hadn't seen it or heard it for a while. That was back in the spring. We suspect this time they dumped it somewhere as they didn;t seem to have buried it in the garden.

Anyway, two weeks back... they went out and came back holding a puppy. My heart was fecking breaking although I guess it was inevitable. Now they take the kids to the taxi that picks em up for school at the top of the garden each day, holding on to this dog, showing it to the other kids in the taxi, all over it like a rash... publicly, anyway. It looked to be 8 weeks and possibly a golden retriever, I ain't sure. The little girl - who stood and watched impassively when they were kicking the daylights out of Dog 1 - has been standing out there with them, making a fuss of this little pup as if nothing ever happened. I don't get it. I know a (very likely) abused kid knows no different and is probably living in fear herself - but I'd have torn my dad's legs off if he'd kicked a dog, whether I'd been 5 or 15. It makes no sense to me.

I just needed to get that out, somewhere.

What idiots sold these evil prats a puppy? They give off this horrible vibe, just when you look at them. And I thought that long before we saw them kicking the dog-with-cancer. If that pair came ot my house to see a puppy - they wouldn't be leaving with it, for sure, even if I'd never met them in my life. The breeder we got our previous dog from said she had many a prospective owner come through the front door to look at a litter but they'd be kicked out the back, sans pup, if she didn't like the look of them. That's how you'd think most folk would do it. You can actually feel something, somehow, when these people are even present - they radiate "evil" sounds dramatic but truly, they do.

I feel so sad for this little dog. Esp as my own pampered pooch is metres away living the life of Reilly. It seems so unfair.

That's how you'd think most folk would do it.

Sadly, I think there are plenty of people out there who see puppies as a nice-little-earner for cash-in-hand and no questions asked either way.

Phoning the RSPCA may be less effective than dropping them a letter, documenting your concerns. A paper-trail warning of abuse may prompt them to act. :(

Sadly, I think there are plenty of people out there who see puppies as a nice-little-earner for cash-in-hand and no questions asked either way.

Phoning the RSPCA may be less effective than dropping them a letter, documenting your concerns. A paper-trail warning of abuse may prompt them to act. :(
Thanks, James. I hadn't thought of that. Letter it is, when the inevitable "next time" comes round...

They did come out after my phone call, but the Inspector couldn't act as the dog didn't appear bruised and the neighbours could prove they'd been taking it back and forth to the vets which, the RSPCA claimed, was proof they cared about it. But Inspector did also say she knew of a case recently in this area where the dog had not a mark on it but a neighbour had filmed the kicking that dog got, so there was proof. So they didn't necessarily disbelieve me, just it couldn't be proven.

There was some follow up in that they did ring me back again and tell me what had happened - otherwise, I'd never have known.

Letter next time, though. As well as phone call, maybe? I think you're right. People are only likely to stay accountable if they think there's a paper trail. And if it happens again - there could feasibly be no record of the first event.

A bit unfair to say the RSPCA do sod all. It sounds like they investigated and kept you updated. Not bad for a charity who were presented with no evidence other than a verbal report.

The interesting thing with sociopaths is that they are very charming to people who they can use, their entire personality revolves around using people, but when they get found out and challenged on this then the person who has found them out becomes someone that they can no longer use and is no longer of any interest to them.So you do get sociopaths with huge shitlists of people who were at one time friends but then found them out.

Spot-on. A relation of mine married someone like that. The couple would host parties at which everyone was expected to drink too much and make fool of themselves. I'd go but would stay sober so we could get off when we'd had enough.

A few years in I noticed that the guest-list changed regularly, around when I realised that Nutcase In-Law was what I'd now call a sociopath.
People were doing exactly what you describe - letting her get close and then running a mile.

One of my neighbours creeps me up. We used to do art courses together and she is massively talented whereas I'm just a dabbler.

All her conversations are engineered to be about herself and her problems. She's currently undergoing cancer treatment - or is she? Some have doubts - and puts those 'People Who Smile The Most Have The Greatest Pain Inside' posts on Facebook.

Most days it's a straightforward 'I'm in such terrible pain but I have to be brave for my kids, they're my world!' alongside a heavily-doctored 'duckface' selfie. Just of her, no kids.

What surprises me most is that she always has loads of hangers-on around her as if she's some kind of celebrity, while I can see straight through her. She's clearly a narcissist.

I used to see quite a bit of her on the art courses and for a while afterwards, until one day when she and I were chatting in a group and somehow the subject of a particularly nasty bereavement (some years ago) in my family came up. Many present had known the person who died and they all kindly expressed condolences.

Suddenly, I realised that Neighbour hadn't joined in with the convo about the deceased and shot a look at her, to see her glaring angrily. She was actually jealous of the brief attention I was receiving for having lost a close family member in horrific circumstances.

I wonder if she wished, just for a moment, that one of her own would die that way so she'd get sympathy?
Since then I've stayed away from her.

I am not making this up.
:hapdan: I know them all! I feel for you, and am experienced as an annoyed person. As long as people are kind, responsible and fairly clean, though, I don't care what they look like, how they dress, or what their preferred religion/political affiliations/whatevers are.

Back