• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

I cannot tell you how many times I've experienced this in a workplace, everyone knowing something/someone is wrong and/or unsafe and no one prepared to speak but me. I just don't know how they can do it. I can't help but open my gob! And then I become the "problem" because it's easier to target the person making the complaint than it is to tackle the workplace psychopath.

Keep going, escargot! Tough situation but you're doing the right thing.

Thank you! And good for you, being thick-skinned like me.
Someone has to stick their neck out. Then one day it'll be 'Scargy/Scribbles SAID this would 'appen! It's like they KNEW!'
er, yeah, we did know.

I sometimes think 'Don't they even READ Take a Break?' :dunno:

Fingers crossed for you Scargy. My daughter was assaulted by a fellow worker (in front of her boyfriend) and he'd been verbally creepy to other young female employees. He was reported by all of them but kept on because 'he's the only one who knows the job'.

There was a mass walk out shortly after, daughter, boyfriend and three other women he'd been unpleasant to. He's still there, apparently.
I've probably mentioned this before (apologies if so). My mate worked in a large office in Leeds in the 70's. The office had a large typing pool (remember them?) which was the hunting ground for a truly obnoxious middle manager whose sole objective was to sexually harass the girls. He spread horrible rumours if a particular girl wouldn't "perform" for him. A late teenage girl joined the company and of course became an instant target, reducing her to tears on every occasion. What he didn't realise was that this girl's partner was a 6 foot female skinhead who wore steel capped Docs and brass knuckle dusters and delighted in fist fighting during the height of the football gangs. One evening she apparently cornered this little twat in the car park he used and proceeded to beat the living carp out of him. This was before the advent of cctv. He bragged that he had been in a high speed car accident but word soon got out that he had been beaten up by a girl and he became an object of ridicule. Had to leave but someone always made sure the story followed him wherever he moved.
This was the 70's and obviously you couldn't get away with this nowadays. (more's the pity in some ways).

:rollingw:It's probably "Hello" for the likes of them to be fair.

Yup, they're well up on what Posh'n'Becks are up to.

What they really need is a couple of editions of a good old British misery mag. 'My Workmate From Hell Ordeal' type of thing.

When I was doing my Criminology MA I came across quite a few lurid magazine items tailor-made to lob into my papers.

I did of course check what had gone on and whether events were as described.
Interestingly, I found that the magazine stories, which are ghost-written by journalists, were always spot-on with the details. So they are trustworthy accounts.

I've probably mentioned this before (apologies if so). My mate worked in a large office in Leeds in the 70's. The office had a large typing pool (remember them?) which was the hunting ground for a truly obnoxious middle manager whose sole objective was to sexually harass the girls. He spread horrible rumours if a particular girl wouldn't "perform" for him. A late teenage girl joined the company and of course became an instant target, reducing her to tears on every occasion. What he didn't realise was that this girl's partner was a 6 foot female skinhead who wore steel capped Docs and brass knuckle dusters and delighted in fist fighting during the height of the football gangs. One evening she apparently cornered this little twat in the car park he used and proceeded to beat the living carp out of him. This was before the advent of cctv. He bragged that he had been in a high speed car accident but word soon got out that he had been beaten up by a girl and he became an object of ridicule. Had to leave but someone always made sure the story followed him wherever he moved.
This was the 70's and obviously you couldn't get away with this nowadays. (more's the pity in some ways).

I only got as far as 'What he didn't realise' before hitting 'like' and have no regrets.

Heh, I bet he kept his hands to himself after that.

You’re making me nostalgic for Leeds in the 70s...

Yup, they're well up on what Posh'n'Becks are up to.

What they really need is a couple of editions of a good old British misery mag. 'My Workmate From Hell Ordeal' type of thing.

When I was doing my Criminology MA I came across quite a few lurid magazine items tailor-made to lob into my papers.

I did of course check what had gone on and whether events were as described.
Interestingly, I found that the magazine stories, which are ghost-written by journalists, were always spot-on with the details. So they are trustworthy accounts.
My son is doing a degree in footie journalism as we speak and I just remembered when he was in primary school he was addicted to “Take a Break”... must be a journo thing.

One of the favourite stories was “I found my baby in my folds of fat”...

They will have to do something cause if something happens, cause you have reported it, they will be up shit creek without a paddle and possibly the boat, cant afford that, so much easier in the long run to alter his shifts.

Failing that tie him to the railway lines, you become a psycho

But some of the stuff we recorded since I posted... it's far worse than even we had thought.
"Far worse" is horribly bad based on what you've described so far. Obviously it is damaging to the direct victims, the children and the dogs, but it would be traumatizing for observers like you as well. Of course you have the advantage of having decent relationships with kind people, which is vital assistance in any healing process.

Take a Break is very popular -

Welcome to Take a Break...

Britain’s best-selling women’s magazine that’s all about you and your life.
Each week we share your compelling true-life stories, the latest health, fashion and beauty tips, plus cookery and travel.
Don’t miss our exciting competitions with fabulous must-win prizes – including holidays and a top prize of £10,000 in cash. It’s the biggest prize in any magazine!

Doesn't sound miserable, does it!

Not if you win £10,000, it isn't!

I had a spell of buying it and doing the puzzles. They'd take me hours. One day Escet had a go and did them all in about 45 minutes. I gave up.
(He was at the time a postdoc particle physicist. He's always been good at puzzles. Last week we did an Escape Room where he led us to triumph in 42 minutes.)

One happy snail here. All sorted. All I need to do is fill in a form in my best writing and I'll be on whatever shifts I like.

So I'll be going for any time starts and 7pm finishes.
Shame really as I like the late shifts because free mornings are useful but I can't complain!
I'll also have more evening time with Techy. We'll see how well that goes!

I think there is a "thing" in a human suit where I work now. On the surface quite pleasant but a bit of a show off, but capable of saying some really offensive things in a pleasant tone. You think you have misheard/misunderstood, but I am not the only person who has had this experience.

I think there is a "thing" in a human suit where I work now. On the surface quite pleasant but a bit of a show off, but capable of saying some really offensive things in a pleasant tone. You think you have misheard/misunderstood, but I am not the only person who has had this experience.
Sounds like a nasty piece of work.

One happy snail here. All sorted. All I need to do is fill in a form in my best writing and I'll be on whatever shifts I like.

So I'll be going for any time starts and 7pm finishes.
Shame really as I like the late shifts because free mornings are useful but I can't complain!
I'll also have more evening time with Techy. We'll see how well that goes!
Great news, Snail!

Some news on the creepy neighbour front. And there will be more to follow, I guess... Can't put up specifics yet because it's possible there's going to be a court case but let's just say an animal has been got to safety.
That's fantastic, I'm so glad. Do you feel more hopeful now?

That's fantastic, I'm so glad. Do you feel more hopeful now?
Much more, Snail. And I'll go into the story afterwards, when/if it gets to court. I won't say any more about it til it's over. We won't know for a while whether it will but the person who came out said they'd been doing the job some years and that was the most terrified-of-its-owner they ever saw a dog. They had no doubt we did the right thing - this time I gathered evidence. Lots of it. My feeling that these people were 'wrong' seems to have been spot on. I guess one message is - trust your instincts.

And glad your situation seems to have improved. It must affect your work when you were always jumpy/looking over your shoulder so it was to your employer's benefit.

Back