• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

Thank yous all! Yup, the union are aware and will be formally involved next week. I am entitled to copies of the emails and will be having them ASAPto hand to my rep.
In fact I've already been given the ones I mentioned earlier.

Now that my excellent manager has moved my shifts to earlies I'm feeling personally much safer. I won't drop the matter though and will get stuck in as soon as the union are ready.

We work in an industry where one person can cause huge disruption if they disregard their own and others' safety badly enough.
It's not just about me.

Thank yous all! Yup, the union are aware and will be formally involved next week. I am entitled to copies of the emails and will be having them ASAPto hand to my rep.
In fact I've already been given the ones I mentioned earlier.

Now that my excellent manager has moved my shifts to earlies I'm feeling personally much safer. I won't drop the matter though and will get stuck in as soon as the union are ready.

We work in an industry where one person can cause huge disruption if they disregard their own and others' safety badly enough.
It's not just about me.
*pats Skargy on the arse then waits for the court case* .. nice one :)

If it was dark and in a presumably well-lit parking area, then could it be that your car windows were reflecting the street lights in a way that made them reflective? Sometimes if you get the angle right, looking into glass at night is just like seeing your reflection in a very dark mirror, to the point that it's very difficult to see what's beyond the glass. A young man in his twenties could have been vain enough to stop and check how he looked in your car window, maybe not noticing the vehicle was occupied.

This post was in response to @brownmane's experience of being stared at through a car window.

Here's a Guardian article about a similar scenario -
KFC apologises for 'sexist' ad that shows young boys staring at woman's breasts

KFC has apologised for an ad in Australia that shows two young boys staring with their mouths agape as a woman adjusts her breasts.
The 15-second ad features a young woman checking her reflection in the tinted windows of a parked car, apparently not realising anyone is inside the vehicle.

So KFC can read our minds - who'd'a thunk it?

A trip to any Pride event will demonstrate that this was no brief appropriation. Although nowadays it's more likely to be some kind of 'utility' or 'action' kilt.

View attachment 20455
I'm female and straight and would wear that with short running tights.
In fact, I could make one and add about 100 more D-rings and swivel hooks. You can't have too much skirt-based hardware.

I don't mean for this to invite trite jokes (because there are many that could be made), but what does a woman's anatomy have to do with KFC?
Even putting aside the fact it was an insensitive depiction of a woman trying to maintain a good appearance, not to mention an insensitive depiction of adolescent boys, how was that supposed to be connected to a place that sells prepared food?
(I haven't seen the ad, and I don't go to KFC, so feel pretty distanced from the situation.)

I don't mean for this to invite trite jokes (because there are many that could be made), but what does a woman's anatomy have to do with KFC?
Even putting aside the fact it was an insensitive depiction of a woman trying to maintain a good appearance, not to mention an insensitive depiction of adolescent boys, how was that supposed to be connected to a place that sells prepared food?
(I haven't seen the ad, and I don't go to KFC, so feel pretty distanced from the situation.)

The article has a link to the advert. It's dire. Only 15 seconds long.

Not that I pay any attention nowadays, but in the UK the contents of all adverts seem to bear absolutely no relation to the product being sold. Every one seems to feature only women and/or their female offspring, whether it involves products aimed at females or not. Cynical approach by advertisers. Indeed there have been adverts where it has been impossible to establish what they are selling.

What I find disturbing is the sometimes wholly inappropriate soundtracks used. Latest being the cruise company using the 1960's White Rabbit previously used by a car manufacturer. A song solely about taking drugs, according to the writer. Others have been Chandalier, about committing suicide and another about avoiding the Creator on the day of your death (name escapes me). Is this the sort of image the advertisers wish to portray?

Not that I pay any attention nowadays, but in the UK the contents of all adverts seem to bear absolutely no relation to the product being sold. Every one seems to feature only women and/or their female offspring, whether it involves products aimed at females or not. Cynical approach by advertisers. Indeed there have been adverts where it has been impossible to establish what they are selling.

What I find disturbing is the sometimes wholly inappropriate soundtracks used. Latest being the cruise company using the 1960's White Rabbit previously used by a car manufacturer. A song solely about taking drugs, according to the writer. Others have been Chandalier, about committing suicide and another about avoiding the Creator on the day of your death (name escapes me). Is this the sort of image the advertisers wish to portray?

My favourite example of that is a song about sadomasochism being used to sell car tyres.

I've never worked in advertising but it seems to me the most important thing is for the product to be recognised/remembered.

Weird T.V. commercials, that leave one scratching one's head at why certain images and music was used, have served their purpose if the next day at work you're talking about "that strange tyre advert."

I've never worked in advertising but it seems to me the most important thing is for the product to be recognised/remembered.

Weird T.V. commercials, that leave one scratching one's head at why certain images and music was used, have served their purpose if the next day at work you're talking about "that strange tyre advert."

Yup, like the drum-playing gorilla one.

Apparently men 'got' that but women didn't.

Was it chocolate? Must say, being faintly insulted by an advert on the grounds that it's for men and would go RIGHT over my pretty little head doesn't exactly have me thinking 'Mmmm, must pop out and load up on that chocolatey goodness!'

Even putting aside the fact it was an insensitive depiction of a woman trying to maintain a good appearance, not to mention an insensitive depiction of adolescent boys, how was that supposed to be connected to a place that sells prepared food? ...

From an advertising (and, by extension, psyops / propaganda) perspective the "hooks" used to draw attention were the young lady per se, her comically / ironically vain focus on primping little details of her virtual clown costume ensemble, and the dramatic tension of her embarrassment when it was revealed she'd had a front-row / up-close audience the whole time (one of whom - the driver / mom - wasn't amused at all).

This was merely the setup to prep the audience for injecting the ad's message.

The actual message "payload" was the brief montage suggesting a party with KFC justifies / overcomes even a faux pas as mortifying as hers.

Yup, like the drum-playing gorilla one.

Apparently men 'got' that but women didn't.

Was it chocolate? Must say, being faintly insulted by an advert on the grounds that it's for men and would go RIGHT over my pretty little head doesn't exactly have me thinking 'Mmmm, must pop out and load up on that chocolatey goodness!'

Equally I wouldn't buy a product where the advertisers think only females will understand the joys of it - holidays , beds furniture etc. (incidentally why are we bombarded currently with mattress adverts?). Come to think of it I don't think I ever have or ever will by a product advertised on the telly.

That's ok if the advert leaves you with a positive impression of what is being sold. In the case of the cruise company and the drug song mentioned above, it simply leaves me thinking you have to be on drugs to buy what they're selling, and/or it's a drugs party cruise. (Ms PeteS thought the song was about Alice In Wonderland - bless her)

That's ok if the advert leaves you with a positive impression of what is being sold. In the case of the cruise company and the drug song mentioned above, it simply leaves me thinking you have to be on drugs to buy what they're selling, and/or it's a drugs party cruise. (Ms PeteS thought the song was about Alice In Wonderland - bless her)

Did she think The Stranglers' Golden Brown was about acquiring the perfect tan too?

My early shifts are sorted. The boss has unofficially rejigged things for me.
I'm now working just mornings, which for technical reasons means I'm doing more weekends with days off in the week.
Not ideal but I do feel much safer, and it's a weight off my mind.

So today I walked into the depot like this -
Wallace.jpg
and said to my boss 'Look! This is me being happy!'

The bloke is still a danger but not to me any more. Good enough for now!

From an advertising (and, by extension, psyops / propaganda) perspective the "hooks" used to draw attention were the young lady per se, her comically / ironically vain focus on primping little details of her virtual clown costume ensemble, and the dramatic tension of her embarrassment when it was revealed she'd had a front-row / up-close audience the whole time (one of whom - the driver / mom - wasn't amused at all).

This was merely the setup to prep the audience for injecting the ad's message.

The actual message "payload" was the brief montage suggesting a party with KFC justifies / overcomes even a faux pas as mortifying as hers.

Well yeah, we knew all that. It's still rubbish.

The song IS about Alice In Wonderland. It uses the story as an extended metaphor about drug use.

KFC have a series of ads where people do embarrassing things and deflect things by suggesting some fried chicken.
Ads that annoy me are the ones offering instant money( at exorbitant rates which they never talk about) because the situations and the actors used seem incredibly stupid.
I always think you would have to be crazy to use one of those services if those are their usual clientele.

My early shifts are sorted. The boss has unofficially rejigged things for me.
I'm now working just mornings, which for technical reasons means I'm doing more weekends with days off in the week.
Not ideal but I do feel much safer, and it's a weight off my mind.

So today I walked into the depot like this -
View attachment 22661
and said to my boss 'Look! This is me being happy!'

The bloke is still a danger but not to me any more. Good enough for now!

I'm glad to read that but like you say the guy is a Yellowstone Park waiting to blow.

I'm glad to read that but like you say the guy is a Yellowstone Park waiting to blow.

True. I will be talking to the union about him and how dangerous I believe him to be. The Reps know both him and me and they're already aware of his delusions, like everyone else here is. That includes his own managers, who sent my own boss soothing 'humorous' emails about me.

Everyone is afraid of him but I'm the only worker who has pushed for anything to be done. If he does 'blow', and I sincerely believe he will, then I'll be safe and able to say 'Told you so.'

Advertising is 90% 'brand awareness'. There's that theory that you have to see something five (or seven, or eleven) times before it enters your consciousness, so by linking a song and a brand you double the chances of that happening (as your brain will link the music and the images, so every time you hear the music OR see the brand, you will think of it). So they choose music that is distinctive, rather than a perky little 'Buy these tyres, buy these tyres, go on, they are goooooooood!' jingle.

And it's the perfume ones that really get me. How am I supposed to know what Keira Knightly smells like while she wafts around the streets of Paris? Diesel oil and BO?

Glad to hear they sorted Escargot, and as you said, he is still a danger, hopefully the union will do something, it needs the others to come forward now.

The others are too scared to .. he's probably already tried to make some of them 'abandon' Skargy which is a midway level move workplace bullies do and a lot of them sadly will. His end game, if it even gets that far will be that she's asked to sit with him with other managers to iron things out .. if she refuses, managers can say she's being 'unreasonable' .. when a workplace bully has run out of all other options? .. he'll suddenly switch, maybe take time off work with a doctor's note for work related stress and do his best to play the victim to try and make Skargy look like the villain .. Textbook.

The others are too scared to .. he's probably already tried to make some of them 'abandon' Skargy which is a midway level move workplace bullies do and a lot of them sadly will. His end game, if it even gets that far will be that she's asked to sit with him with other managers to iron things out .. if she refuses, managers can say she's being 'unreasonable' .. when a workplace bully has run out of all other options? .. he'll suddenly switch, maybe take time off work with a doctor's note for work related stress and do his best to play the victim to try and make Skargy look like the villain .. Textbook.

Yup, all this has crossed my mind! Especially the being asked to sit with him with other managers to iron things out .. if she refuses, managers can say she's being 'unreasonable' bit.

I'm ready for that though. Nobody can be expected to seriously discuss the danger of attack by an invisible flying all-seeing woman who visits from the Spirit World and has public sex to make her boyfriend jealous.

If that situation arises I will address them in exactly those terms - 'So I am now expected to seriously discuss the danger of attack by an invisible flying all-seeing woman who visits from the Spirit World and has public sex to make her boyfriend jealous? Really? You want me to sit down and talk about that with senior managers?' agitated hand gesture 'Hold on, do you believe this woman exists? Do you believe she flies, visits from the Spirit World, has public sex to make her boyfriend jealous and so on? You do?'

I can keep that stuff up all day.

Sorry, Escargot, I just have to ask—please forgive me, especially if you've already told us and I missed it somehow—but who or what does the invisible flying all-seeing woman who visits from the Spirit World have public sex with? An invisible flying all-seeing Adonis? A chihuahua? Spam on a hoagie roll? Does this supposedly take place where he works? At a pub? In the ice cream section of the Iceland Supermarket?

Yup, all this has crossed my mind! Especially the being asked to sit with him with other managers to iron things out .. if she refuses, managers can say she's being 'unreasonable' bit.

I'm ready for that though. Nobody can be expected to seriously discuss the danger of attack by an invisible flying all-seeing woman who visits from the Spirit World and has public sex to make her boyfriend jealous.

If that situation arises I will address them in exactly those terms - 'So I am now expected to seriously discuss the danger of attack by an invisible flying all-seeing woman who visits from the Spirit World and has public sex to make her boyfriend jealous? Really? You want me to sit down and talk about that with senior managers?' agitated hand gesture 'Hold on, do you believe this woman exists? Do you believe she flies, visits from the Spirit World, has public sex to make her boyfriend jealous and so on? You do?'

I can keep that stuff up all day.
Boy I'd like to be in on that meeting. Can I come as your advocate, even though you don't need one?

Back