• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Feel Wrong

It's pretty uncommon but this reminds me of women who say 'I get along better with men than women'. In such cases I often find that it's not just a general preference, but rather that they view all women as 'bitchy' and don't even attempt to befriend other women... I've come to realise they often just want to be admired by men!

Different, but this reminds me of a female colleague I worked with who said she didn't like working for female managers as she found them to be moody (without exception)... Personally I'd never had any particular, consistent issues with female managers. All the managers I'd had (male or female) had their positives, negatives and random quirks, so I didn't really get it and assumed it was sexism to be honest.

I was quite amused when her next manager (who was male) turned out to be a bit of a nightmare because he was, you guessed it, unpredictably moody and you never knew where you stood with him.
I've got no aversion to either gender in the workplace .. I hate them all equally. Joking aside, I don't know why but more often I get along with female co workers .. not always but three I can think of off the top of my head have been excellent. No flirting or saucy banter etc, they've just worked hard .. 'grafters' .. I've got a lot of time for grafters of either gender. My 32 year old male manager is also a grafter although he's had a tendency to brag about 'getting' the 17 year old female worker to do everything for him to me (because apparently that's supposed to impress me) so she's now quit (I don't blame her) to work somewhere else .. I'll always support staff with health problems but not clock watchers.

I once had a local council worker walk up to me .. I was wearing jeans and a T Shirt so blatantly I was on a day off work plus this happened in a local mini supermarket so I wasn't even at work to ask me if I could book her a table for next Friday night. I was the manager of that restaurant so it was "Erm .. yes?" so I phoned the owner and he booked her in. Piss take.

I've taught 'my' trainees "The second we're officially closed? .. lock the front door." so I know where you're coming from .. some people treat opening times as some kind of vague suggestion.
I used to work in a diner type of place and the owner coached us to do the same with locking up ASAP. We had "irregular regulars" who would come in ten minutes before closing. And yes, some of our customers felt very wrong. They could occupy their own thread.

When I first left school I worked in a bank and we all wore uniforms.
At lunchtime I would often go browsing in one of the big department stores and one day this rather posh couple came up and asked where something was.
I replied that I thought it was on the next floor and when the woman haughtily said that I should know where it was I informed her that I actually didn't work there.
I think they just see a uniform.

I was in a branch of the stationery chain Ryman today, when a very regal elderly lady came in with a marvellous singsong “Ealing Comedy” RP voice.
She made a beeline for one of the shop assistants, and said loudly, with great earnestness, “Can you tell me, do you have cardboard drawers?”
The assistant seems slightly taken aback by this and didn’t immediately respond, so the elderly lady continued, without skipping a beat,
“You are going to repeat that back to me now as a question, aren’t you? So I will save you the bother and ask again; Do you have cardboard drawers?”

Made me chuckle.

I was in a branch of the stationery chain Ryman today, when a very regal elderly lady came in with a marvellous singsong “Ealing Comedy” RP voice.
She made a beeline for one of the shop assistants, and said loudly, with great earnestness, “Can you tell me, do you have cardboard drawers?”
The assistant seems slightly taken aback by this and didn’t immediately respond, so the elderly lady continued, without skipping a beat,
“You are going to repeat that back to me now as a question, aren’t you? So I will save you the bother and ask again; Do you have cardboard drawers?”

Made me chuckle.

I've heard of paper knickers but cardboard drawers is going a bit far.

sorry I can only give you an old one.
fiver.png

This evening.

Out for a stroll, my spidey sense picks up an intensity and rattling noise approaching from the rear.

Look round, it's a woman with shopping trolley, closing on me like Hamilton on Verstappen, crossing the street when I cross, making a beeline for me.

I spin, stop, and walk the other way.

She is very pale, skinny, with bright pink dyed hair.

She walks across the road and into a station.

The it clicked...crackhead.

Only crackheads walk with that blinkered sense of purpose.

@Tigerhawk

Eugene Sandow.
Legend.

I think driving across is okay....just don't stop.

This evening.

Out for a stroll, my spidey sense picks up an intensity and rattling noise approaching from the rear.

Look round, it's a woman with shopping trolley, closing on me like Hamilton on Verstappen, crossing the street when I cross, making a beeline for me.

I spin, stop, and walk the other way.

She is very pale, skinny, with bright pink dyed hair.

She walks across the road and into a station.

The it clicked...crackhead.

Only crackheads walk with that blinkered sense of purpose.

@Tigerhawk

Eugene Sandow.
Legend.
Was on holiday in Miami (South Beach) a few years back with. We'd been for dinner and decided to walk back to our hotel which was about half a mile away. As we walked back my wife looked behind us and became convinced someone was following us. There was a big (6'5" or so) guy behind us who looked like he was just strolling home but Mrs SHS became convinced he was going to mug us. US gun paranoia was running rampant in her mind and he was getting closer. There was a sudden downpour as you get in that city and we ducked into a shop doorway for shelter and he stopped in one a few doors down. Wife starts getting very agitated and says "he's reaching into his bag, he's got a gun, I'm sure he's got a gun". Man pulls out a tiny, pink Disney umbrella and nods good evening to us as he walks on his way

Was on holiday in Miami (South Beach) a few years back with. We'd been for dinner and decided to walk back to our hotel which was about half a mile away. As we walked back my wife looked behind us and became convinced someone was following us. There was a big (6'5" or so) guy behind us who looked like he was just strolling home but Mrs SHS became convinced he was going to mug us. US gun paranoia was running rampant in her mind and he was getting closer. There was a sudden downpour as you get in that city and we ducked into a shop doorway for shelter and he stopped in one a few doors down. Wife starts getting very agitated and says "he's reaching into his bag, he's got a gun, I'm sure he's got a gun". Man pulls out a tiny, pink Disney umbrella and nods good evening to us as he walks on his way
I read that out to Techy and we laughed!

I remember as a child going to a Coles cafeteria in Melbourne.
I was standing while my Mother went to get to get our order.
Suddenly two fierce looking bikies appeared. They had the full gear, tatts, chains, nose rings, leather etc.
I was terrified until one said to the other , " Fancy a cup of tea ducky"? and I had to go around a corner to stop laughing.
This was a time when there wasn't much diversity but I think it taught me not to be afraid of those who looked different.

I remember as a child going to a Coles cafeteria in Melbourne.
I was standing while my Mother went to get to get our order.
Suddenly two fierce looking bikies appeared. They had the full gear, tatts, chains, nose rings, leather etc.
I was terrified until one said to the other , " Fancy a cup of tea ducky"? and I had to go around a corner to stop laughing.
This was a time when there wasn't much diversity but I think it taught me not to be afraid of those who looked different.
Have mentioned this before: visiting Escet in San Francisco some years back we walked along next to a cinema.
The side doors opened and a load of very beefy-looking men spilled out, wearing muscle shirts and rippling with testosterone.

I thought 'Ooer, they look rough!' until I heard them discuss the cast of the movie they'd just seen and oh my God they just LOVED him in it! Yes and HE was gorgeous too! and so on. Bless.

I felt like the character in Soap who'd just met her First Homo. :chuckle:

Escet had a great time in California. I wished I could go round the city thanking everyone for showing him such a great example.

On a big U.S. toura few years ago we stopped in Scotsdale Arizona. Early one morning I was really chuffed to get a moody black and white photograph of two cowboys on horseback.

That was until I saw them in a cowboy show we got dragged to that afternoon.

I never told people back home that they weren't real.

It's pretty uncommon but this reminds me of women who say 'I get along better with men than women'. In such cases I often find that it's not just a general preference, but rather that they view all women as 'bitchy' and don't even attempt to befriend other women... I've come to realise they often just want to be admired by men!

Different, but this reminds me of a female colleague I worked with who said she didn't like working for female managers as she found them to be moody (without exception)... Personally I'd never had any particular, consistent issues with female managers. All the managers I'd had (male or female) had their positives, negatives and random quirks, so I didn't really get it and assumed it was sexism to be honest.

I was quite amused when her next manager (who was male) turned out to be a bit of a nightmare because he was, you guessed it, unpredictably moody and you never knew where you stood with him.
Most of my ( paid ) employment has been in male dominated fields. So I have alway seems myself as one of those women who get on better with men. i realised quite recently that most of those men were intact a bit odd, so I suspect its more a case of I get on with oddballs.

Back