• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Have Never Read A Book

Timble2,

I was going to ask if you had ever read 'Eon' by Gregg Bear. Then I notice you have an 'e' in your username.

Does anyone here anyone here amongst the well read know why I was wondering ?

(clue: Sci Fi)

INT21

The major difference between watching a tv adaption of, say, Anna Karenina, and reading the book is that with the tv the characters and locations a set for you. But with the book you get to create in your mind the whole situation.

Books will always be my choice.

INT21.

On a less literary level - reading the Jack Reacher books and then finding the massive 6ft5", 250 lbs of solid muscle, blonde, blue-eyed Reacher is being played by Tom Cruise.

Timble2,

I was going to ask if you had ever read 'Eon' by Gregg Bear. Then I notice you have an 'e' in your username.

INT21

I've read Eon by Greg bear, don't get your reference though. But it's been years since I read it. I really enjoyed it, problem with the sequel, Eternity, tried to read it twice but gave up on both occasions. Odd, seeing as I am very much a Greg Bear fan.

Escargot,

I've heard that some people run about wearing shorts in the cold for fun.

What d'you reckon to that? Mad, I call it.

Just yesterday I was having a coffee in town and watching the world struggling by in the snow. It was -4C and a strong wind made it feel more like -10C.
And this lad came strolling by in shorts and a sort of long sleeved top. Not a winter coat.

And yes, I also thought 'Stupid B******'.

Must be Darwinism at work.

INT21

Timble2,

INT21
Computational linguistics?

Bigphoot,

..then finding the massive 6ft5", 250 lbs of solid muscle, blonde, blue-eyed Reacher is being played by Tom Cruise...

And another phantasy bites the dust.

INT21

Escargot,

Just yesterday I was having a coffee in town and watching the world struggling by in the snow. It was -4C and a strong wind made it feel more like -10C.
And this lad came strolling by in shorts and a sort of long sleeved top. Not a winter coat.

INT21
The old boy next door (must be over 70) walks around in shorts in this weather. He is a bit barmy.
Has a PhD. Welsh.

Escargot,

INT21

Probably someone Scottish who was feeling too warm :)

Bigphoot,

..then finding the massive 6ft5", 250 lbs of solid muscle, blonde, blue-eyed Reacher is being played by Tom Cruise...

And another phantasy bites the dust.

INT21
Oi! I'm the same height as Tom Cruise.

Mythopeoika,

Computational linguistics?

If I knew what they were I might agree. But I suspect not.

INT21

On a less literary level - reading the Jack Reacher books and then finding the massive 6ft5", 250 lbs of solid muscle, blonde, blue-eyed Reacher is being played by Tom Cruise.

It would be a disappointment for Reacher fans to see him portrayed by that short arsed onanist.

..Oi! I'm the same height as Tom Cruise...

In a world of seven billion people, I suppose someone has to be.

INT21

..short arsed onanist...

But would being short arsed be a disadvantage to an onanist ? I can see that being short in other places may take out some of the fun.

INT21

Thanks, man. I really like Danny.

I really enjoy Peter Robinson's crime novels so I tried one Jack Reacher and didn't like it too much. It feels like he has one eye on the cinema all along, I really couldn't get into it.

I really enjoy Peter Robinson's crime novels so I tried one Jack Reacher and didn't like it too much. It feels like he has one eye on the cinema all along, I really couldn't get into it.

After a while they do become a bit samey - Reacher arrives in small town in the middle of nowhere and suspects something might be amiss., gets into a fight with some local heavies, beats the crap out of them, meets glamorous cop/FBI agent who convinces him there is something going on, kills the bad guys and moves on.

I think the books would probably work better as a TV series, American television has a long history of shows about drifters going from town to town, righting wrongs and then moving on.

It feels to me like his fight scenes are very formulaic. He sounds like he has done some research but has a book of random moves that he chucks into a scene in different orders.

I just find it a bit sad when I hear of people who don't read; they're missing out on so much. I knew someone once who said one of his biggest problems was that books stayed the same which, as well as finding very odd, I think is one of the greatest things about books; maybe the nearest thing to time travel we can get; reading the actual words of people who lived and died long before we were born!

I also find it hard to fathom people who say "I don't like books". I can understand not liking Romances, or Westerns, or Biographies, but not liking books, full stop? That's just weird to me, like not liking breathing :)

I prefer paper books, although I can see the appeal of ereaders; books sure are heavy, and take up massive amounts of room! They're everywhere in my house :)

I just find it a bit sad when I hear of people who don't read; they're missing out on so much. I knew someone once who said one of his biggest problems was that books stayed the same which, as well as finding very odd, I think is one of the greatest things about books; maybe the nearest thing to time travel we can get; reading the actual words of people who lived and died long before we were born!

I also find it hard to fathom people who say "I don't like books". I can understand not liking Romances, or Westerns, or Biographies, but not liking books, full stop? That's just weird to me, like not liking breathing :)

I prefer paper books, although I can see the appeal of ereaders; books sure are heavy, and take up massive amounts of room! They're everywhere in my house :)

My father was a great reader and as soon as I could read had me enrolled in the local library. My mother, on the other hand would read the newspaper and that was it. As far as she is still concerned,if you are reading then "you aren't doing anything."

I prefer proper books to e-readers, got lots and am currently thinking about yet another bookcase :)

Is there a connection between Peter Robinson and Lee Child that made you think the books would be similar?

If I had to say what my favourite books ever were, I would go for the annuals I read as a youngster - Victor, Battle, Hotspur, Warlord, Tiger, Roy Of The Rovers and Shoot.

If I had to say what my favourite books ever were, I would go for the annuals I read as a youngster - Victor, Battle, Hotspur, Warlord, Tiger, Roy Of The Rovers and Shoot.

I, for many, many years, said there was no way I could pick a favourite book (or series; you can't take them in isolation, IMO), but that's changed now*.

*'cos I really, really, really love Harry Potter now :oops:

A real book has the advantage over an Ebook in that you don't need any power to read it. and there are no batteries to run down.

In fact it makes a point that although I have three emagazine subscriptions and a Zinio account, I haven't looked at any of the mags I have paid for in at least a year. where I will often pick up and read almost any book that is laying around.

INT21

A real book has the advantage over an Ebook in that you don't need any power to read it. and there are no batteries to run down.

INT21
Plus, you can use it to prop up a table or burn it if the weather takes a bad turn.

Back