• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Have Never Read A Book

Is it true that tourists still show up at Lewis Grassic Gibbons' preserved house and demand to see the monkeys?
I've heard that too but with some of the daft questions tourists ask it wouldn't surprise me.

The father of someone I knew many years ago was very proud of the fact that he'd only ever read one book in his entire life.

It was Mein Kampf.

The father of someone I knew many years ago was very proud of the fact that he'd only ever read one book in his entire life.

It was Mein Kampf.
That really isn't saying to much, I mean of all the miserable books to choose to for a read?

That really isn't saying to much, I mean of all the miserable books to choose to for a read?
Well quite. It's generally considered a bad book in every sense of the word. Still, I imagine that's the sort of person who says "You can't learn anything from books".*

* So how did you learn to read then smart-arse?

Reactions: Jim
...the jokes are rubbish, and everyone knows how it ends.
Ya 60+ million dead and with Hitler thankfully butting a bullet in his brain. To bad he didn't do it sooner. Really don't have anything good to say about the Nazi: literature or otherwise. BTW you brits may relate? My mums family lost several uncles serving in the RAF and here grandfather was blown to bits by a V2 near wars end. My dads uncle liberated Europe and saw Nazi atrocities 1st hand, I believe it was Dachau. Apologies if off topic.

It occurs to me that all of us here, are reading, right now. And many here, are not bad writers,.,

Books? Who needs books?
Interactive reading is quite entertaining...

I suppose it is sad that people don’t carry around a good book as often as they used to, but many do read quite a bit on their devices... in fact, many prefer texting over talking.

Our youngest son has just this week moved in with a girl, who's family, according to him, do not own a single book. I am not quite sure what to make of this.

Our youngest son has just this week moved in with a girl, who's family, according to him, do not own a single book. I am not quite sure what to make of this.
Do they read though? My son is paper deficient, and simply doesn't do paper...but he does read.

Reactions: Jim
Do they read though? My son is paper deficient, and simply doesn't do paper...but he does read.

Our son's girlfriend certainly can and whilst I don't know her family well, her father has a middle management job in a large multi-national company, her brother, a factory worker, her mother a stay at home mum. All indications are that they read. They certainly communicate with each other by text and Facebook.

I never watch TV, I have not paid a licence since 2003, and my screen is only connected to my PC, Video and DVD.
When I tell people they usually say "What do you do?"
When I say I read over 150 books a year they either, rarely, say "That's great, I'd love to do that", or say "I can't read books" and look at me as if I'm insane.
CW

Back