• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

Help me out here please guys...

Trying to remember one I was fascinated in but remember almost nothing...

America. Quite successful guy. Leaves his truck in the desert, disappears. Truck doors open wide. I think, maybe his, Mother called his phone and had some odd replies...maybe they tracked the phone down to a cabin?

Not a lot to go on I know.

Are you sure it was a truck? I think it was a car and he was ex-airforce, military, or something. The car tracks lead to the car and it's empty. The last calls are traced from a local motel

Hmmmm...maybe...I seem to remember the calls were answered by a guy in a cabin...they tracked him down...somehow, despite him being scketchy, there was nothing to pin on him...

I may have dreamt it :p

don't think so it feels uncannily similar.

what's your scenario?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Brandon_Lawson

This isn't it...chilling though.

The fact he's talking to the cop saying he can see them...cops can't see a thing...

o_O

That's a good one... well, "good" in the sense it's a strong mystery, rather than he disappeared. But the drugs element may be significant, he might have been off his face and fell into a ditch or some other landmark where he wouldn't be found. Though to vanish so completely is very strange.

Going back to the second post on this thread "10 People Who May Have Disappeared Into Another Dimension", many of these disappeared in wilderness areas. One should never underestimate the ability of wilderness to eat people up without trace. I love the wilderness, but I always get a healthy dose of fear as I head out into it - it fades as I hike, but at the beginning it's a sense of "look at that, that can kill me in no time flat". Even relatively benign countryside can turn hostile in a hurry, if the weather really sets in. And that is not taking into account people who head off for the express purpose of suicide. Some years ago, in a local beauty spot that is heavily frequented by dog-walkers, joggers etc. someone's dog came back with a human bone from someone who had disappeared without trace over a year earlier (sorry, I would have posted more details but Google wasn't particularly cooperative). As I recall, this person had taken themselves into a thicket off one of the footpaths and committed suicide, and the body not found until said dog found the bone, leading to a police search finding the skeleton. :(
People who live in cities can underestimate just how ferocious 'outdoors' can be, even here in the UK. I've lost count of how many people I've seen up on the moors, walking in flip flops and T shirts over uneven terrain, only one small slip from a broken ankle.

We had a poor chap kill himself not far from here. They found his car pretty quickly, took a couple of months to find him, even though he'd hanged himself from a tree, not far from a path. It is very very easy to lose a body in undergrowth.

I agree absolutely... A couple of years ago I was hiking a snow-covered ridge above Ambleside and came across a bunch of lightly-dressed teenagers with no equipment at all.

Last edited:

America. Quite successful guy. Leaves his truck in the desert, disappears. Truck doors open wide. I think, maybe his, Mother called his phone and had some odd replies...maybe they tracked the phone down to a cabin?

It sounds familiar to me for some reason, but it does sound like a plot from CSI. I watch a lot of detective type shows, so it’s unsurprising if one of them lifted a storyline from a real case.

Try number 5 on this list

The Mysterious Death Of Don Kemp

https://listverse.com/2016/04/05/10-creepy-mysteries-involving-abandoned-vehicles/

Is it still talked of locally? People must be aware of the memorial.

My grandparents were all born around 1908 and would have heard about this incident from their older relations.
So one imagines someone of my age from that area might have heard about it from their own grandparents. Almost from the horse's mouth!
There'd surely be dark talk of suspects.

Like this -

Around when I was born in the 1950s there was a spate of mysterious deaths in my home town, where young women were found to have somehow fallen downstairs when in their houses alone or only with very young children present. There was talk of foul play but no arrests.

My mother and aunts still spoke about it up to the '70s and would exchange knowing glances. There seemed to be a belief that someone knew what had really gone on and maybe who was responsible.

All I could get out of them was that the front door was always locked and we kids weren't to open it. If someone knocked we fetched an adult.
It seemed that locals thought the women who'd died had let someone in and been attacked.

This was in a working class area where everyone knew everyone else and you'd expect doors to be left open as per the good old days-type cliche. Most unusual really.
As far as I’m aware it was always just considered a terrible accident. Though he’d walked a long way for such a small boy, it’s a straightforward path. If I should find out anything else I will let you know!

I am reminded of the very, very early days of FT (The News actually) when there was a lot of focus on mysterious disappearances. In very first issue of The News there is a report of the mysterious disappearance of Lucy Partington, last seen at a bus stop in Gloucester and seemingly vanished into thin air. Many years later we now know she was one of the victims of Fred and Rose West.

Around when I was born in the 1950s there was a spate of mysterious deaths in my home town, where young women were found to have somehow fallen downstairs when in their houses alone or only with very young children present. There was talk of foul play but no arrests.
Would it be possible that they were anemic and stressed and overworked, and maybe just felt faint at the wrong moment? :(

Long story short: in August 1900 a young father and his five year-old son Tommy were walking up a Welsh hill when the boy went missing.
A search ensued but Tommy was not found.

About a month later a woman, a stranger to Tommy's family, dreamed that he would be found on top of a hill.

She and some relations went to look and found him dead, 1,300ft higher than when he was last seen. His cause of death was eventually given as exposure.

Tommy Jones: little boy lost on the Beacons

That reminded me somewhat of a case in Scotland from 1988. I first read about it in the excellent book "Scotland's Unsolved Mysteries of the Twentieth Century"

Five year old Stephen McKerron disappeared from a holiday park in Ayr; launching Scotland's biggest ever hunt for a missing child. He was later found in the hills six miles from the holiday camp (and just outside the search area that the police had established). He had apparently died of exposure.

The police conclusion was that he had simply wandered off and later died due to the cold.

However, some doubts remain as to whether he could have travelled all that distance on his own.

The farmer, on whose land his body was found, said "I was very surprised that he got half that distance in the countryside. The hills, the woods, marshland, fences, drops into gullies and what have you.. I don't know how he did it."

Stephen's father pointed out that his son's socks were found in his pockets but with his shoes on his feet; and Stephen was to young to have learned how to tie his laces. Also, a barmaid at the camp said she saw Stephen fighting to escape a "scruffy looking man" who carried him out of one of the buildings of the camp. Another witness, a motorist, claimed to have seen a man wearing a waxed jacket leading a boy by the hand into the Garrick Hills, where Stephen's body was later found.

Hamilton Historian page about the tragedy

A blog post about the case
Embedded link is invalid.

Edited to insert link correctly (or insert correct link :(). Sorry all. :horr:

Edited again having read EnolaGaia's post below. When I access the link I can see the article okay - without logging in. But best not include it at all. Apologies.

Last edited:
I am reminded of the very, very early days of FT (The News actually) when there was a lot of focus on mysterious disappearances. In very first issue of The News there is a report of the mysterious disappearance of Lucy Partington, last seen at a bus stop in Gloucester and seemingly vanished into thin air. Many years later we now know she was one of the victims of Fred and Rose West.
10 years after Partington's disappearance there was a half-hour documentary about her. (In a TV series, either Man Alive or World in Action.)

The photos of her face looked strikingly like my own features at the time, with my large specs and 'shaggy perm'. I was then hour years older than she'd been when last seen.Gave me a start.

Eleven years later the same face was seen when her remains were recovered.

That reminded me somewhat of a case in Scotland from 1988. I first read about it in the excellent book "Scotland's Unsolved Mysteries of the Twentieth Century"

Five year old Stephen McKerron disappeared from a holiday park in Ayr; launching Scotland's biggest ever hunt for a missing child. He was later found in the hills six miles from the holiday camp (and just outside the search area that the police had established). He had apparently died of exposure.

The police conclusion was that he had simply wandered off and later died due to the cold.

However, some doubts remain as to whether he could have travelled all that distance on his own.

The farmer, on whose land his body was found, said "I was very surprised that he got half that distance in the countryside. The hills, the woods, marshland, fences, drops into gullies and what have you.. I don't know how he did it."

Stephen's father pointed out that his son's socks were found in his pockets but with his shoes on his feet; and Stephen was to young to have learned how to tie his laces. Also, a barmaid at the camp said she saw Stephen fighting to escape a "scruffy looking man" who carried him out of one of the buildings of the camp. Another witness, a motorist, claimed to have seen a man wearing a waxed jacket leading a boy by the hand into the Garrick Hills, where Stephen's body was later found.

I remember that.

10 years after Partington's disappearance there was a half-hour documentary about her. (In a TV series, either Man Alive or World in Action.)

The photos of her face looked strikingly like my own features at the time, with my large specs and 'shaggy perm'. I was then hour years older than she'd been when last seen.Gave me a start.

Eleven years later the same face was seen when her remains were recovered.

Wasn’t Lucy Partington the first cousin of the author Martin Amis, or am I thinking of another poor soul who fell victim to the Wests…?

Does the book cover the 1976 disappearance of Renee and little Andrew MacRae?

That one still pops up. Someone knows something!

The Blog link is broken.

Not broken - completely invalid. No blog could be identified from the pseudo-link, and the most likely site based on what was posted requires a subscriber login. Link disabled.

Does the book cover the 1976 disappearance of Renee and little Andrew MacRae?

That one still pops up. Someone knows something!

Yes, it covers that in one chapter "Where are They Now, 1976". Since there are fifteen chapters in the book it probably doesn't give it as much space as you might be able to find elsewhere though.

Also covers the Flannan Isles lighthouse, Bible John, the Mull aircrash mystery, the William McRae suicide/shooting, etc. It's quite a decent read - I'd recommend.

ETA: it's obviously not bang up to date with some of the information that has come to light about some of the cases since it was published.

Last edited:

I get the impression that it was a halfhearted search. Didn't the foresnsic's find anything? And why were the sightings not followed up?

People underestimate the walking power of children. Even small children can cover quite a distance.

In these modern times we tend to have our opinion coloured by the fact that a lot of children don't walk very far and are usually carted around in cars or buggies and will, in fact, complain, moan, whine, whinge and tantrum about being asked to walk 300 yards down the road to the nearest park.

But they can, physically, go a really long way. Ask any mother trying to manage a toddler in a busy shopping centre (lockdown permitting, obviously).

Back