• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Who Just Disappear (Go Missing)

From The York Press. Claudia Lawrence's mum has let cameras inside Claudia's house. We drive past this a few times a week and never don't wonder what happened there - or more likely, somewhere along her route to work, outside. Mawkish but fascinating.

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/23...lawrence-opens-daughters-york-home/?ref=ebmpn
I'm torn on this. I can understand Joan wanting to feel close to her daughter, but keeping all her things in the house - just in case the police decide there may be evidence there? Not sure that's entirely healthy.

I always find

Unidentified Wiki

Quite interesting (annoying ads slow it down though) although it seems as time goes by less and less people are unidentified it seems the modern world tracks us all

I'm torn on this. I can understand Joan wanting to feel close to her daughter, but keeping all her things in the house - just in case the police decide there may be evidence there? Not sure that's entirely healthy.
A lot has gone on and been said about this case that we ordinary people who are out of the loop haven't heard. :nods:

Jut my speculation:
Claudia's family may feel they have an idea of what's gone on.
Say, that she may have been abducted by someone who was not a stranger and, say, whose DNA may have become attached to property of hers.
But her family don't know if this is actually the case or if it is, which property is important. So they keep it all.

A lot has gone on and been said about this case that we ordinary people who are out of the loop haven't heard. :nods:

Jut my speculation:
Claudia's family may feel they have an idea of what's gone on.
Say, that she may have been abducted by someone who was not a stranger and, say, whose DNA may have become attached to property of hers.
But her family don't know if this is actually the case or if it is, which property is important. So they keep it all.
I am sure there are different theories/possibilities/suspects which haven't been proven or ruled out. Some may have been speculated about publicly but there may be others the public haven't heard about, which family are aware of. I can understand the family wanting to keep all possible evidence as safe as possible in case it is useful at some future point.

Poor Claudia/her family.

Jut my speculation:

If this is the case, it might not be of much use: lf the possible suspect was a friend/lover/colleague/acquaintance of the missing woman, then his DNA on items of her property has a legitimate explanation.

maximus otter

Gross negligence at play here, seems like there was a lack of inspections. I hope the HSE end up doing more than just issuing an Improvement Notice.

A hole was discovered in the deck of a North Sea rig on the day a worker went missing, an investigation has found.

Jason Thomas, 50, from Wales, was reported missing from the Valaris 121, about 100 miles south east of Aberdeen, on Sunday 22 January.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said a grating was dislodged, putting workers at risk of falling through. The HSE, which is continuing to investigate the incident, issued an improvement notice on the rig operator.

The notice states: "A section of polymer grating, under your control on the Valaris 121, dislodged, thereby exposing employees and those who may otherwise be affected to a risk to their safety by tripping on the displaced grating and/or falling through the subsequent hole in the decking area."

On the day Mr Thomas was reported missing, the jackup rig had been under tow from its last operating location in the North Sea to Dundee.

A major search was launched involving two oil supply vessels, a Coastguard helicopter and Coastguard aeroplane. ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-65040541

Gross negligence at play here, seems like there was a lack of inspections. I hope the HSE end up doing more than just issuing an Improvement Notice.

A hole was discovered in the deck of a North Sea rig on the day a worker went missing, an investigation has found.
I must admit when I first heard about the missing man in January I assumed his disappearance was a deliberate act (the reporting then was very low-key and gave almost nothing away, which is a hallmark of reporting of suicides in the British media) so my eyebrows were raised whn I saw this story today. What a horrid way to go!

Or, if you're on a motorbike, they are cheap but effective protection. Many a time I've seen lads showing how the jeans took the damage that several layers of skin and muscle might've experienced.

Linked to this is a phrase from Jon Snow I heard this morning that hit a nerve: "Governments all talk about relieving or helping those in poverty - but it's harder when you talk of stopping poverty!"
The phrase you cited reminds me of a quote I read a long time ago, such that I no longer remember the name of the Latin American bishop who said it, but he said something to the effect "When I fed the poor they called me a saint. When I asked why they were poor they called me a communist."

The phrase you cited reminds me of a quote I read a long time ago, such that I no longer remember the name of the Latin American bishop who said it, but he said something to the effect "When I fed the poor they called me a saint. When I asked why they were poor they called me a communist."
Helder Camara, Brazilian archbishop.

Missing Woman Found Alive Inside vehicle Submerged in Lake

https://www.newsweek.com/missing-woman-rescued-submerged-car-texas-1793664

"The vehicle's roof was spotted poking above the waterline by a fisherman working on the south side of Lake o' the Pines in Marion County, Texas, on Friday morning. But when deputies and a local wrecker service arrived to tow the black Jeep back to shore, they discovered that someone was still moving inside the car."

"During the incident, it was determined the woman was listed as a missing person from the Longview Texas Police Department."

I came across this in connection with the Nicola Bulley case.

Nicola Bulley search brings back painful memories for mum whose husband disappeared

Finn Creaney went missing on Friday, March 25 last year after he started a lone hike in Loch Naver, Sutherland, but he never came home. The father-of-one has not been seen since

View attachment 63222
There's still no news.
Creaney's disappearance has featured in two recent TV programmes.

The BBC's Highland Cops -
Highland Cops

Delving inside the UK’s biggest police beat, insightful documentary series, Highland Cops, follows the work of Police Scotland’s Highlands and Islands Division. The five-part documentary series is a co-commission between BBC Scotland and BBC Two and produced by Firecrest Films, the award-winning team behind the acclaimed Murder Case series.

Covering 12,000 square miles of lochs, glens, islands and mountains, Police Scotland’s Highlands and Islands division is like no other in the UK. Across the series Highland Cops discovers what it takes to patrol the beat and keep the peace in the most beautiful – and challenging places – in Britain and highlights how cutting-edge crime fighting works alongside old-school rural policing, tackling 21st century problems that threaten traditional ways of life.

Channel 5's Vanished: The Hunt for Britain's Missing People.
Vanished

Dan Walker investigates people who've gone missing and seeks answers to the mysteries.

I happened to watch both relevant episodes, one after the other. Slightly disconcerting.

There's still no news.
Creaney's disappearance has featured in two recent TV programmes.

The BBC's Highland Cops -
Highland Cops

Channel 5's Vanished: The Hunt for Britain's Missing People.
Vanished

I happened to watch both relevant episodes, one after the other. Slightly disconcerting.
When I think of this one I think of the Tony Parsons case, I don't know why. Scotland, probably. And while we now know that Tony's remains had been concealed on purpose, there still remains the fact that people can be invisible if they crawl into cover, and if anything happens whilst they are under that cover, they may not be found for some considerable while.

When I think of this one I think of the Tony Parsons case, I don't know why. Scotland, probably. And while we now know that Tony's remains had been concealed on purpose, there still remains the fact that people can be invisible if they crawl into cover, and if anything happens whilst they are under that cover, they may not be found for some considerable while.
A couple of posters on'ere called what happened to Parsons long before his body was found; namely, it's now alleged, a hit-and-run followed by hasty concealment of the remains. Poor bloke.

Creaney's family and friends are still looking for him, or for his remains. There's feeling that he may have set off in a different direction from where he'd planned so he might have ended up miles away.

On a Scotland subReddit it's stated that his intended walk could not have started from the spot where he was dropped off. If so, that's mystery in itself.

A couple of posters on'ere called what happened to Parsons long before his body was found; namely, it's now alleged, a hit-and-run followed by hasty concealment of the remains. Poor bloke.

Creaney's family and friends are still looking for him, or for his remains. There's feeling that he may have set off in a different direction from where he'd planned so he might have ended up miles away.

On a Scotland subReddit it's stated that his intended walk could not have started from the spot where he was dropped off. If so, that's mystery in itself.
This sometimes concerns me when I head off out for a long walk with the dog. I start off thinking 'I know, I'lll go to xxx', but when I arrive there it's busy, so I just head off in another direction. If anything happened to me, nobody would have the faintest idea of where to even start looking. They wouldn't even know I'd gone for a walk with the dog (other than that both the dog and I would be missing).

...On a Scotland subReddit it's stated that his intended walk could not have started from the spot where he was dropped off. If so, that's mystery in itself.

I'd be interested to know the details. My understanding is that he was dropped off on the road that skirts the north side of the loch which he intended to walk around (Loch Naver) on his way over the hills to Golspie. It's not an area of Scotland I'm at all familiar with - but, looking at the maps, I can't see why the drop off point and intended route would be particularly out of sync.

This was discussed a little a few pages ago and I just wanted to remention (is that a word?) the voicemail he left as it might suggest that he didn't go on the walk he was speaking of.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...sappear-go-missing.68706/page-16#post-2239212

Post 458:-
The last time his wife heard from him was in a voicemail he left at 12.52pm, where he told her “I love you lots and I’m really proud of you”.
This seems rather telling to me, unless he frequently left such voicemails. Really sad.

This was discussed a little a few pages ago and I just wanted to remention (is that a word?) the voicemail he left as it might suggest that he didn't go on the walk he was speaking of.

https://forums.forteana.org/index.p...sappear-go-missing.68706/page-16#post-2239212

Post 458...

The report, although detailing the correct times, reverses the chronology of events - which seems somewhat clunky to me:

...A family member had dropped him off at a caravan park on the B873 road at 2.15pm, and he had planned to walk around the loch before heading south to Golspie.

This was his final confirmed sighting, with his phone cutting off at 1.47pm in the village of Lairg.

The last time his wife heard from him was in a voicemail he left at 12.52pm, where he told her “I love you lots and I’m really proud of you”

It really makes more sense when you itemise it as:

Last phone message at 12.52

Phone loses signal or battery at Lairg at 13.47

Last physical sighting at 14.15.

He was being given a lift from Tain to the north side of Loch Naver - the village of Lairg is on the two shortest and most most obvious road routes. The presence of his phone at that point is logical in the sense of actual timing - but looks out of place in the reversal of events. Also the message to his wife - being placed last in the written sequence of events, gives it maybe a more ominous air than it deserves. Although, even in real time, I'd agree that it might be significant.

(All that said, I have a terrible headache this morning and may have got totally the wrong end of the stick.)

Last edited:
The report, although detailing the correct times, reverses the chronology of events - which seems somewhat clunky to me:

It really makes more sense when you itemise it as:

Last phone message at 12.52

Phone loses signal or battery at Lairg at 13.47

Last physical sighting at 14.15.

He was being given a lift from Tain to the north side of Loch Naver - the village of Lairg is on the two shortest and most most obvious road routes. The presence of his phone at that point is logical in the sense of actual timing - but looks out of place in the reversal of events. Also the message to his wife - being placed last in the written sequence of events, gives it maybe a more ominous air than it deserves. Although, even in real time, I'd agree that it might be significant.

(All that said, I have a terrible headache this morning and may have got totally the wrong end of the stick.)
Yes, it is odd how they reversed the timings in the article and of course we don't know if it is significant or not. And it doesn't actually help his family to find him which is the most important bit. I just wanted to mention it before people go wild on wondering how he could have got where, when. If he intended to not be found, he may well be somewhere else from where he said he was going.

The details are sketchy in my mind (I think the Buzzfeed Unsolved lads did an episode on it) but wasn't there a young woman who disappeared walking home late one night on Iceland? The police never did get to the truth - and discover remains - because they obsessed over forcing a confession by intimidation and extreme use of solitary confinement, from several people who may/may not have been involved.

Back