People Who Just Disappear

Oh dear this one seems to have ended in tragedy for all concerned

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ody-river-elbe-latest-inverness-a8317706.html

The body of an Inverness postman who went missing while on his brother’s stag weekend in Hamburg has been found in the city’s River Elbe.

Liam Colgan, 29, disappeared in the early hours of February 10 while on a night out in the German city.

The Lucie Blackman Trust, a charity which supports families of people missing abroad, said the body was discovered at 6.30am on Monday morning.

A statement said: “Whilst formal identification is yet to be carried out, Mr Colgan's driving licence was in the pocket of the jacket and the clothes were those he was wearing the night he disappeared.

"The Trust asks that Mr Colgan's family be given space and privacy to grieve at this difficult time."

Brother begs Liam Colgan to get in touch after stag do disappearance
His brother Eamonn, a police officer based in Dundee, had previously told BBC Radio Scotland: “Liam is very laid back, very positive, a very proud and doting uncle to my two children.”

He added: “We miss him greatly, all his family and friends do… we come across constant reminders like toys he's given to our children and his car is still here from when we went off on the stag do."

The disappearance occurred after Mr Colgan, keen musician, left the Veermaster pub in the city’s famous Beatles Platz. It sparked a major search effort.

Volunteers based in Hamburg organised for 300,000 leaflets to be posted to residents while an online crowd-funding page, set up to help cover the cost of the family flying to and from Hamburg, raised more than £15,000.

Eamonn and his fiancee Susan Dolan, both 33, have postponed their wedding.

UK news in pictures

Matthew Searle, chief executive with the Lucie Blackman Trust, said: “An astonishing amount of support has been apparent in this case – the search for Liam has been joined by thousands of people, both German and British, and we would like to thank all of them for their support.

“Our thoughts are of course with Liam’s family and friends today.”

A statement from police in Hamburg said: “After a witness had informed the police this morning, several radio patrol cars went to a harbour in the HafenCity [district]. The fire brigade eventually salvaged a body floating in the water.”
Sad news.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Cunningham is no longer missing, but there's still a mystery ...
News Update on the Cunningham (CDC epidemiologist) case ...

Medical examiner releases CDC doctor Timothy Cunningham's official cause of death

The death of a CDC employee whose body was found in an Atlanta river last month has been ruled a suicide by drowning, the Fulton County Medical Examiner announced on Tuesday.

The body of 35-year-old Timothy Cunningham was found by fishermen in the Chattahoochee River on April 3, bringing the long and confounding search for the missing CDC worker to a tragic end. His body was discovered over seven weeks after he disappeared on Feb. 12.

An autopsy at the time confirmed that the body belonged to the missing doctor, though his official cause of death was not released until today.

Cunningham, a highly regarded epidemiologist at the CDC, disappeared without a trace after he left work mid-day in February, complaining of feeling ill.
SOURCE: https://www.yahoo.com/news/medical-examiner-releases-cdc-doctor-194543160.html

Not looking good for this guy, jaguars, ocelots and cougars are native to the national park, be lucky if they find his gnawed bones.

An indigenous group has joined the search for a 62-year-old Austrian man who went missing in a national park in Paraguay three weeks ago.

Wilhelm Wabnegg was last heard from on 2 May when he was setting off for the Cerro León hills in the Defensores del Chaco national park.

His motorhome was found on 10 May but there was no trace of Mr Wabnegg.

Fifteen members of the Ayoreo tribe are now searching their ancestral land for Mr Wabnegg.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-44224674

Carse

Devoted Cultist
That’s that then, nothing to see here..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-45015080

Corrie Mckeague: Airman 'somewhere in Suffolk waste disposal system'

Police believe he climbed into a waste bin and was taken away by a refuse lorry.

Writing on Facebook, Martin Mckeague said: "Corrie is no longer missing... after looking at all of the facts and evidence we now know what happened."

He added: "We are certain he is somewhere in the Suffolk waste disposal system, but his remains are essentially irretrievable."

SkepticalX

Devoted Cultist
Apparently there are over a thousand people who have disappeared without a trace into America's national parks. Very interesting (and disconcerting) article found here:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2164446/leave-no-trace

My daughter hikes a lot of mountains out in Colorado so reading this article is not the stuff of which a good night's sleep is made. :(

Apparently there are over a thousand people who have disappeared without a trace into America's national parks. Very interesting (and disconcerting) article found here:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2164446/leave-no-trace

My daughter hikes a lot of mountains out in Colorado so reading this article is not the stuff of which a good night's sleep is made. :(
But don't worry too much:

WASHINGTON – The National Park Service (NPS) today announced 330,882,751 recreation visits in 2017 – almost identical to the record-setting 330,971,689 recreation visits in 2016. While numbers were steady, visitors actually spent more time in parks during their 2017 visits compared to 2016.
https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/02-28-2018-visitation-certified.htm

The odds of disappearing are low, the outsideonline report doesn't say over how many years these disappearances occurred.

More than 7.5 million visitors to Colorado’s 12 National Park Service units spent $485 million in 2016, according to a new report from the agency. Spending was up by about 8 percent and visits rose by 5.5 percent over 2015, said Patrick O'Driscoll, spokesman for the NPS Intermountain Regional Office in Denver.

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/visitors-to-colorados-national-parks-spent-485m-in-2016

SkepticalX

Devoted Cultist
I think, if you take reasonable precautions, the risk is manageable. However, not everyone goes prepared or exercises the proper amount of caution. Last year, my daughter and her cohorts were descending from a 14,000 ft peak when they encountered another group on its way up. They talked with them briefly, warning of some treacherous conditions ahead. She heard the next day that a member of that other party fell to their death not long after they had met.

I think, if you take reasonable precautions, the risk is manageable. However, not everyone goes prepared or exercises the proper amount of caution. Last year, my daughter and her cohorts were descending from a 14,000 ft peak when they encountered another group on its way up. They talked with them briefly, warning of some treacherous conditions ahead. She heard the next day that a member of that other party fell to their death not long after they had met.
That's bad news. Many unprepared people put mountain rescue teams at risk.

henry

still speeding
sad and stupid death for that airman ... i slept in some crazy places in my wild years, into a waste bin i would certainly never voluntarily go ... bus and train stations are never far away ...

This doesn't look good.

A scream was heard near the home of a midwife who has been missing for nearly a week, police have said.

Samantha Eastwood, 28, was last seen leaving Royal Stoke University Hospital at 07:45 BST on Friday and did not return later for her night shift.

She has not used her bank cards or car since going missing, police believe.

Det Supt Simon Duffy said the report by neighbours of hearing a scream "forms part of one of a number of theories" regarding Ms Eastwood's disappearance.

The noise was heard in the vicinity of Ms Eastwood's address in Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent, at about 14:00 on Friday.

Det Supt Duffy said he was unable to comment further on this element of the investigation.

The force is treating her case as a "high-risk missing person" inquiry.

A 32-year-old man from Stoke-on-Trent, who was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of kidnap following her disappearance, has been released under investigation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-45043885

SkepticalX

Devoted Cultist
We've had a couple of highly publicized incidents here in the States lately in which young women just drop from sight. Typically these do not end well. I don't think there is anything particularly Fortean about these tragedies unless you think there is something fundamentally different about life in the 21st Century that is driving people crazy.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
This doesn't look good.

A scream was heard near the home of a midwife who has been missing for nearly a week, police have said.

Samantha Eastwood, 28, was last seen leaving Royal Stoke University Hospital at 07:45 BST on Friday and did not return later for her night shift.

She has not used her bank cards or car since going missing, police believe.

Det Supt Simon Duffy said the report by neighbours of hearing a scream "forms part of one of a number of theories" regarding Ms Eastwood's disappearance.

The noise was heard in the vicinity of Ms Eastwood's address in Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent, at about 14:00 on Friday.

Det Supt Duffy said he was unable to comment further on this element of the investigation.

The force is treating her case as a "high-risk missing person" inquiry.

A 32-year-old man from Stoke-on-Trent, who was arrested earlier this week on suspicion of kidnap following her disappearance, has been released under investigation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-45043885
This young lady has been found dead and there have been three arrests in connection. One feels that the police had an idea all along about what's gone on.

I've worked at that hospital and I know people who knew her. It's all very sad.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
This happened, I'm told, to someone in my street, in the late 60s. She was a young mother of two little children and one morning her elder child, who was 3, was run over in the street, having wandered out through an open front door. Neighbours went to find little Kay's Ma but only the baby was there. Breakfast dishes were in the sink and the woman's coat and handbag were there, washing machine was on, but no Ma. She was never seen or heard of again. Her husband eventually remarried so she must have been declared dead at some point.

Both husband and second wife are now dead but I sometimes work with the second wife's daughter and will ask her some details when I think the time is right.

I did ask the second wife's daughter and heard the rest of the story. The woman who 'disappeared' had run off with a soldier! She had been seeing him and he must have turned up one day and asked her to go, and off she went.

However... this is what the second wife's daughter was told. I'm still not sure what really went on. Nobody else has ever corroborated it.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
A Guy Walks Into a Bar — and Is Never Seen Again

On April Fools’ Day, a med student went for a drink. A security camera recorded him. Then, he vanished.

From Columbus Ohio 2006. He's filmed going into a bar with 2 friends on cctv but doesn't leave with them. It's the last ever seen of him.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
Man's body found 40 years after disappearing in Cyprus conflict due to 'unusual' tree

A missing man who was murdered more than 40 years ago has been found - after a seed from a fig in his stomach grew into a tree.
the dead man had been taken into a cave with two others and were killed by dynamite that was then thrown in after them.

the dynamite also blew a hole in the side of the cave, allowing light to flood into the darkened interior which in turn allowed the fig tree to grow from the man's body.

His sister, 87 year-old Munur Herguner, said: "We used to live in a village with a population of 4,000, half Greek, half Turkish. In 1974, the disturbances began. My brother Ahmet joined the Turkish Resistance Organization (TMT). On 10th June, the Greeks took him away."

She added: "For years we searched for my brother in vain."

But she said that unknown to her, the grave had ended up being marked by the fig tree that grew from the seed in his stomach.

The tree was spotted in 2011 by a researcher who was curious as to how the tree had ended up in the cave and especially in a mountainous area where it was not usually found.

While carrying out his research and digging around the tree, he was then horrified to find a human body underneath and raised the alarm. On digging further, police recovered a total of three bodies.

Munur Herguner added that her brother was believed to have been the one that had eaten the fig, and blood samples from her family matched DNA fragments which confirmed it was her brother's final resting place.

As detectives investigated the killing, they discovered that the brother Ahmet and the other two had been killed by dynamite in the cave, and the blast had made a hole in the cave that let in light. He had apparently eaten the fig shortly before he died.

His sister said: "The fig remnants in my brother's stomach grew into a tree as the sun crept into the cave through the hole made by the explosion. They found my brother thanks to that fig tree."

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Anyone know where Fan Bingbing is? Looks like she may have been "disappeared", either that or made herself disappear. Unusual to have someone that famous vanish.

henry

still speeding
yes i was thinking, the day it rained forever, scene with the flowers growing out of a cadavers open mouth ... i used to be in a band that had a song referencing ...

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
It's been a year now and still no trace of the missing cyclist.

'It's so sad about Tony' - the cyclist who disappeared
  • 9 hours ago

Media captionSighting of missing cyclist Tony Parsons on CCTV
A cyclist who vanished in the Highlands a year ago was a "good, decent man", according to a former naval colleague.

Tony Parsons, 64, from Tillicoultry, was last seen at about 23:30 on 29 September at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel.

He then headed south on the A82 towards Tyndrum on his charity ride from Fort William to his Clackmannanshire home - when he disappeared without trace.

John Pritchard paid tribute to his friend as police issued a fresh appeal for information to solve the mystery.

etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-45663082

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
A Guy Walks Into a Bar — and Is Never Seen Again

On April Fools’ Day, a med student went for a drink. A security camera recorded him. Then, he vanished.

From Columbus Ohio 2006. He's filmed going into a bar with 2 friends on cctv but doesn't leave with them. It's the last ever seen of him.
How very strange. From the article it says that everyone else at the bar that night was accounted for, via the CCTV cameras, all except this one person. It does mention some construction going on, but you would have thought that area would have been searched, so... odd.

It's been a year now and still no trace of the missing cyclist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-45663082
Has it really been a year since he went missing? Jeez the time just flies. Sadly it seems like this case has been all-but-forgotten, (aside from this new appeal that is).

Yes I know there isn't manpower to search for all missing people all of the time, but it does seem (and others may disagree on this) that missing women get more media (and police) attention than men, but at the end of the day they're all missing people and deserve equal attention.

It actually surprised me reading that article where it said he was married, because (and correct me if I'm wrong) but I don't recall seeing his wife making any appeal on the news, or even reading a quote from her (e.g. in this article they have quotes from a friend of Tony's). In my eyes that's odd (I'm not suggesting anything sinister on her part). It just seems like his family are very quiet on this? Or am I mistaken?

I know the road reasonably well having travelled it with Mr Zebra on many occasions, and last time we were driving along it (not that long ago, actually) we thought of Tony Parsons and wondered what on earth happened to him. It's not a road I'd want to be cycling along at night. Or even in the daytime, come to that.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I know the road reasonably well having travelled it with Mr Zebra on many occasions, and last time we were driving along it (not that long ago, actually) we thought of Tony Parsons and wondered what on earth happened to him. It's not a road I'd want to be cycling along at night. Or even in the daytime, come to that.
Is it a spooky road, or one frequented by criminal types?

Schrodinger's Zebra

Increasingly unlikely
Is it a spooky road, or one frequented by criminal types?
No, just winding and very busy with tourist traffic and big lorries, you know the sort of thing. Single carriageway, can be frustrating if stuck in a queue behind a caravan or what-have-you, so you get overtakers at not-very-safe parts of the road, and it's just not comfortably wide enough to be cycling along with lorries thundering past etc. :)

In the dark obviously less of the traffic issues, but still a not-very-wide road with lorries on, so bikes would be vulnerable, I think.

EDIT:

Random streetview image of the area between Bridge of Orchy and Tyndrum. Beautiful scenery, but hopefully gives you an idea of the narrowness of the road and how much room a bicycle would have.

upload_2018-9-29_14-13-59.png

Last edited: