People Who Just Disappear

catseye

For the greater good
Yup.

If I recall correctly the same area was also a focus, at least in the early days, in the search for Suzanne Pilley's body (still undiscovered - although a conviction for murder was secured). Although I suspect that in that case the peelers would have been looking much further away from the road than they are with Tony Parsons.

On an aside:

I'm sure I've said this before - but I think it's worth repeating.

Human beings constantly overestimate the space they take and the traces they leave behind. Most of us would barely fill a wheelie bin to the half way mark - and once the gases have gone and we've stopped leaking and dried out a bit, that volume can shrink pretty quickly over time.

I've done a lot of solo trekking and wild camping in the past, but I'm very hazard aware - partly because of the type of work I've done. As part of that process I regularly step back a bit from what I'm doing and just reboot my thinking, or try and view things from a slightly different perspective.

I remember some years ago sitting and checking out a route on Rannoch Moor in bad weather and thinking, 'how much of me is there?' I worked it out as something like a couple of bags of plaster and a bundle of sticks - to be reduced to one bag of plaster and a bundle of twigs in a few weeks time. It's amazing how much more aware of your surroundings you become when you figure out how little of it you take up.

Some people are surprised when a body is not recovered, seeing that undiscovered status as an indication of some other underlying mystery. But, certainly when it comes to wide open spaces, I'm never really surprised.
I think it's because people tend to think of 'dead bodies' like they see in the films or Silent Witness, all spread out. They forget that people often die all scrunched up in the shelter of tree roots or something, trying to keep out of the weather.

Rosebud

Ephemeral Spectre
The trial of Eddie Cairney and Avril Jones, charged with the disappearance of Margaret Fleming, has been halted in its third week .
Margaret, who was reported missing in 2016, had not been seen for 18 years before that.

The couple, who were Ms Fleming's carers at the house they shared at Inverkip, Inverclyde, had both pleaded not guilty to murdering her by means unknown and fraudulently claiming £182,000 in benefits by pretending she was alive.

Judge Lord Matthews said: "I will desert the trial pro loco et tempore. As a result of circumstances we can't proceed. It is highly unfortunate all this has arisen." The jury were told the trial would have to be deserted now because a number of matters had arisen but it would probably proceed in the future.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-45904936

CALGACUS03

Junior Acolyte
Way back in 2013 smokehead mentioned an unidentified child's body after a circus fire in the USA. I think that this is the case he/she was referring to:

The Hartford Circus Fire.

A similar situation pertained here in Britain following the Charfield railway disaster.

"The charred remains of two children, one aged about five and the other between twelve and seventeen, were found. In spite of nationwide publicity, no one ever claimed the remains, and they were buried in a common grave at Charfield."

Some accounts (including that on Wikipedia) report that the source of the story in the latter case was the use of two small boxes at the mass funeral to hold bones that could not be associated with any particular body. But the accounts of the ages of the supposed children, descriptions of the clothes they were wearing, eye witness accounts of other passengers, train, and station saff of the children being seen before the crash (and some witnesses reported being concerned at two such young children seemingly travelling alone on such a late night service) rather seems to belie this contention.

CALGACUS03

Junior Acolyte
I'm amazed that I've not been aware of the Tony Parsons case until reading this thread - he lives/lived in the next village over from me.

I know that the reports indicate that he was wearing wlking boots, but looking at the photographs of him in the article linked to below it seems to me that he was wearing training shoes or maybe low "baseball style" boots of some sort. They seem to be blue or black with white soles - which wouldn't seem to be typical of walking boots:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-45663082

I agree with other posters regarding the A82/A84/A85 - they have some wonderful scenery, but I wouldn't want to cycle on them at any time of day!

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Suzy Lamplugh: Police search Sutton Coldfield house

A garage linked to the murder of Suzy Lamplugh, who was last seen alive more than 30 years ago, is set to be dug up.

Estate agent Suzy, 25, from London, disappeared in July 1986 and was declared dead, presumed murdered, in 1994. A body has never been found.

Police are searching at a house in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, once owned by the mother of John Cannan - the prime suspect in Suzy's killing.
The house and patio have been searched more than once before with no results. This time a concrete floor is being removed.

Ms Lamplugh's mother sadly died a while ago without ever knowing what became of her. If a body is found, the rest of the family might have some peace.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
That's only a couple of miles from here. Very sad, but I do hope they do find her remains, just to put an end to this uncertainty.
Yup, a senior police officer who came to know the Lamplughs well (I'd forgotten that both her parents had died) was interviewed on t'BBC TV news this morning and seemed hopeful of closure. Fingers crossed, eh.

Not much needs to be found to solve the case. Anything Ms Lamplugh was wearing or carrying with her that turned up might clinch it.
A toy belonging to little Ben Needham was found buried where his body was said to have been hidden and that was enough to close the case.

As you say, the uncertainty must be terrible. Added to that is the yearning to put the person to rest in a dignified way. It's the last thing you can do for someone and to be denied it is heartbreaking.

Even if he wasn't murdered someone concealed his death. The likely suspects are deceased.

The end of one mystery has opened the door to another for a New York family that found human skeletal remains in a home once belonging to a loved one who vanished nearly 60 years ago.

The remains are believed to belong to George Carroll, a Korean War veteran who was in his mid-20s when he went missing from his Lake Grove home in 1961. At the time, there were no clues as to his sudden disappearance. His family didn’t find a note and he didn’t take any personal belongings.

For reasons that are unclear, police were never notified. “We have confirmed that a missing person’s report was never filed on him,” a Suffolk County Police Department spokeswoman said. As the police described it, the circumstances surrounding the case are so bizarre that it could easily be mistaken for hackneyed fiction. “Oh, my God, I can’t even imagine,” the police spokeswoman told HuffPost on Monday when recounting the discovery. “It was [reported] on Halloween and we were like, ‘This is going to be a Lifetime movie.’”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...cid=newsltushpmgnews__TheMorningEmail__271118

Yup, a senior police officer who came to know the Lamplughs well (I'd forgotten that both her parents had died) was interviewed on t'BBC TV news this morning and seemed hopeful of closure. Fingers crossed, eh.

Not much needs to be found to solve the case. Anything Ms Lamplugh was wearing or carrying with her that turned up might clinch it.
A toy belonging to little Ben Needham was found buried where his body was said to have been hidden and that was enough to close the case.

As you say, the uncertainty must be terrible. Added to that is the yearning to put the person to rest in a dignified way. It's the last thing you can do for someone and to be denied it is heartbreaking.
The blood on the toy wasn't Ben Needham's.

Traces of blood on a toy car found amid the search for Ben Needham did not match his DNA, police said.

The missing toddler was 21 months old when he disappeared on the Greek island of Kos in July 1991. South Yorkshire Police said forensic examinations of the toy, which was recovered from the island, showed no match to Ben or members of his family.

Det Insp Jon Cousins said it was still his "professional belief" Ben died in an accident at a farmhouse.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-46400497