• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People Willingly Entering The Water And Drowning

That's quite terrifying. I wonder if he'd really have jumped in?

No idea, the incident and that outcome is something I occasionally think about, usually when reading about Forteana or maybe water related horror fiction. Thinking about it now it almost seems a bit surreal or even unreal, it felt intensely odd at the time, I think I was too shocked to be scared in the moment or for the fear to really register. It was over very quickly.

No idea, the incident and that outcome is something I occasionally think about, usually when reading about Forteana or maybe water related horror fiction. Thinking about it now it almost seems a bit surreal or even unreal, it felt intensely odd at the time, I think I was too shocked to be scared in the moment or for the fear to really register. It was over very quickly.

Sounds like a true case of l'appel du vide.
You did well to save him. Great work there.

I got a bit of a pounding in the surf at Cable Beach in Broome, WA, the breakers were a lot stronger than I expected and had quite an undertow.

The first time I got "dumped" by a wave while bodyboarding was terrifying*. A kiwi friend (person, not the bird) who was an experienced surfer, had explained really well what to do when held under by a wave; relax, don't fight it as that uses up oxygen, do this and you'll pop up no problem.

As I realise I'm being "dumped" my thoughts go through all that I'd been told to do... BUT... my natural reaction was to panic and desperately try and swim to the surface, which used up my oxygen, my chest began to hurt, oh fuuuuck!... then up I popped.
After pulling myself together I carried on boarding and got "dumped" a couple more times that day but, after learning how panicking nearly killed me, was able to do the right thing and almost enjoy the experience of cheating death.

*Not huge waves, but big enough.

Reminds me of the ending of that film Roma, LordR. The sea, she be a harsh mistress.
She certainly gave me a good spanking, that's for sure.

Can only say 'You daft bastard'.
Absolutely. And stone-cold sober too. I wasn't scared, almost just resigned to my fate, and I think the worst thing was definitely that the world would see just how daft I'd been.

Here's a definition of drowning from Wikipedia, which sounds terrifying to me - being unable to call for help (assuming that I'd got in the water with other people nearby!). There are videos out there if you look in the right (or wrong) places, showing people actually drowning, and there's no hint that any of them are literally about to die before your eyes/lens :

Drowning is most often quick and unspectacular. Its media depictions as a loud, violent struggle have much more in common with distressed non-swimmers, who may well drown but have not yet begun to do so. In particular, an asphyxiating person is seldom able to call for help. The instinctive drowning response covers many signs or behaviors associated with drowning or near-drowning:

• Head low in the water, mouth at water level
  • Head tilted back with mouth open
  • Eyes glassy and empty, unable to focus
  • Eyes open, with fear evident on the face
  • Hyperventilating or gasping
  • Trying to swim in a particular direction but not making headway
  • Trying to roll over on the back to float
  • Uncontrollable movement of arms and legs, rarely out of the water.

Drowning begins at the point a person is unable to keep their mouth above water; inhalation of water takes place at a later stage. Most people demonstrating the instinctive drowning response do not show obvious prior evidence of distress.
A person drowning is generally unable to call for help, or seek attention, as they cannot obtain enough air. The instinctive drowning response is the final set of autonomic reactions in the 20–60 seconds before sinking underwater, and to the untrained eye can look similar to calm safe behavior. Lifeguards and other persons trained in rescue learn to recognize drowning people by watching for these movements.

I once almost inexplicably jumped into the sea. Where I live there's a lovely coastal walk over the cliffs that's popular with dog walkers. There's an official coastal path and a much more dangerous 'unofficial' one that you're strongly warned against walking along (it's technically fenced off but there are lots of gaps to squeeze through). I was walking along the unofficial path with my two dogs, just a few steps from the edge of a very steep cliff when I was overcome with an urge to jump into the sea. I started moving towards the edge fully intending to jump in when I suddenly snapped back out of it. Never happened before or since, and I'm not sure if it's the same thing that's being described here, but it was odd.

@Enid Coleslaw that sounds terrifying! And very similat to Lethbridge's "ghoul" theories.

Did you notice the dogs? were they involved in any way you could perceive?

@Enid Coleslaw that sounds terrifying! And very similat to Lethbridge's "ghoul" theories.

Did you notice the dogs? were they involved in any way you could perceive?

It was about a decade ago now, so my memory is hazy, but I don't think the dogs were affected - they were just running along exploring as normal I think. I do remember being really worried about what would have happened to them when I snapped out of it though.

The urge to jump (especially into water below) is fairly common. The subject has come up in various other threads, such as:

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/anyone-suffer-from-vertigo.61649/

That's interesting. I'll take a look.

She certainly gave me a good spanking, that's for sure.

Absolutely. And stone-cold sober too. I wasn't scared, almost just resigned to my fate, and I think the worst thing was definitely that the world would see just how daft I'd been.

Here's a definition of drowning from Wikipedia, which sounds terrifying to me - being unable to call for help (assuming that I'd got in the water with other people nearby!). There are videos out there if you look in the right (or wrong) places, showing people actually drowning, and there's no hint that any of them are literally about to die before your eyes/lens :

Drowning is most often quick and unspectacular. Its media depictions as a loud, violent struggle have much more in common with distressed non-swimmers, who may well drown but have not yet begun to do so. In particular, an asphyxiating person is seldom able to call for help. The instinctive drowning response covers many signs or behaviors associated with drowning or near-drowning:

• Head low in the water, mouth at water level
  • Head tilted back with mouth open
  • Eyes glassy and empty, unable to focus
  • Eyes open, with fear evident on the face
  • Hyperventilating or gasping
  • Trying to swim in a particular direction but not making headway
  • Trying to roll over on the back to float
  • Uncontrollable movement of arms and legs, rarely out of the water.

Drowning begins at the point a person is unable to keep their mouth above water; inhalation of water takes place at a later stage. Most people demonstrating the instinctive drowning response do not show obvious prior evidence of distress.
A person drowning is generally unable to call for help, or seek attention, as they cannot obtain enough air. The instinctive drowning response is the final set of autonomic reactions in the 20–60 seconds before sinking underwater, and to the untrained eye can look similar to calm safe behavior. Lifeguards and other persons trained in rescue learn to recognize drowning people by watching for these movements.

There's a Guardian article I wanted to post here about drowning, written by the father of a girl who was rescued right in front of him. He and others had no idea of the danger she was in.

Back