• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

James Last now Val Doonican, are these the last of the Lounge Lizards*? As a career move, death appears to do nothing to shift the mountains of unloved vinyl they once surmounted and roared upon.

Where are they now? Mrs Mills of the cellulite arms; her LPs all promised a party but she was always on her own.
Russ Conway, Harry Secombe, Liberace, Pinky and Perky, they have all gone into landfill in their millions yet they hover still in flea-markets like corpse-lights, as if the vinyl resurrection might one day include them.

I spend way too much time rooting through records. :eek:

*Ken Dodd is still alive but I don't think he sings much now.

Last edited:
When Christopher Lee died, I wondered if he was the last of the Hammer regulars to leave us, because I couldn't think of anyone else from his era still alive. Had a look and was pleasantly surprised to read Barbara Shelley is still with us in her eighties, could have sworn she'd gone in the last couple of years.

I was utterly convinced John Goodman died of a heart attack in the late 90s. I was sure I remembered hearing it on the news and thinking 'oh that's sad, I remember him in Rosanne'. Few years ago I saw him on TV. I was completely baffled.

My theory is that perhaps our brains cluster people into certain profiles based on physicality, character, etc. If we're not overtly familiar with a given celebrity perhaps we might accidentally assign the news to a similar 'profile'. In my instance I'd guess that someone with a similar public profile and vibe to Goodman died and I subsequently recalled the wrong actor guy's demise.

The dad from 2.4 Children died from a heart attack in the late 90s. He was very much a British version of 'Dan'. Maybe it was him you were thinking of.

For me the biggest story out of the new Harper Lee book drama was that Harper Lee was still alive.

Last edited:
I thought I saw her in the Deadpool trailer, but apparently that's not her. I was hoping for a return to some Truck Turner dialogue.

I was so sure Lou Ferrigno died a few months ago, in the winter. But NO, he's alive? WTF?
I think I even remember reading it on TMZ. Perhaps a similar celeb died.

Would you believe Zsa Zsa Gabor is still alive? I only found out because I've recently developed a fascination with Liberace, and apparently her home stood in for his mansion in Behind the Candelabra.

I think the only film of hers I've actually seen is the enjoyably tacky Queen of Outer Space.

mqs0GaX.jpg

Would you believe Zsa Zsa Gabor is still alive? I only found out because I've recently developed a fascination with Liberace, and apparently her home stood in for his mansion in Behind the Candelabra.

I think the only film of hers I've actually seen is the enjoyably tacky Queen of Outer Space.

mqs0GaX.jpg

""The best way to attract a man immediately is to have a magnificent bosom and a half-size brain and to let both of them show. If you already have these two things, though, you probably aren't reading this because you don't need to. You are too busy beating men off with a basball bat."

One of those Awful Library Books. I posted it last month but now we have another image of her! :D

Zsa Zsa is more a celebrity than an actress, as were her sisters, so she'd show up in Touch of Evil for a bit, or that Naked Gun movie for a cameo, then went on being famous for being famous. Ahead of her time, you might say. She is still alive but in very poor health, sad to say.

I see that Blakey from "On the buses" died recently. I thought he'd been dead for years

I remember clearly, a couple of years back, that Michael Eavis, founder of the Glastonbury Festival, had died. As I recall, his daughter was to pick up the reins and continue where he left off.

Anyway, fast forward to last week, and there he was on the news, being interviewed about rural affairs, so I look him up on the net, and yes, he's in his late 70s, but very much alive and well.

I thought I heard a news report that Morgan Freeman had died the other day, but he clearly hasn't. I tend to turn Radio 4 on quite early in the morning when I'm still drifting in and out of sleep, so I guess I must have dreamt it.

I remember clearly, a couple of years back, that Michael Eavis, founder of the Glastonbury Festival, had died. As I recall, his daughter was to pick up the reins and continue where he left off.

Anyway, fast forward to last week, and there he was on the news, being interviewed about rural affairs, so I look him up on the net, and yes, he's in his late 70s, but very much alive and well.
Short documentary here from June:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02t9djl/glastonbury-the-udder-side

Morgan Freeman was in a serious car crash a few months ago too, that might have filtered into your consciousness.

I remember an interview at the time and he said it was all getting too much at his age and that's why he was passing on the reins.

Terry Gilliam laughs off Variety's dead Python blunder
Film director takes to Facebook to apologise for his own ‘death’ after website publishes premature obituary
Ben Child
Wednesday 9 September 2015 15.44 BST

Reports of Terry Gilliam’s death may have been greatly exaggerated, but that hasn’t stopped the film director and Monty Python troupe member from taking great pleasure in confirming them. After Hollywood film industry bible Variety mistakenly announced that Gilliam had passed away, sparking a torrent of mirth at its faux pas, the UK-based film-maker has taken to Facebook to “apologise for being dead”.

Variety’s pre-prepared obituary, titled “Monty Python’s Terry Gilliam, director of Brazil, dies at XXX” was accidentally published on Tuesday for unknown reasons. According to reports, it was live for several hours before the website realised its mistake. Variety later tweeted: “CORRECTION: Variety incorrectly published an article stating that director Terry Gilliam passed away. We’re deeply sorry for the mistake.”

Gilliam’s Facebook post was accompanied by one of the UK-based film-maker’s famous collage artworks, and read: “I APOLOGIZE FOR BEING DEAD especially to those who have already bought tickets to the upcoming talks, but, Variety has announced my demise. Don’t believe their retraction and apology!”

Twitter burst into joy after Variety’s error went viral, with Monty Python fans relentlessly mining the blunder for comedy gold. “Monty Python’s Terry Gilliam is not dead. He’s resting… he’s stunned… he’s pining for the fjords,” tweeted one user, in reference to the famous Dead Parrot Python sketch. Another riffed off John Cleese’s line in the 1975 film Monty Python and the Holy Grail, posting: “Variety has downgraded Terry Gilliam from dead to ‘merely a flesh wound’.” :D

Gilliam, 74, is in fact alive and well and due to release an autobiography, Gilliamesque, on 1 October. He’s also due to give talks on the memoir in New York, on 20 October, and in London on 7 October. The book, from Canongate, is rather appropriately subtitled: Terry Gilliam’s “pre-posthumous memoir”.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/09/terry-gilliam-dead-monty-python-variety-blunder

Right, I'm on safe ground here. I distinctly remember - and I don't mean vaguely, I mean with absolute certainty - that Keith Allen died a few years back. I was slightly saddened, as I'd always enjoyed his slightly unhinged acting style, the way he chewed up the scenery if given a chance. Heart attack, as I recall, possibly brought on by drink or drugs*.

Well, I was on safe ground, until yesterday, when I spotted him on a show called Time Crashers, with Kirstie Alley and Jermaine Jenas, amongst others. So I checked, and yes, he's 62, and not even a little bit dead.

*... and no, I'm not getting him mixed up with his character in Shallow Grave, thanks for asking!

...Houston’s hologram tour is ‘a great opportunity for her fans to see a reinvention of one the most celebrated female artists in history’

As opposed to, just for example, a shameless cash-in?

Maybe, just to add a touch of class, they could have holograms of Whitney Houston and her daughter, in the bath, duetting to "Rehab"? It's what she would have wanted, I feel...

Will this actually happen through? I've previously read stories about Michael Jackson and Liberace going on tour as holograms, but so far nothing tangible seems to have happened with either of them.

Back