• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Patrick's apparently been killed several times by fake news reports.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/patrick-stewart/deathhoax.html

When the dear old Guardian cocked things up with an ambiguously written report hinting Patrick S had come out as gay, he was amused enough to write back that at least this time when they'd got it wrong, they'd left him alive and with something new to enjoy...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/19/patrick-stewart-outed-gay_n_4814994.html
There was, and possibly still is, a website or individual etc that went through a phase of reporting that certain actors had just died because they fell off of a cliff in New Zealand .. I stumbled across a convincing looking fake report that Bruce Campbell had died this way, did a bit of research and assured the Evil Dead community that he was still alive and kicking ..

SirPatStew was looking pretty alive when he presented Have I Got News For You last week.

He was brilliant, obviously.

I was working night shift last night. I went to bed around 07:00 this morning and woke up at 14:30 utterly convinced that I'd heard on the radio that Patrick Stewart had been found dead. Now there's been no mention of it on the radio since and none of the news websites have anything about it so presumably it's the product of my sleep addled mind. But it seems so real to me!

just wondering: I bet it probably WAS on the radio, with the newsroom having been taken in by a bit of fake news somebody gathered from the Net, and they put it out without fact-checking, because it sounded convincing... when they realised they'd been had, they discreetly dropped the story and didn't draw attention to the fact. A pitfall of underfunded newsrooms with inexperienced staff rooting round the Net for breaking news they can use...

I dunno, tiredness might come into it. A few years ago I woke up convinced that I'd heard Tom Jones' death announced on the radio. He'd succumbed to a short illness. Although he hadn't at all, of course.

Last edited:
There was, and possibly still is, a website or individual etc that went through a phase of reporting that certain actors had just died because they fell off of a cliff in New Zealand .. I stumbled across a convincing looking fake report that Bruce Campbell had died this way, did a bit of research and assured the Evil Dead community that he was still alive and kicking ..
Well, someone's still posting as him on Twitter, so I guess he's still alive.

The last I heard about someone dying in New Zealand was when Channel 9 entertainment "reporter" Richard Wilkins repeated as fact a rumour circulating on Twitter that Jeff Goldblum had died that way the same day Michael Jackson actually died. Then again, Wilkins has form, as he was the only "media" type who fell for an April Fool's Day gag in 2000 about the Sydney Olympic Games being withdrawn, and a new tender process being undertaken to find a new host city. (He then claimed he'd got the joke, and was trying to join in on it. Oddly enough, no-one believed him.)

Surprising conversation with my husband tonight. He tried to tell me that Bun E. Carlos, drummer for Cheap Trick, was dead. Not just recently dead either, but several years dead.

Since Bun E. is my favorite drummer, I was doubtful. Surely I'd have heard about this, and didn't he just put out a solo album? But OH was insistent, so we checked. Fortunately for us as well as Bun E., he is indeed alive.

The weird thing about this is that not only did OH think Bun E Carlos was dead, he was also sure we'd talked about it at length. Now, I know I would have remembered ever having such a conversation. It would have stood out had it happened, but I can recall no such thing.

Now we're both wondering how this came about. Was it a very realistic dream? Or maybe OH slipped into an alternate universe for a minute? No idea, but for now we're happy that Bun E. still lives.

Surprised to learn that the wonderful Harry Dean Stanton is alive.

Kinda thought he was dead...
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger (or Tonto, for that matter). I thought he was dead too. I just looked him up on IMDb and he is still with us, it seems.

Is he still touring with his band?

Every once in a while he'll pop up somewhere (I think the last time was in Avengers, so a while back I guess) to remind us he's still around.

o_O Didn't I hear he died a few months ago?
Did you? I always confuse him with Dean Stockwell, as it happens...

I keep being surprised that Richard Schiff is still alive (and I hope he carries on that way). Possibly I am confusing him with another West Wing actor, who definitely has died.

Harry Dean Stanton is one of those actors who can almost ensure a film's success - like a seal of approval.

Mark Hamill was shocked to hear of his own demise today :

2UnYHBF.gif

More fake news.

Surprised to see Ken Rosewall at the tennis today. Not playing, obviously, as a spectator. He's 82, according to Google.

Me too - how weird...I must stop mocking those 'Mandela Effect' people.

Good on HDS. I'd noticed he'd been looking quite content, but a bit like Keef's Grandad in recent years (but then so do I some mornings).

In fact I was convinced I'd heard of his demise. Am glad it is not so.

What's wrong with us / wrong with the universe(s) ?? *suffers existential horrors*

Last edited:
American comedian Bob Newhart is still alive. My flabber is well and truly gasted.

American comedian Bob Newhart is still alive. My flabber is well and truly gasted.
I was sure I'd heard he'd died. It certainly would explain his non-appearance in the season finale of The Librarians.

I was sure I'd heard he'd died.
In recent years he was a recurring character on The Big Bang Theory, but was killed off (..though I think he comes back as an occassional ghost/imaginary friend.) He was also closely associated with the comedian Don Rickles who died a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Rex Makin, Liverpool Solicitor, dead at 91.

Never out of the paper back in the sixties and seventies. Quite often defending himself for the kind of victimless offences which are now regarded as history. RIP.
I never saw this.. I worked for him for all of one day after I left school. I quit...from this distance in time it probably had more to do with personal laziness on my part than anything else. All that standing up all day filing. RE: his victimless offences I do recall being slightly creeped out (perhaps it was only in retrospect) when the then already elderly looking gentleman asked me why I didn't have a girlfriend "A good looking boy like you?" in the interview.

i watched The Odd Couple last night was later surprised to find Neil Simon is still alive and celebrated his 90th birthday last month.

One of my favourite character actors. I thought he might be in the cemetery too, but I think I was thinking of Jack Nance. Enough thinking.

For some reason I thought that Dennis Skinner MP was dead. He's not! He's 85 and still representing Bolsover.

Back