• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Oh. I thought Esther Rantzen was dead (I thought I'd seen her obituaries a while back and everything). But there she was just now doing some charity advert for the NSPCC on the tv.

sorry Esther.

I don't even know who I was confusing her with. Or whether I just dreamt it up. Suppose it shows reality isn't quite what you think it is. Perhaps I should be more sceptical about other things I think are true :)

Oh. I thought Esther Rantzen was dead (I thought I'd seen her obituaries a while back and everything). But there she was just now doing some charity advert for the NSPCC on the tv.

sorry Esther.

I don't even know who I was confusing her with. Or whether I just dreamt it up. Suppose it shows reality isn't quite what you think it is. Perhaps I should be more sceptical about other things I think are true :)
Rantzen's husband Desmond Wilcox died in 2000, maybe you misheard something about that?

That's possible. But I have this vague memory of seeing it in the online newspaper (which I'd not have been reading in 2000) and really within the last couple of years.
Just losing the plot, that's all :)

sorry Esther.

I, for some inexplicable reason, used to get Esther Rantzen and Erin Pizzey mixed up. I was CONVINCED Erin Pizzey was dead, so I thought maybe you'd mixed them up too. Went to check on Erin Pizzey's date of death and, blow me, SHE'S still alive!

This is annoying me now, I was so convinced of Erin Pizzey's death. So who am I thinking about? It was a lady who was very strong on women's rights and started out the women's refuges from domestic abuse. This is Erin Pizzey, yet I KNOW, absolutely, that someone involved in this died, I am so utterly gobsmacked that she's alive that I can't get my head around it. Who am I thinking of then?

I just saw that Larry Hankin (Mr Heckles) appeared on the Friends reunion show, and I really could have sworn that he died 2 or 3 years ago. I'm trying to think if there's a similar actor (or an actor who played a a similar role) that I got him confused with, but I'm gettin' nothing.

(In relation to Friends, I discovered recently that my brother had this same mistaken belief about Elliot Gould, but he's quite detuned from pop culture, so I find it pretty easy to believe that he just got it wrong)

I just saw that Larry Hankin (Mr Heckles) appeared on the Friends reunion show, and I really could have sworn that he died 2 or 3 years ago. I'm trying to think if there's a similar actor (or an actor who played a a similar role) that I got him confused with, but I'm gettin' nothing.

(In relation to Friends, I discovered recently that my brother had this same mistaken belief about Elliot Gould, but he's quite detuned from pop culture, so I find it pretty easy to believe that he just got it wrong)

I thought the same thing about Larry Hankin, though in my mind he died about a year and half ago. I wonder who we are thinking of?

What was your mistaken belief abot Elliot Gould?

David Crosby of Crosby, Still, Nash & Young. I had this feeling he may have died until I read yesterday that he is still prolifically producing music, although any chance of a reunion with his bandmates is off the agenda as it seems they no longer talk to him.

Last edited:
I was sure the novelist Martin Amis had died a few years ago, so imagine my surprise when I popped into Waterstones earlier this year and saw a book of his pride of place on the 'new releases' shelf.

I think I may have mistaken him with AA Gill, but really, who knows?!

both myself and husband were sure tommy chong had died, but hes still going strong, we both spoke about this to each other when he was recently on tv. Also, when anderson cooper came out and said he was gay, i said so what, he came out years ago. I didnt get why everyone was all of a sudden talking about it again. I distinctly remember watching him on tv takling about this. But no it was a recent disclosure. Where did this false memory come from, and why?

Last edited:
I was having a chat with someone and the cartoonist Bill Tidy came up. We both thought he was dead but he's still with us at the age of 87.
I was looking to invest in some Bill Tidy originals a while back, but they are really expensive. Abandoned that idea!
He's still knocking them out.

Just saw one of those "you'll never believe what they look like now" clickbait ads referencing a 97 year old Leslie "ding dong" Phillips. I thought **** off , that one is an out and out lie, he died about 10 years ago. So i googled him to prove it. Nope..he's alive and 97.

I believe poor Leslie Phillips is in ill health after a stroke a few years ago, and the trauma of his wife's suicide. As if any more proof were needed those clickbait ads were terrible and created by terrible human beings.

I believe poor Leslie Phillips is in ill health after a stroke a few years ago, and the trauma of his wife's suicide. As if any more proof were needed those clickbait ads were terrible and created by terrible human beings.

Yes, it was a horrendous way to kill yourself.

I was in the the shower this morning mindlessly thinking of t.v shows I enjoyed when younger and my thoughts drifted to the wonderful Good Life and my first thought then was Penelope Keith still alive? Not having heard otherwise, a quick check tells me she's still going string at 80. Loved that show. I have the box set somewhere. Must dig it out.
Yes she's still around.
Houses as they are now;
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6...4!1sL0x_g4cy4zWsyYexsCSgDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This is annoying me now, I was so convinced of Erin Pizzey's death. So who am I thinking about? It was a lady who was very strong on women's rights and started out the women's refuges from domestic abuse. This is Erin Pizzey, yet I KNOW, absolutely, that someone involved in this died, I am so utterly gobsmacked that she's alive that I can't get my head around it. Who am I thinking of then?
I think I have solved my own mystery. I seem to have been thinking of Denise Robertson, although why I got the two mixed up I have no idea! Maybe they appeared on This Morning together at one point?

I thought the same thing about Larry Hankin, though in my mind he died about a year and half ago. I wonder who we are thinking of?

Did you mishear the reports of Larry Hagman's demise?

Keith Allen still surprises me by being alive. My former belief that he had died is itself refusing to die...

Jimmy Tarbuck showed up in the crowd on Match of the Day the other week. I thought he'd died before Brucie, but no.

David Crosby of Crosby, Still, Nash & Young. I had this feeling he may have died until I read yesterday that he is still prolifically producing music, although any chance of a reunion with his bandmates is off the agenda as it seems they no longer talk to him.
According to some clickbaity-looking article I saw yesterday Crosby says of Young “He's probably the most self-centred, self-obsessed, selfish person I know. He only thinks about Neil, period. etc"

According to some clickbaity-looking article I saw yesterday Crosby says of Young “He's probably the most self-centred, self-obsessed, selfish person I know. He only thinks about Neil, period. etc"
Do you remember NY's Pro Reagan phase? I remember him being interviewed by Andy Kershaw and feigning ignorance of the concept of 'jingoism'.

Do you remember NY's Pro Reagan phase? I remember him being interviewed by Andy Kershaw and feigning ignorance of the concept of 'jingoism'.
There must've been summat in it for 'im! :chuckle:

Probably from a 'proper' interview with DC in the Grauniad, the second in a year or so. Considering his lifestyle, which has resulted in a liver transplant, he's doing very well to have made 80, and he's more prolific than he's ever been, and his new music has been positively reviewed too.

In a slightly fortean twist, a son he didn't know about and who was adopted, had been a musician for 20 years before being reunited with his dad. They now perform together.

Me, I like a bit of CSN, CSNY, the Byrds, Buffalo Springfield (including S and Y) etc...

Edited to include the link:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2...ng-is-probably-the-most-selfish-person-i-know

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised today to find out that eccentric 70s and 80s children's TV star and inventor Wilf Lunn is still alive and aged 79.

Wikipedia describes him as a "prolific constructor of novelty bicycles and an inventor of strange devices". Delighted to hear that Wilf is still around and I hope he will be for some time.

wilf_fishhat.jpg

Pleasantly surprised today to find out that eccentric 70s and 80s children's TV star and inventor Wilf Lunn is still alive and aged 79.

Wikipedia describes him as a "prolific constructor of novelty bicycles and an inventor of strange devices". Delighted to hear that Wilf is still around and I hope he will be for some time.

View attachment 45002
I.remember he had a segment on Johnny Balls show, he has an appreciation thread too.

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=26823.0

And so does 'The Great Egg Race'

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27208.0

Back