• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

I've not heard of Harry Belafonte for ages- but he's still around!

Hay Festival 2012: Harry Belafonte is a guest star
Harry Belafonte, the acclaimed singer and social campaigner, will appear at the 2012 Telegraph Hay Festival.
By Martin Chilton, Digital Culture Editor
2:26PM GMT 24 Feb 2012

Singer, actor, civil rights activist and international humanitarian Harry Belafonte will be one of the headline stars of the 2012 Telegraph Hay Festival.

Belafonte, 84, who was born in Harlem, New York, was the first African-American ever to win an Emmy Award and was a key confidant to Martin Luther King Jr. His dedicated work on behalf of African children stricken by poverty and HIV/AIDS, as well as his outspoken advocacy for the poor and oppressed across the globe, has earned international recognition.

His captivating memoir, My Song, won the Outstanding Literary Work (Biography) award at the NAACP Image honours in New York last week.

Belafonte is also known as a vibrant and seminal musician. A Second World War Navy veteran, Belafonte worked as a club singer until his breakthrough 1956 album, Calypso, which was the first LP in history to sell more than one million copies. He was dubbed the King of Calypso for popularising Caribbean music in The Banana Boat Song, with its signature lyric 'Day-O'.

etc...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/hay- ... -star.html

Talking of Day-O, Stan Freberg is still alive too - but don't mention that to Harry Belafonte.

Jimmy Carson, I was under the impression he had been dead for years, then his death is in the paper.

Shocking.

Engelbert Humperdinck, Thought he was dead, and today I find out he is representing the uk in eurovision. :oops:

Renfield286 said:
Engelbert Humperdinck, Thought he was dead, and today I find out he is representing the uk in eurovision. :oops:

Same here, though even if he was dead he'd have been better than some of the ones we've had in the last few years.

He looks in pretty good shape for a man of 75. We will win! :)

He's looking better than Tom Jones, who seems to be morphing into Dr Zeus from Planet of the Apes..
tom_jones_CLFEL.jpg

I mean, seriously Tom.. what's going on there?

Clive Dunn is still alive and doing very well. Thought he'd died a few years ago.

Nancy Reagan and Jimmy Carter, still plugging away.

I remember having a massive argument with the wife about Arthur C Clarke, she was convinced he was dead. He died a few days after, so that nailed that argument.

Amazed to find that Cliff Michelmore is still alive!

I was sure that George Bush Senior had popped his cloggs a few years back, turns out he's still going. It's odd because I'm sure I saw it on the news, but it can't have been. :?

Dick Van Dyke, 86, and his new bride – aged 40
Star married 'on the spur of the moment'
Guy Adams Los Angeles
Sunday 11 March 2012

At his stage in life, social pursuits that risk making your heart start beating like a big brass band are supposed to be strictly off-limits. But Dick Van Dyke doesn't care: he's just become a happy newlywed at the age of 86.

The Hollywood star, who in the 1964 film Mary Poppins gave voice to the most famous mockney accent in the history of entertainment, announced yesterday that he has married his make-up artist, Arlene Silver. She is 40. A "spur of the moment" wedding took place at a chapel near his home in Malibu on 29 February, Van Dyke revealed in a videotaped interview with a show-business website. Embracing his new spouse, he declared: "I'm looking forward to a long and happy marriage."

The actor's nuptials fall into a grand Hollywood tradition of so-called "May to December" romances. The wedding was witnessed by a few close friends, along with Ms Silver's family, said a spokesman. Van Dyke's four children did not choose to attend. "I got married on 29 February, kind of on the spur of the moment," he told a videographer from the website RumorFix. "We decided that a leap day would be the best day to do it. Her name was Arlene Silver. She's now Arlene Silver Van Dyke."

Van Dyke was last married in 1948, in a ceremony broadcast live on the television show Bride and Groom. He had four children with his first wife, Margie Willett, but they divorced in the mid-1980s after a long separation.

News of the marriage has raised eyebrows among commentators, who point out that the new Mrs Van Dyke wasn't even born when her husband's eponymous prime-time TV show – the source of much of his fortune – was launched in the early 1970s.

Several newspapers borrowed the headline "Gor Blimey!" from Van Dyke's catchphrase as Bert the chimney sweep in Mary Poppins – the movie that first propelled him to international stardom.

The publicist Bob Palmer, a longstanding friend of Van Dyke, told the Associated Press: "I've never seen him happier. She adds a lot to his life."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 55064.html

Gor Blimey indeed! 8)

For a while now I've thought Noel Edmonds was dead. Finally he appear on the Mail website totally alive. I must have mistaken him for another TV-show host.

And of course, it was Jeremy Beadle I was thinking about.

A search on the net finally revealed Jeremy Beadle. Found it after wading through 10 pages of news about Kristian Digby, Mark Speight, Natasha Collins and Angie Dowds.

Noel Edmonds is on telly these days with 'Deal or No Deal'. I guess you probably don't get it on Norwegian TV? You're so lucky.

I'm unsettled today to hear of Sylvester Stallone's sons death, as I was sure I had heard of this about 3 weeks ago, and when I checked the report it happened on Friday (13th). :?
I'm trying to think if I'm confusing it with the death of the son some similar person but I can't think of anyone.

And while we're on the subject - Ernest Borgnine. He definitely carked it only recently and I was fairly certain that he had started pushing up daisies at least 5 years ago.

(edited mis-spellings)

gman72 said:
I was watching one of my most loved sci-fi movies last week, The Black Hole. I got to thinking about how much i enjoy Ernest Borgnine's performance in this and many other movies and how sad it was that he'd passed away in the mists of the early nineties. I googled it to find out how and when he died to satisfy my morbid curiosty only to find out he was still very much alive and well and still working at the grand old age of 93. He was the co-pilot in the TV series Airwolf and was great in the Poseiden Adventure but my most loved of his roles was the sadistic train guard in Emporer of the North Pole. I was amused to find out that he currently voices the character Mermaid Man in Spongebob Squarepants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernest_Borgnine#Film

Dammit - you cursed him - it's only after posting my comment just now that I bothered to look back at the previous posts and saw the emerging details of Ernests career etc..... !!!!

Neddy Seagoon recently passed away, crying, "You swine, you deaded me!" which made Bluebottle very cross.

You fool! He's alive and well - in fact he's on the radio now, as we speak, right here.

Seagoon dead, indeed :roll:.

I always had trouble with Ronnie Barker. I thought he was dead long before he was, and then, when he did die, I missed it and carried on thinking that he was alive for about another 3 years. Guy couldn't win.

I've been reading about the return of the soap, Dallas and wondering how they would be able to do it without JR, as I was absolutely convinced that Larry Hagman died a couple of years ago. Then I saw a new picture of JR with Bobby and Sue Ellen. I wondered if he'd been inserted using CGI.

I've just seen a piece on TV about the new series and at 81, Larry Hagman is obviously still very much alive. Which is kind of cool, as Hagman is a much more fun guy than the character he portrays. Nice to see he's still on the go.

I'm holding out for an I Dream of Jeannie revival. Barbara Eden's still with us too!

IIRC, Larry Hagman was in the news a few years back after having a liver transplant. Maybe that's why you thought he had died?

David Attenborough is someone I thought had passed away a couple of years ago, but (thankfully!) he's still with us :) Where I got the idea he died I don't know!

gncxx said:
I'm holding out for an I Dream of Jeannie revival. Barbara Eden's still with us too!
Hagman opted out of the last one of those, back in the 80s. He was replaced by someone off M*A*S*H. (It was either Wayne Rogers, or the guy who replaced him whose name eludes me just now.)

I'd find it hard to believe David Attenborough would go before his older brother. I mean, just considering their contrasting lifestyles, and David always looked healthier than Dickie.

Anome_ said:
I'd find it hard to believe David Attenborough would go before his older brother. I mean, just considering their contrasting lifestyles, and David always looked healthier than Dickie.

Dickie's supposedly in a very bad way these days, so you might be right.

David swallowed whole by a horrible plant in a jungle at the same moment as Dickie is torn apart by frenzied Lovies . . . just a private reverie. :blissed:

Not that I'm wishing it on them.

JamesWhitehead said:
David swallowed whole by a horrible plant in a jungle at the same moment as Dickie is torn apart by frenzied Lovies . . . just a private reverie. :blissed:

Not that I'm wishing it on them.

Still though, it would make a good film, Triffids & Zombies.

At the end of 2002, I would swear up and down I saw a video tribute to Robert Palmer, who had died that year.

A few months later, when people kept mentioning how surprised they were by his death, how young he was, etc. I thought yes it's tragic, but why is everyone talking about it now, he died months ago! Oops. :oops:

Since then I've tried to puzzle out what exactly I saw in that video tribute, or thought I saw. It's a mystery. I've searched for the video, I've searched lists of dead celebrities for someone who I might have mistaken for Robert Palmer, but no dice. Well, it wouldn't be the first time I'd seen something on television that hadn't happened yet. :?

Back