• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

SameOldVardoger said:
oldrover said:
Jeremy Beadle is dead?

He's definetly no longer about.

There was some controversy regarding his actual time of death. Something about the coroner not noticing that the big hand was pointing at the little hand.

I'm watching...

The Many Faces of... - Series 2
- 2. Stanley Baxter

Celebrating the extraordinary career of entertainer Stanley Baxter, whose shows captivated huge audiences for twenty years before the cost of his epics priced him off our screens. Tracing his origins to Scotland's variety and review stages, his story is told by admiring fans including Michael Grade, Barry Cryer, Bill Oddie and Gregor Fisher.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ey_Baxter/

Available until
8:59PM Sat, 12 Jan 2013

Now I'd assumed that he was dead, but apparently not! According to Wiki, he was born in May 1926, so he's now pushing 87.

A great entertainer!

HenryFort said:
then he retired early ...
Well, you have to watch the prog to understand the reasons behind that.

(Basically, there wasn't the money available for big spectacular shows any more. Stanley Baxter Lite? No, it wouldn't have worked.)

Well, here's an odd one: I thought Gary Coleman was most definitely alive (for no particular reason) and now I've found out he passed in 2010!

I do not remember hearing about that one.

MercuryCrest said:
Well, here's an odd one: I thought Gary Coleman was most definitely alive (for no particular reason) and now I've found out he passed in 2010!

whatchoo talkin bout willis ?

MercuryCrest said:

Strange you should mention that. The actor who played the boys's adopted father in Diff'rent Stokes died yesterday.

Actual, it's not that strange at all. :cry:

I had heard of his passing and decided to look up a few people, Gary Coleman being one of them.

I've also found that if you ask Google, "How did [celebrity X] die?" it'll answer you directly.

I find that mildly creepy, yet eminently useful.

MercuryCrest said:
Actual, it's not that strange at all. :cry:

I had heard of his passing and decided to look up a few people, Gary Coleman being one of them.

I've also found that if you ask Google, "How did [celebrity X] die?" it'll answer you directly.

I find that mildly creepy, yet eminently useful.

Did a few tests:

Crucifixion
Jesus Christ, Cause of death

Alzheimer's disease, Pneumonia
Ronald Reagan, Cause of death

Suicide, Gunshot, Firearm
Kurt Cobain, Cause of death

Neat.

It's probably because Google gets asked certain types of questions very frequently. They may simply have added this in as a special bit of contextual AI to answer those questions directly. I like that feature, it's fast.

Years ago I had convinced myself that the actor Robert Morley was dead - so was a bit surprised when he turned up on a chatshow. He has of course died since then.

Yeah me too! I thought he was an old man when his records were hits.....obviously not.

RIP The Real Slim

gncxx said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
His music saved us from Martian invasion.

I always wondered what Slim thought of that movie. Flattered, I hope.
Oh yeah!
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jun/19/slim-whitman-dies-89

... Then, in 1952, Whitman moved to the west coast independent label Imperial and immediately had a hit with Indian Love Call.

The song, from the 1924 operetta Rose-Marie by Rudolf Friml, Oscar Hammerstein II and Otto Harbach, Indian Love Call had previously been recorded by Nelson Eddy and Jeanette MacDonald. Whitman's version not only reached No 2 in the country charts, but also appeared in the pop top 10, a feat repeated in the UK a few years later in 1955, when it spent 12 weeks in the charts. The director Tim Burton paid it a sort of tribute in his film Mars Attacks! (1996), in which Slim's recording is used as a weapon against alien invaders. "Yes," said Whitman with satisfaction in a 2008 interview, "I'm the one who killed the blasted Martians."

Rose Marie, the title song from the musical, followed in 1954 and fared even better overseas. It held the No 1 position on the UK pop chart for 11 weeks (a run that would not be bettered until Bryan Adams's Everything I Do (I Do It For You) 36 years later) and earned Whitman a spot in the nation's most glittering variety showcase, at the London Palladium. It became Australia's bestselling single to that date. Another UK top 10 hit came in 1957 for I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen.

:lol:

I thought Kalashnikov had died a couple of years ago.

Legendary gunmaker Kalashnikov flown to Moscow for treatment
http://rt.com/news/kalashnikov-plane-moscow-clinic-127/

Mikhail Kalashnikov, world famous inventor, with an AK-47 assault rifle. (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Vyatkin) Mikhail Kalashnikov, world famous inventor, with an AK-47 assault rifle. (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Vyatkin)

93-year-old Mikhail Kalashnikov has been flown to Moscow for hospital treatment on an Emergencies Ministry plane after being taken ill in his home city of Izhevsk. The iconic gunsmith is said to be in a serious condition.

The inventor of the AK-47 assault rifle endured the flight well and has been sent to undergo medical treatment in a Central military hospital in the Russian capital, reports Itar-Tass.

Kalashnikov had been admitted to a cardiology hospital in the city of Izhevsk, in the Urals, after suffering a pulmonary thrombosis, when doctors “decided to send Kalashnikov to a Moscow’s clinic for medical supervision,” said Emergencies Ministry’s spokesperson Irina Rossius.

A flying hospital complete with a team of doctors and hi-tech equipment was sent to bring Kalashnikov who also suffers from a heart condition to the capital.

At the end of May Mikhail Kalashnikov spent almost a fortnight undergoing tests in an Izhevsk hospital.

While in hospital the arms designer agreed to transfer the rights to use the Kalashnikov brand name to the Izhmash weapons factory, Russia's largest producer of military automatic and sniper weapons.

The engineer’s health is said to have worsened in December 2012. After a routine check up on December 20 Kalashnikov had to stay in intensive care for some time.

The weapons designer has until recently regularly attended work at the military plant in Izhevsk named after him.

Kenny Rogers? Playing Glasto? Is he a ghost?

Back