• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

Not yet!

David Jacobs steps down from Radio 2

Veteran broadcaster David Jacobs is to leave his Radio 2 show, The David Jacobs Collection, citing ill health.
His regular Sunday night programme features tunes from Hollywood, Broadway and Tin Pan Alley, and has been on the air since 1998.
But Jacobs has been at the BBC since 1945, hosting shows such as Housewives' Choice, Pick of the Pops, Juke Box Jury and Any Questions.
The 87-year-old's last show will be broadcast on Sunday, 4 August.

He said: "Over the past two years Radio 2 has given me time to be treated for liver cancer and Parkinson's Disease.
"My producer, Alan Boyd, has been a tower of strength in so many ways and I thank him profusely.
"We shared a love of so many records and wonderful music.
"I will not stop collecting but my sadness will be that I cannot share them with all my loyal listeners. But rest assured, I will be back from time to time."

Jacobs started his broadcasting career in the Royal Navy in 1944, where he was made an announcer on wartime radio station Radio SEAC.
The invitation came from Commander Kim Peacock, who had heard him appear as a guest on a variety show.
"He said he didn't think much of my impersonations," Jacobs once recalled, "but he thought the way I announced them was very good, would I like to be an announcer?"
"This was unbelievable. I was just a sailor, an ordinary seaman."

After leaving the Navy, Jacobs worked full-time at the BBC as an announcer and newsreader.
He later became one of the original presenters of Top Of The Pops, and preceded Terry Wogan as the BBC's commentator on the Eurovision Song Contest.

One of his most famous radio programmes was sci-fi serial Journey Into Space, for which he eerily introduced all 53 episodes, as well as playing 22 characters. :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23407506

Live long and prosper! (Well, it was the best I could do... ;) )
I listened to Journey Into Space as a kid, but I had no idea then who David Jacobs was.

Yes Rynner, I too listened to "Journey Into Space" over at my grandmother's house, with my great uncle. I had no idea David Jacobs was involved with it.
I also used to try to keep awake to listen to "Pick of the Pops" in bed late on a Sat (?)night, but it was a losing battle, because the programme was preceded by Victor Sylvester, whose music used to send me to sleep!

I'm amazed D.J. is still alive.

What sad news, The David Jacobs Collection is the perfect programme to listen to before you go to sleep on a Sunday. Mind you, he hasn't been sounding in the best of health for a while now, so maybe it's not so much of a shock.

At least Desmond Carrington (also 87) and Brian Matthew are still going strong.

gncxx said:
What sad news, The David Jacobs Collection is the perfect programme to listen to before you go to sleep on a Sunday. Mind you, he hasn't been sounding in the best of health for a while now, so maybe it's not so much of a shock.

It's OK he's not dead! :lol:

Elaine Morgan, who wrote The Descent Of Woman, died last week.
I read that book when it came out. Brilliant work. :D

Whether or not the 'aquatic ape' theory is correct, it was a big departure from the traditional 'naked ape', male-centred ideas about evolution.

Whnever I see a hawk or a goose fly overhead, I think of Morgan.
Explanation:
Hen looks up, sees a bird with a long neck and short tail: thinks: relax, it's a goose!
Hen looks up, sees a bird with a short neck and long tail: thinks: oh no, it's a hawk! I must gather up my chicks and hide them!

CarlosTheDJ said:
gncxx said:

It's OK he's not dead! :lol:

Yer I know, but it's still a pity that he has to give up his regular job due to ill health. Where will I hear old time showbiz anecdotes from someone who was actually there now?

Oh sorry! I thought you thought he was a dead DJ not an ex-DJ.

No, it's OK, it says in the article he'll be returning for one-off shows, though I'd think that depended on how able he was with ailments he's suffering.

I saw today that the producers of The X-Files revival want to bring back the character of Cigarette-Smoking Man, and I was surprised because I was absolutely convinced actor Willam B Davis was dead. Turns out he isn't.

I saw today that the producers of The X-Files revival want to bring back the character of Cigarette-Smoking Man, and I was surprised because I was absolutely convinced actor Willam B Davis was dead. Turns out he isn't.

Me too! But I wonder I've been getting him muddled up with the Marlboro Man actor(s)?

Me too! But I wonder I've been getting him muddled up with the Marlboro Man actor(s)?

Might you have been thinking of John Neville? He had a recurring role in The X-Files and died in 2011 at the age of 86.

Didn't the CSM character die on the show, though?

Didn't the CSM character die on the show, though?

Yes (presumably). The last we saw of the CSM in the TV series was a scene in which a missile zeros in on the niche / cave in which he's hiding and apparently finds its mark.

My mother told us an interesting tale once. A few years after my grandfather had died she saw his double across the road from her. He was heading towards the new school I had recently joined. She almost froze when she saw him, same grey/white hair, same hair style, clothes etc. She almost felt compelled to follow him but decided not too. My grandmother said, "hes just checking everythings fine at the new school". My grandfather died a few weeks before my birth, he was looking forward to it with plans to take me to football matches etc.

I was surprised when I heard that Jeremy Thorpe had died. I thought he'd been dead for years

Thorpe just dropped out of public life completely for his last years. Can't think why.

She almost felt compelled to follow him but decided not too.

Maybe for the best, maybe there was a spooky or unusually co-incidental element to it, it can also just be part of grieving when you think you see the person you knew somewhere.

The Jeremu Thorpe scandal happened when I was quite young but I remembered the name of the other guy involved, Norman Scott, off the top of my head. Odd, the things you remember

The Jeremu Thorpe scandal happened when I was quite young but I remembered the name of the other guy involved, Norman Scott, off the top of my head. Odd, the things you remember

Who remembers the name of the poor dog who was shot dead?

Hang on, I'll summon up my spirit guide, Madame Cholet and ask.....She's parting the veils....The dog was called Rinka. I can only assume that Derek Acorah also uses Google!

Hang on, I'll summon up my spirit guide, Madame Cholet and ask.....She's parting the veils....The dog was called Rinka. I can only assume that Derek Acorah also uses Google!

Welcome to the club...I mean forum..NancyGirl :D

Thank you. I was here under another guise but it was back in 2010 and I couldn't for the life of me remember my user name or password. I decided to opt for a bit of reincarnation

Percy Sledge. Sadly, it's only now that I'm right that I learn I had been wrong for years.

Back