• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

I was watching the Get Back documentaries a few weeks ago and did some supplemental reading on line to answer some questions I had. I was surprised to see Eric Clapton was alive; for some reason I could have sworn I heard he died last year.

Sadly Eric has been in the news over here recently, comparing the Covid vaccination plan to the Holocaust. But he never was a great guy.

Lee Majors - I thought he carked it years ago, but no, he's 82.
AFAIK still working even fairly recently giving voice to 'Jeff Tracy' in 'Thunderbirds are Go', and also appearing in a film called Renegades, currently in post-production.
I don't think he is being kept alive by bionic implants.
Not only is he still alive, he recently starred in Ash Vs Evil Dead playing Ash/Bruce Campbell's dad! .. I got off on that surprise casting because my parents had bought me a Six Million Dollar Man/Lee Majors bionic vision doll when I was a kid in the 70's then I'd gone on to collect Ash figures as an Evil Dead fan before Ash Vs Evil Dead was even thought of .. an extra level of weirdness found me watching it for the first time on my laptop, sedated up to the eyeballs in a hospital bed on a pirate stream that a friendly security guard there tipped me off on how to do ..

Last edited:
Sadly Eric has been in the news over here recently, comparing the Covid vaccination plan to the Holocaust. But he never was a great guy.
There's an aristocratic family a few miles away called Ormsby-Gore. One of the daughters got involved with Clapton and ended up on benefits, living in a bedsit and dying with a needle in her arm.

There's an aristocratic family a few miles away called Ormsby-Gore. One of the daughters got involved with Clapton and ended up on benefits, living in a bedsit and dying with a needle in her arm.
That's horrible, that poor girl, wonder if Clapton kept in touch or cared?

Then there's the 1970s racism - look up what he said on stage and ask yourself why anyone would pay attention to him (but don't repeat it here!).
Didn't George Harrison shag his wife? .. or was it the other way round? ..

It was a very close knit community!
HaHa .. unlucky Eric:

Who is Layla in Eric Claptons song?

The two had met in the late 1960s, when Boyd was married to Clapton's close friend, George Harrison. Clapton fell in love with Boyd, but at the time, she wouldn't leave Harrison to be with him. Clapton penned the song "Layla" about his feelings for Boyd.

edit: blimey .. it was a bit more involved than that ..

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/life/1357626/eric-clapton-life-love-relationship-pattie-boyd

Last edited:
Last edited:
Rock superstar Eric Clapton has admitted for the first time that he was so addicted to drugs and alcohol that he beat his first wife, Patti Boyd.

Blaming drugs and alcohol, bollocks, he was just being a twat.
Reading that article, Clapton sounds like instead of being grateful for his fabulous career and life, he was a selfish, self-possessed, wealthy, overblown idiot.

Just seen that the British actor Jack Smethurst has passed away aged 89. He was quite a familiar face on TV in the 70s ( including the awful sitcom Love thy neighbour) and someone I thought had died years ago. He seemed quite old to me in the 70s, although anyone over 25 seems old when you are 12 or 13:)

Just seen that the British actor Jack Smethurst has passed away aged 89. He was quite a familiar face on TV in the 70s ( including the awful sitcom Love thy neighbour) and someone I thought had died years ago. He seemed quite old to me in the 70s, although anyone over 25 seems old when you are 12 or 13:)
Ah damn, hated LTN but Jack seemed such a nice guy in interviews. And yes, another one I was convinced was dead for many years..

Didn't Bob Dylan call Smokey the greatest poet of the 20th Century? Something like that.

A lot of people have claimed he said it for some decades now, but it seems the alleged quote was in fact created by a Motown publicist.
Al Abrams is a master of this suspect genre. He had a plum gig as the head of PR for Motown during the company's salad days. A whopper he told about Dylan still reverberates. Abrams has told the tale a number of times, but he lays it out best in his 2011 book Hype & Soul: Behind the Scenes at Motown: "One morning I received a memo from Berry reminding me that Smokey Robinson is one of our nation's greatest songwriters and I should really do something in a hurry to promote him as such in the media because he wasn't getting all the recognition he really deserved." He continues, "I mentioned it to Al Aronowitz, a music writer who was also Dylan's biographer and very close friend. Al said that he had heard Dylan praise some of Smokey's lyrics as being poetical. I asked Al if he would let me get a quote from Dylan about Smokey. Al asked me what I had in mind and I suggested Smokey Robinson is America's Greatest Living Poet. Al thought about it for a minute and said, 'Why bother even telling Bob? That sounds just like something he'd say anyway. Go ahead and do it. If Bob sees it in print he'll think he said it. He's certainly never going to deny it.'"

Abrams confesses, "I will admit that I lived in fear every time I heard Dylan was doing a major interview and might say, 'What the fuck? I never said that.'"
SOURCE: http://swarmuth.blogspot.com/2012/08/bob-dylan-and-lie-about-americas.html

Somewhat related to the Peter Dean/Beal thread, where I realised I had been sadly misled about the deadness of said gentleman, I was watching John Rogers on YouTube earlier, where he visited Tony Hancock's memorial stone. 'Of course, he committed suicide...' said John. Surely not, thought I. He fell downstairs drunk and died.... So I went to check.

Bugger me, am I the only person in the world who didn't know TH used drink and pills to end his life? I was absolutely convinced that he fell downstairs. The only reason I can think of is that I was only eight when he died - he was a great hero of my parents so I assume that I heard the news, knew who he was, and asked how he died and that my parents didn't want to tell me the actual way, so told me he fell downstairs? It's quite odd because I have a very clear mental picture of a staircase and his wife screaming (but that will have been childhood imagination playing on the scene).

But yes. Knew he was dead, but it was the how that flummoxed me.

Back