• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

People You Thought Were Dead

A

Anonymous

Has anyone else come across the astonishing appearance of a celebrity/personality in the media that you thought had died many years earlier?

This seems to have happened to me on a number of occassions. Each time, I have a hazy recollection of reports of the persons death.

So what is happening here? Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me or maybe there is something more sinister afoot. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that I've slipped into an alternate dimension, where the dead person is still alive.

If the latter is true then maybe that actually was Elvis I saw skateboarding outside my local Tesco last week.

:eek!!!!:

To avoid those awkward is-he-or-isn't-he-dead moments try the dead people server, I didn't know so many dead celebs were so alive......'ang on I'll try and get the web-site for you....

Should be here

I thought I heard on the radio a few years ago that Paul Young had died of a heart attack. I mentioned it to a few people (including my boss!) and everyone was shocked, then he turned up two weeks later on Never Mind The Buzzcocks.

Doh!

zapcat said:
Has anyone else come across the astonishing appearance of a celebrity/personality in the media that you thought had died many years earlier?

So what is happening here? Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me or maybe there is something more sinister afoot.
:eek!!!!:

....Definitely sinister, mate!

It's a conspiracy to populate the planet with Zombie Luvvies...!

They take over bodies when they hug each other, and when they have 'infected' a certain number of humans, they receive a golden statue as a symbol of their prowess....

...don't say I didn't warn you.... ;)

I thought Christopher Lee had died in the 70's until I saw him on telly the other day :confused:

There's an old wives tale that if you are mistakenly reported dead you get an extra ten years of life...........the thought of some of our 'favourite' celebs being around longer than necessary is frankly alarming!!

when dear old Stanley Unwin died recently, I was surprised, as I was sure I'd read an obituary for him about ten years ago, so maybe that theory's right!

To flip the coin, I had an argument with someone last week brought on by me commenting that it somehow seemed fitting that Spike Milligan was the last Goon to go. This bloke was adamant that Harry Secombe was still alive, and that he'd seen him on the telly that week talking about Spike! I tried to put him right but he wasn't having any of it!

Johnnyboy said:
when dear old Stanley Unwin died recently, I was surprised, as I was sure I'd read an obituary for him about ten years ago, so maybe that theory's right!

Stan "The Man" Unwin? Oh no! He must have been 200 years old!

I heard he did the Small Faces' Ogden's Nut Gone Flake recording for a bottle of scotch.

Harry Secombe Lives!

Johnnyboy said:
To flip the coin, I had an argument with someone last week brought on by me commenting that it somehow seemed fitting that Spike Milligan was the last Goon to go. This bloke was adamant that Harry Secombe was still alive, and that he'd seen him on the telly that week talking about Spike! I tried to put him right but he wasn't having any of it!

I thought Harry Secombe was still living! It was only when Spike passed on that I found out! I heard a quote from him about Spikes death, but later discovered it was a quip from the past....

...unless of course mr. Secombe is ONE OF THEM!!!!
:eek:

(Is Michael Bentine still with us? I found his 'Potty Time' programme strangely disturbing as a child!)....

Papa Lazarou said:
I thought I heard on the radio a few years ago that Paul Young had died of a heart attack. I mentioned it to a few people (including my boss!) and everyone was shocked, then he turned up two weeks later on Never Mind The Buzzcocks.

Doh!

depends which Paul Young you mean .... the one that died was the ex-lead singer of Sad Cafe and Mike and the Mechanics.

Blueswidow said:
Sadly, Michael Bentine has gone......

What was the point of 'Potty Time'?

Erm, yes indeed! What was the point?
The invisible characters with footprints in the snow....weird!

Are you sure MB has died? I was talking to someone last week who said Mr. Bentine was the last remaining Goon.

....unless of course....he's ONE OF THEM!!!!:D

Errrrrr, now you've got me wondering but I'm almost sure he's dead. He didn't appear on any of the Spike tributes after all.

Those invisible footprints....how did they do them??????? Pretty impressive for the 70's......

Thanks Blueswidow.

Great link, but what if the website changes depending on which alternate reality you're currently frequenting?

Well, at least this thread isn't dead yet, or is it?
:D

depends which Paul Young you mean .... the one that died was the ex-lead singer of Sad Cafe and Mike and the Mechanics.

Thanks, Vampirus! I KNEW I'd heard it - thought at the time I was going mad - I'll tell me boss!

Yes, Michael Bentine has passed on, passed over, gone to a better place - in short he is brown bread.

Incidentally, he was very interested in the paranormal, and has written a few books, fiction and non-fiction, on the subject.

Blueswidow said:
Those invisible footprints....how did they do them??????? Pretty impressive for the 70's......

Just 1960's technology Blueswidow!!!!!!

They had much the same thing on M B's earlier TV series: "It's a Square World" which was early 60's!!!!!!

Which in MHO, was one of the best programs of the time, dunno' if tapes of any of the programs still exist though!!!

For some reason, I always thought Geoffrey Holder (who played Punjab in ANNIE) died in the early 80s. But it appears he is still among the living. I'm positive he does voicework in the Priceline radio commercials.

There's the famous case when Chris Evans confidentally pronounced Hughie Green dead, only to have to apologise the week later. They actually wheeled Hughie on to prove it. (Hughie Green is, of course, now dead by the way.)

i was totally convinced anne bancroft was dead... she's not.

and then you have cases like monica vitti (italian actress) whose obituary appeared on the front page of <le monde> or another french daily. the day after, the newspaper had to host a short article by monica vitti who wrote, sorry to tell you but i'm alive and kicking and i feel pretty fine...

rynner said:
Yes, Michael Bentine has passed on, passed over, gone to a better place - in short he is brown bread.

Incidentally, he was very interested in the paranormal, and has written a few books, fiction and non-fiction, on the subject.

While he was alive or posthumously??:)

Carole

Sorry, haven't read the whole thread but, yesterday we read that our old headmaster was still alive, and it was a 'fact' that he died aboout 2 years after we left school (15 years ago). Also, watched a fab docu about Clement Freud, who I thought was dead! The docu ended with Clement reading a letter from someone who had drawn him in his office 'dead pool'. That could be quite Fortean eh!!

Clement Freud not dead? Humphrey Lyttleton not dead? Nicholas
Parsons not dead?

You'll be telling me next that Radio Four isn't the most assured way of listening
to the voices of the departed! :p

Hmmm....

Radio Four...that's proof of EVP then?!:)

I can't believe it...

Bob Hope is still alive? I am convinced I read his obituary and saw a million news items on his departure.

I just went on to the imdb and he is still going. What is going on? I thought he would be as dead as his jokes by now...

...I'm scared - I need help!!!!!!:(

I was convinced for many years that Alaistair Cooke was dead until somebody pointed out that he was still doing Letter From America...

BTW, pantha, did you see the Bob Hope cartoon in 'Viz' a few issues back?? It was the funniest thing I had read in ages....

Wow, Viz? I thought that had died too... I may just have to see if I can get a copy;)

I was quite convinced that Mark Paul Gosselaar (not sure about that spelling) from "Saved by the Bell" had been killed in a motorcycle crash, but apparantly the only thing deceased is his acting career.

Somehow I heard that Jennifer Aniston was dead.
She hasn't been of Friends in forever.
wierd?

I recall reading in 'world of wrestling' about a year ago that Razor Ramone (he is quite a famous wrestler from wcw and wwf) was dead but I think I saw him as part of the 'new world order' with hollywood (formally hulk) hogan and Kevin Nash (formally diesil) on the most reacent WWF main event. It was late and I was half asleap so can anyone conferm this or dose no one give a rats arse about wrestling here?

Back