• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Perceived Body Dysmorphia / Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)

I'm 5,9', which is fairly tall for a girl, but in my minds eye I've never grown above 5ft. It's not a confidence thing, and seems to be unrelated to my personality or anything like that, I'm just mentally short.
:confused:

Maybe part of me refuses to grow up!
:D

I certainly feel a lot less tall than everyone seems to think I am, then always get suprised when i find out im taller than people who i think are really tall.

Oddly enough I do that too Faggus, esp. with people I haven't seen for a while.

Last christmas I went to stay with a friend I hadn't seen for a couple of years. I remembered him being about 6'6", like well tall. When I met him again he was more like 5'11", maybe 6', and actually slightly smaller than me.

Sometimes I feel stupidly large, like I'm taking up most of the room, but not very often and usually when no-one else is around. Maybe other people are a point of reference that reminds me that I'm not?

Sometimes when I'm tired I feel like my mind in sitting outside the back of my head. Sometimes I can feel as if my mouth is filled with cotton wool, I can feel the texture of it. Very strange.

Also if I take my glasses off and try walking round without them it feels like I'm about two feet tall and the ground seems to be uncomfortably near...

I am terribly jealous - after reading this thread I want wings too (although I might go for the big leathery affairs)!!

Anyway from the front page:

How the brain feels false limbs

Scientists have shown how the brain can be fooled into feeling sensations in a fake limb.

They recorded changes in brain activity during an experiment in which volunteers were made to think a rubber hand was their own limb.

The University College London team hope their work will shed light on self-perception disorders such as schizophrenia and stroke.

Their work is published in Science Express Online.

In the study, funded by the Wellcome Trust, volunteers hid their right hand under a table and a rubber hand was put in front of them at an angle to make it look like part of their body.

The rubber hand and hidden real hand were stroked simultaneously with a paintbrush while the volunteer's brain was scanned using magnetic resonance imaging.

You could argue that the bodily self is an illusion being constructed in the brain.
Dr Henrik Ehrsson

It took just 11 seconds for volunteers to start feeling the rubber hand was their own.

The stronger the feeling, the greater the activity recorded in the brain.

Volunteers were later asked to point towards their right hand. Most pointed towards the rubber hand instead of the real one, showing how the brain had readjusted.

The researchers found one area of the brain, called the premotor cortex, recognises the body by accepting information from three different senses - vision, touch and proprioception (position sense).

Mixed messages

But if there are inconsistencies, the brain "believes" visual information as it is the strongest sense.

Lead researcher Dr Henrik Ehrsson said: "The feeling that our bodies belong to ourselves is a fundamental part of human consciousness, yet there are surprisingly few studies of awareness of one's own body.

"Distinguishing oneself from the environment is a critical, everyday problem that has to be solved by the central nervous system of all animals.

"If the distinction fails, the animal might try to feed on itself and will not be able to plan actions that involve both body parts and external objects, such as a monkey reaching for a banana.

"This study shows that the brain distinguishes the self from the non-self by comparing information from the different senses. In a way you could argue that the bodily self is an illusion being constructed in the brain."

Disorders such as schizophrenia and stroke often involve impaired self-perception where, for example, a woman might try to throw her left leg out of bed every morning because she believes the leg belongs to someone else.

Misidentification or unawareness of a limb arising from damage to the premotor cortex from a stroke is not uncommon.

Phantom limb syndrome is a disorder which can arise after amputation.

Remedies that trick the brain into believing the limb has been replaced, for example by using a mirror to reflect the opposite healthy limb onto the amputated limb, exploit the brain's mechanism of self-perception.

Greg Vines, spokesman for the Stroke Association, welcomed the research.

He said: "It's a great step forward. We want to look at widening research out and testing on more cases and developing rehabilitation services to help make people more aware of spatial perception."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/health/3856051.stm

Published: 2004/07/01 23:33:40 GMT

© BBC MMIV

This would tend to suggest that if you think you have extra limbs then you can feel them.

Emps

Onix - for a year or two (maybe longer) in my early/mid-teens I too would often get the urge to travel on all fours instead of bipedally. Never knew what to make of it.

As a child,I too would run about the house on all fours...I was pretty good at it too. I couldn't do it now.

The feeling that I can fly still comes over me,although not with wings...just the same sense of flying that I feel in dreams.

Oddly though,I can still feel as if I have an ape-like thumb growing from the inner side of my feet which I could use for grasping.
Weird thing is,it is in addition to my big toe....as if my big toe feels like an index finger,not the thumb that it should be as in an ape.

No tail or wings though.:(

I do find this very interesting and I'm reading around the general area. I stumbled across this:

Dr Joe Rosen is not a quack. He works at the acclaimed Dartmouth Medical Centre, and has been a scientific advisor to Nasa. He is fond of making statements such as: "Human wings will be here. Mark my words." He believes in all seriousness that within five years he will be able to graft wings on to a human being's body. This is possible because our brains adapt to create neural maps for new body parts. When we have a limb amputated, our neural map of that limb gradually fades away; and if we gain a body part, our neural map expands accordingly.

"If I were to give you wings, you would develop, literally, a winged brain. Our bodies change our brains, and our brains are infinitely mouldable," Rosen has said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/story/0,11381,665328,00.html

Which makes me wonder if this (and that article I posted on phantom limbs) might suggest that as well as your brain adapting to cope with having wings or a tail it could be possible (if you believed it enough) to essentially give yourself a "winged brain"?

For the last year or two I have often felt that there should be another finger on each one of my hands. The feeling is in the same place on both of my hands, and it just feels like something is missing. Like something should be there, but it's not. Sometimes I wonder if I had 12 fingers in a past life. Or maybe I had 12 fingers when born and my parents had them amputated without telling me. Or maybe I'm crazy, I don't know.

We had a 'I feel as I have uinvisible wings' thread somewhere. ;)

I have this. I see myself as having large, leathery wings, and a horn. To the point that I change what I am doing, how I am walking, etc to compensate for the feeling.

For instance, I feel extremely uncomfortable walking under a bridge that is only a little higher than I am tall, to the point that I feel like ducking lest I bash my horn on the ceiling. Usually, I press on and try to ignore the feeling, but it's quite strong.

The first instance of it was when I was getting into a car I had years ago. I started to duck down into the seat when all of a sudden I felt a *very* strong urge that I was going to hit my "horn" on the car door rim, and I jerked myself back. It took several tries of leaning down/jerking back for me to get into the damn car, I think I eventually had to go butt-first because the feeling would just not go away!

This was before I learned about "otherkin" and "therianthropes." And as insane as it seems, I believe in much of what they say (granted, about 75% of it even I think is absolutely nuts, but we're all nutters in some ways, right?).

It may well be some sort of neurological disorder, but I am content with it and don't believe I need "fixing." I know several other people similar to this, as well, and I am open to it being more than "just" a condition, but I also accept that it may be completely mundane. Basically, it's not hurting me, so I'm not too bothered about it.

Sadescha said:
It may well be some sort of neurological disorder, but I am content with it and don't believe I need "fixing." I know several other people similar to this, as well, and I am open to it being more than "just" a condition, but I also accept that it may be completely mundane. Basically, it's not hurting me, so I'm not too bothered about it.

I have to say this fascinates me - if you don't mind I'd love to dig a bit deper. Like have you always felt like this as long as you can remember or did it start out with vague feelings which solidified over time?

Emperor said:
Sadescha said:

I have to say this fascinates me - if you don't mind I'd love to dig a bit deper. Like have you always felt like this as long as you can remember or did it start out with vague feelings which solidified over time?

The best I can describe is that I "became aware" of it over time.

It's not like one day I didn't feel it and the next I did. It's more like I suddenly realised it was there and always had been. Generally, to me the horn feels like a minor "pressure" against my forehead, kind of like if you press a fingertip against your skin lightly. It "feels" to me as though it extends about 8 inches. I often expect to feel it if I wave my hand in front of my face.

My wings (and my claws :roll: ) I became aware of later, years later. Again, they feel like a pressure against my skin. It's rather disconcerting, really.

There's a lot more to it than that, though. For me, therianthopy/otherkinism is a spiritual thing and ties into many beliefs I have had before I learned of these two things.

Therianthopy- the belief that one is an (Earthen) animal incarnated into the body of a human.

Otherkin- basically, everything else. Fey, elves, vampires, dragons, etc.

Therians can be pretty snobby about otherkin, and otherkin can be pretty loopy. I feel excluded from both groups, to be honest. Therians think I am insane, an attention-whore, making it up, living in a fantasy because of my (spiritual) belief that my soul comes from "somewhere else." Otherkin happily accept me, but I don't identify with them because I am not magical or supernatural in nature. And the mundanes just think I am a nut :D

I can go into more if you like, though I admit being a little wary about people demanding I "prove" my beliefs, or telling me I should be happy with a mundane life (when such demands are almost never made of other mainstream religions).

Just a thought, but maybe you were a dragon in a past life (assuming they existed) and that is why you don't feel you fit with either group. You know, like, you don't fit with the therians because you are the reincarnation of a dragon, which is an otherkin, and you don't fit with the otherkin because you are the reincarnation of a dragon instead of an actual dragon. (Could anyone follow that?)

Or maybe the therians are just jealous because your animal is so much more interesting than their's.

RainyOcean said:
Or maybe the therians are just jealous because your animal is so much more interesting than their's.

Hehe. I'm not a dragon. I think I know what I am, and it's not something anyone else has ever seen (but, I know of one other person who is similar to me in what she feels she is). I also don't think they are jealous- I think they are just intollerant because I'm "too weird" or "too out there" for their tastes. They froth at the mouth and demand I explain how it could be possible that I am what I am, or how I know, or "what's the relevenace of this, that, or the other" when my belief is only slightly more complicated than their own. (This all occured in a specific community, though, and doesn't necessarily mean that all therians act this way.)

As for being reincarnated, I'm not sure exactly how it works with me. I know ones woman who believes that her immediately previous life was somewhere else, and that she died before her time, and that's why she remembers so much of what happened before.

My husband, for instance, remembers many of his previous lives, which include a dragon, as well as many mundane things such as a warrior, sailer, things of that nature. He doesn't see himself *as* a dragon, just that it is one of his previous incarnations that he can remember, and al of them are rolled up into a single ball and are a part of him (he also feels wings, and claws, and other things).

For myself, I'm not yet sure how it works. My feelings are very strong, leading me to believe that I have a strong connection to a past life as something else. But I also feel that I have been on this planet for thousands of years, being reincarnated as a human each time. I am long since disconnected to what I once was. Before I ever started thinking about this more, and before I started reading about otherkin, I had a "vision" of a world breaking apart. I don't know where this world was, but I felt an incredible sadness and melancholy as I watched it. I still feel it when I think about what I saw. It had a definate impact on me, and I am convinced that that is where I came from.

I know, it sounds bonkers, but that's what I feel. That vision is what lead me down the path of learning about these other things, and trying to find out more.

Unfortunately, unlike my friend who can (and will) go back "home," I don't believe I have that option.

::cue twilight zone music::

I know what it sounds like to someone looking at what I write from the outside. It sounds completely crazy. ::shrugs:: I know I can't prove it (how could I? I can't make someone else see or feel what I have. All I can do is connect with people who have had similar experiences and try to work out what's really going on). For me, all of these spiritual experiences are extremely personal and internal, which is why I don't generally try to convince other people that it's true. I know I can't. But, for that matter, I can't prove that I have hazel eyes or brown hair, so I'm not worried about that ;)

I've definitly heard crazier sounding stuff. I wouldn't worry about it. May I ask what it is you think you "are" or "were"? (if not, that's fine. Just curious).

RainyOcean said:
I've definitly heard crazier sounding stuff. I wouldn't worry about it. May I ask what it is you think you "are" or "were"? (if not, that's fine. Just curious).

It's difficult to describe without saying "horse/cat hybrid." It's not a hybrid, it just has parts that resemble a horse or cat. It's a hexapodal (6 limbed) creature with a long face, mostly forward facing eyes, rectangular ears, sharp teeth, thick fur, membranous wings, three toes on the front paws with non-retractable claws, stubby hooved back feet, and a long tail. The fur is white/extremely pale, with grey and black rosettes, eyes are green.

I settled on this creature after many visions/dreams of a horned horselike creature, and a winged catlike creature. I couldn't yet conceieve of both creatures as though they were one, so I saw them seperately, then slowly began merging them until I found what "felt right."

Now, when I have visions, it's the above described merged animal. When I have dreams, it's that animal. I no longer see them as seperate.

This is why many therians won't accept me. "Oh, you're just another unicorn! :roll: " they say. No, I'm not. I'm not magical or mythical, or supernatural. No mind reading, healing bodies, curing of poison, immortality (and I don't think a virgin could capture me, either ;) ). It's also why I don't fit in with Otherkin- most Otherkin are supernatural or magical in some way. I'm *just* an animal, if that makes sense.

Oftentimes, I have a very strong urge to just run rampent through a wood on all fours. I feel a very strong urge to hurt down my food and kill it with my teeth. When I am some place high (like on top of a castle wall) I think to myself "I should just be able to jump and glide down." I feel like I should be able to use my claws to tear things, or to grip them into a piece of wood and sharpen them. Again, I say, it's rather disconcerting. I know I can't do all these things, but I feel as though I should. :shock:

Despite all the weirdness, I still like to point and laugh at other people with similar beliefs because they take themselves so seriously, they're so offended when no one will believe them. It's like their wear their "otherness" on their sleeve, just waiting to be offended by someone who asks about it or tells them it's not real.

I guess it'd be the same for Christians who *live* their religioun rather than shoving it around in other people's faces, and just live and let live, versus the ones who go around shouting and hollering and demanding everybody to "look, look at me, aren't I so special!?" I don't think there's anything particularly special about how I feel. It doesn't make me better than anyone else, it just makes me different. And, we're all different, so ::shrug::

That sounds really interesting. Your lucky to have such a firm grasp on what you were. Sometimes I think I must have been a fish or some other sea creature in a past life. I feel a strong connection to water, and as you were saying about feeling as though you should be able to do certain things, I feel like I should be able to swim around in the water freely like a fish or something without having to come up for air. I feel like I should be able to live in the water, but I can't. (please don't laugh, people). You're really lucky to have a specific idea as to what you were instead of a a general feeling.

Yes, I am. I find it also helps to be able to speak with other people who have similar feelings, because then you don't need to worry about people laughing about it. I never speak of this to people who don't show at least minor interest as I'd rather not be given the third degree about how weird I am.

I'm sure you'll eventually figure it out. It can be a long process, but I think it's worthwhile in the end to understand where the feelings come from.

I couldn't find a thread about surgery addiction, so I guess this is the next best thread.
If a mod knows differently of course... ;)

Anyway:

Surgery addict injected oil into her face
12/11/2008 4:10:00 PM. | Richard Maxton

A woman addicted to plastic surgery has been horrifically scarred after injecting cooking oil into her own face in a botched attempt to perform her own cosmetic procedures.

Hang Mioku, 48, becamed hooked after her first plastic surgery 20 years ago, moving to Japan a few years later to satisfy her addiction.

After undergoing multiple surgeries, Hang was eventually barred by Japanese doctors, who warned she might be suffering from a psychological disorder.

Hang moved back to Korea where her parents, who initially didn't recognise their daughter, persuaded her to seek treatment for her addiction.

However, after stopping therapy due to high costs, Hang managed to find a doctor who was willing to give her silicone injections.

She was also given a syringe and her own supply of silicone so she could perform her own injections.

It was when her silicone supply ran out that Hang resorted to injecting cooking oil into her cheeks, bloating her face beyond recognition and discolouring her already damaged skin.

The Daily Telegraph in London reports her face became so large compared to her small body that local children began calling her "standing fan".

Hang's appearances on Korean TV caused viewers to donate money for surgery to try to reduce the size of her face.

The initial procedure alone saw over a quarter of a kilogram of foreign matter removed from Hang's face.
Several subsequent operations were able to reduce the bloating, but failed to elminate her scarring and disfigurement.

Source (With picture...)

I hadn't come across this before...

A 64-year-old woman has reported to doctors at Geneva University Hospital the presence of a pale, milky-white and translucent third arm.

After examining the case, the woman's neurologist, Asaid Khateb of the hospital's experimental neurophysiology laboratory, called the rare phenomenon credible.

The arm appeared to the woman a few days after suffering a stroke, doctors said.

But this case of what is known as a supernumerary phantom limb (SPL) is a genuine head-scratcher.

The upshot is that the woman can use the apparitional extremity to relieve very real itches on the cheek. It cannot penetrate solid objects.

She does not always perceive the arm but "retrieves" it when needed, doctors told the Swiss news agency.

It is nevertheless the first case known to doctors of a person being able to feel, see and deliberately move a limb that doesn't exist. The findings are published in the Annals of Neurology.

Source

Kind of weird though. And despite the posting date, not a hoax either.

escargot1 said:
All children believe they have a tail until the age of two-and-a-half.

You can prove this by asking a young child to point to their nose, ear, chin, tummy etc then slip in the word 'tail'.

A kid below the age will point vaguely behind them, whereas an older one will first frown uncertainly then laugh at you.

I've never found a kid to believe they have wings though, which is probably a good thing. When kids play at flying they generally use their arms as wings.

(They also love to discuss whether they have a beak and if their nose is one!)

I finally got to try the tail question on my two year old. Yep, he quite confidently pointed at his bum.

Wait a few months, then try again. The tail will have miraculously fallen off. ;)

Back