• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Perch Man / Perchman

plastic wiganer

Ephemeral Spectre
Firstly i wasnt sure if to post this here in the water monster section? but as its water related here goes.
Last week whilst browsing Facebook, looking at a UFO group that i follow, there was mention of the Perch man. So as you do i had to look up the story and was very surprised to find that this 'being' was local to me! YAY!!
However, this was the first time i have ever heard of him, fair enough the story relates back to the 80's and i have only lived around here for about 17yrs or so but nobody i know has ever heard of this local legend either? By all accounts, old Perchy used to hang out at some ponds known locally as Deep Pit in Hindley near Wigan, (about 1 mile from my home) from what i can gather he stands upright,was green in colour and had gills, and he would chase people off if they were on his territory.
In the story there was mention of some other areas where he could/would frequent and these actually exist too - i know ALL these areas very well as i have always walked them with the dog(s) unfortunately, ive never seen the Perch man, From now on though i will be exploring the area more thoroughly and i will make sure i post any findings on here (not likely so dont hold your breath)

Here's a YouTube video about the Perchman of Hindley ...

In a small area in Lancashire there is a town called Hindley, and ordinary mill town in the North West of England. Close to the railway station there is an area of greenbelt land that has an urban myth of its own. The fisherman who frequent the area and the kids who play in the woods talk of 'the Perch man' who has red glowing eyes and watches people from the trees and bushes. Generations of kids swear someone they know had been terrified after seeing Perchman, he would watch as they played and then chase them from the trees usually after dark.

Here's a YouTube video about the Perchman of Hindley ...

Thanks for sharing that, i have just watched it, i have been up, over and all around the 'Woochie' (more commonly known as the Wutchie) but never seen hairy legs up a tree! i have seen many deer and other wildlife and will spend much more time up there when the weather improves. The Wutchie is an old slag heap from the mines that were once in the area, it is now heavily overgrown and wooded, it is quite high (about 150 to 200 ft) and about 1/4mile long, there are lots of wooded areas around here which are being reclaimed by mother nature so although i have not seen anything unusual yet - who knows?

Firstly i wasnt sure if to post this here in the water monster section? but as its water related here goes.
Last week whilst browsing Facebook, looking at a UFO group that i follow, there was mention of the Perch man. So as you do i had to look up the story and was very surprised to find that this 'being' was local to me! YAY!!
However, this was the first time i have ever heard of him, fair enough the story relates back to the 80's and i have only lived around here for about 17yrs or so but nobody i know has ever heard of this local legend either? By all accounts, old Perchy used to hang out at some ponds known locally as Deep Pit in Hindley near Wigan, (about 1 mile from my home) from what i can gather he stands upright,was green in colour and had gills, and he would chase people off if they were on his territory.
In the story there was mention of some other areas where he could/would frequent and these actually exist too - i know ALL these areas very well as i have always walked them with the dog(s) unfortunately, ive never seen the Perch man, From now on though i will be exploring the area more thoroughly and i will make sure i post any findings on here (not likely so dont hold your breath)
Dont forget to take your camera :p

Fascinating stuff, I love discovering a new UK cryptid

I often wonder about the scale of such experiences, as it seems to take a researcher to publicly show some interest before the many various reports surface (or resurface). For example, Nick Redfern's investigation into Cannock Chase some 20 years ago unearthed a considerable number of witnesses to paranormal activity in that area, but as Nick moved abroad it's gone quiet again. Personally, I do feel its much more widespread than people think.

For example, Nick Redfern's investigation into Cannock Chase some 20 years ago unearthed a considerable number of witnesses to paranormal activity in that area, but as Nick moved abroad it's gone quiet again.

Hmmm...one could be quite cynical about that! :D

Fascinating stuff, I love discovering a new UK cryptid

I often wonder about the scale of such experiences, as it seems to take a researcher to publicly show some interest before the many various reports surface (or resurface). For example, Nick Redfern's investigation into Cannock Chase some 20 years ago unearthed a considerable number of witnesses to paranormal activity in that area, but as Nick moved abroad it's gone quiet again. Personally, I do feel its much more widespread than people think.

I wonder if you made up some nonsense about some thing or things unexplained in a location and it got some sort of traction - from a writer like Nick or on a podcast or social media; then people would all of a sudden come out of the woodwork with related stories.

Some of these incidents might well be real or at least believed to be real by the witnesses, I suspect things like this might "flush out" stuff people have kept to themselves for a years. Other reports will be more "novel."

Edit- never heard of perch people (this is 2021!) and don't think I've read of "fish people" beyond mermaid- type stories.

Two of my closest friends were born and brought up in Hindley. One still lives there. I’ll send him this and see if it rings any bells for him. It’s not something I’ve ever heard of.

EDIT: In a strange bit of synchronicity, I just realised that about 2 hours ago I was looking at Borsdane Wood on Google Maps for inexplicable reasons. Borsdane Wood https://goo.gl/maps/vE9bh2JL5QHdW8Zr8 I bet it’s not 1/2 mile from the area mentioned, if not the area itself.

Last edited:
Two of my closest friends were born and brought up in Hindley. One still lives there. I’ll send him this and see if it rings any bells for him. It’s not something I’ve ever heard of.

EDIT: In a strange bit of synchronicity, I just realised that about 2 hours ago I was looking at Borsdane Wood on Google Maps for inexplicable reasons. Borsdane Wood https://goo.gl/maps/vE9bh2JL5QHdW8Zr8 I bet it’s not 1/2 mile from the area mentioned, if not the area itself.

Neither friend has heard of the Perchman. It didn’t ring any bells with their dad either.

Deep-Pit-Hindley-Fortean-03.jpg

Pit-02.jpg

Screen-Hunter-267-May-08-13-06.jpg

Hindley Deep Pit in 1978:

X-m1x1de1u.jpg

Pic from Wiganworld

Oddly, Deep Pit has claimed a life:

"A man has been jailed for seven years for killing a teenage boy he had chased into a fishing pond in Wigan.

Dylan Aaron, 17, was pushed into Deep Pit pond in Hindley during a fight with Drew McGrail in May 2010.

Liverpool Crown Court heard how the 27-year-old stood on the bank and refused to let him out, shouting taunts as the teenager struggled in the water.

McGrail [was] cleared of murder, but...convicted of manslaughter."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13528886

maximus otter

Last edited by a moderator:
N
Not sure if it's the same thing but this film about the Cumbrian Dregpike mentions a "Lancashire Perchman". It's around the 6 minute mark.

I believe the Hindley Perchman is a work of fiction. I have searched high and low for references including folklore. I think the video attached shows the inspiration for a flimsy report.

I believe the Hindley Perchman is a work of fiction. I have searched high and low for references including folklore. I think the video attached shows the inspiration for a flimsy report.
I think this comes down to the integrity of researcher Deborah Hatswell. I have read both of her books and she is interviewed in this recent British Bigfoot documentary:

Personally, I just don't know :curt:

Deep-Pit-Hindley-Fortean-03.jpg

Pit-02.jpg

Screen-Hunter-267-May-08-13-06.jpg

Hindley Deep Pit in 1978:

m1x1de1u.jpg

Pic from Wiganworld

Oddly, Deep Pit has claimed a life:

"A man has been jailed for seven years for killing a teenage boy he had chased into a fishing pond in Wigan.

Dylan Aaron, 17, was pushed into Deep Pit pond in Hindley during a fight with Drew McGrail in May 2010.

Liverpool Crown Court heard how the 27-year-old stood on the bank and refused to let him out, shouting taunts as the teenager struggled in the water.

McGrail [was] cleared of murder, but...convicted of manslaughter."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-13528886

maximus otter
That is one of the most horrible and cruelest murders I've ever heard!
Nothing less than First Degree Murder!!

Complete work of fiction.

I asked a friend of mine and his dad who have lived in Hindley all their lives and no the place backwards. Neither of them have heard a thing about it and have asked other friends and acquaintances with the same response.

I have just been on a group page which suggests she is quite violent. I saw this on Paranormal Winter Hill FB page.

View attachment 59084
Crikey

I know @lordmongrove has his reservations about her integrity as in terms of the British Bigfoot. We also have Lee Brickley in this category, still no evidence of his trip to Utah, never mind everything he has claimed

However, does this mean all the reports they have received are bogus? Other researchers such as Nick Redfern also received many such reports of hairy hominids, dogmen, werewolves etc from Cannock Chase and else where in the UK, as did Theo Brown long before him (Dartmoor Hairy Hands, 'cavemen' seen at Lustleigh Cleave etc.).

There have always been some questionable people involved in alt things Fortean.

Also, the Perchman seems a bit random to be complete fiction, I can't think of any precedents out there? If they were claiming a Bigfoot, then yes. I know that back in the 70s some kids in a village near mine claim they saw a bear-like creature in the woods, you will find it on the UK Paranormal Database and I bet it was the talk of the playground back then, but would anyone remember it now...?

Last edited:
I think some reports are genuine. Another suss one is a Bigfoot sighting in Wales were a bloke had his life saved, lots of mind speak and his face stroked in farewell. It is on the map.

I think this comes down to the integrity of researcher Deborah Hatswell. I have read both of her books and she is interviewed in this recent British Bigfoot documentary:

Personally, I just don't know :curt:
As you say, it comes down to integrity. She definitely won't be appearing in Elusive 2. My cat has more chance...and he won't be in it either.

Deborah Hatswell, i have never believed a single thing she has ever said.
You do right. I wouldn't trust her or her questionable account as far as I could spit a rat! Especially since finding a creative writing blog she was doing in 2017. After reading her Bigfoot / mind speak story, I would suggest some of the "witnesses" are imaginary.

Back