• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Perpetual Stew (Pottage; Pot-Au-Feu)

Water is still commonly overlooked as a source of illness. You are cautioned as a foreigner in St. Petersburg never to drink the tap water (2000ish, may have changed).
Years ago, back in the 1980s, I ended up in hospital with a non-specific viral infection, which the hospital thought was most likely caused by something in the drinking water... in Birmingham! Where I'd spent the previous few days.

It did nearly kill me, what with having a temperature of 106.3/41.3 and having lymph nodes and bits of my liver taken out. That is an experience I never want to repeat...

Years ago, back in the 1980s, I ended up in hospital with a non-specific viral infection, which the hospital thought was most likely caused by something in the drinking water... in Birmingham! Where I'd spent the previous few days.

It did nearly kill me, what with having a temperature of 106.3/41.3 and having lymph nodes and bits of my liver taken out. That is an experience I never want to repeat...

What was in the drinking water in Birmingham? :omg:

On Facebook earlier I saw a video about a young bloke who'd suffered sudden explosive diarrhoea after inadvisedly drinking Venezuelan tapwater.
It ruined his cable car ride :sstorm: and although he made light of it, he was lucky not to have contracted cholera.

What was in the drinking water in Birmingham? :omg:

On Facebook earlier I saw a video about a young bloke who'd suffered sudden explosive diarrhoea after inadvisedly drinking Venezuelan tapwater.
It ruined his cable car ride :sstorm: and although he made light of it, he was lucky not to have contracted cholera.
My symptoms resembled Weil's disease, which can be fatal, but they couldn't find a specific cause (vector?). My appendix and the entire area around it was also very inflamed so they took that out with the other bits, but it wasn't appendicitis.

As a result, when I'm travelling in Asia, I'm very, very careful with the drinking water - avoiding salads potentially washed in water for that reason, and hotel buffets. I make a point of eating the local food wherever possible and I'm a big fan of freshly cooked street food, which I've eaten without issue.

The result is that I've spent maybe a year travelling in Asia with only two short spells of illness. I still remember the taste of iodine that I used to purify drinking water a year after I was hospitalised in the UK. I was taking no chances.

I'm a big fan of freshly cooked street food, which I've eaten without issue.
A relation of mine had a bad case of hepatitis in India which he blamed on street food. A fried egg, of all things.
But Brummie tap water should be trustworthy.

Food poisoning in the West is not uncommon - when I was in college I was hit with something that made me sleep on the floor of the bathroom because getting up and down got just too onerous. When I made my completely empty way to the infirmary the next morning there was a line of other kids in fetal positions - the clerk had a clipboard and said "Did you have a roast beef sandwich at Elsie's yesterday?" "Yes" Check. Paratyphoid, which thankfully only lasts a day or so. Elsie's was nevertheless a great hangout. It happens.

Food poisoning in the West is not uncommon - when I was in college I was hit with something that made me sleep on the floor of the bathroom because getting up and down got just too onerous. When I made my completely empty way to the infirmary the next morning there was a line of other kids in fetal positions - the clerk had a clipboard and said "Did you have a roast beef sandwich at Elsie's yesterday?" "Yes" Check. Paratyphoid, which thankfully only lasts a day or so. Elsie's was nevertheless a great hangout. It happens.
I've had a few bouts of food poisoning over the years. In all cases (apart from 1), it's been because I ate a takeaway of some description.
Never got ill after eating food I'd cooked myself. The one time I got ill from eating a non-takeaway was when the family visited my auntie Carole and she cooked some chicken drumsticks in the microwave (a complete no-no). Interestingly, none of the takeaways that made me ill were Indian (despite the popular image of people who get Delhi-belly).
I am very careful now, as I'm old and grey-haired. I don't know what laid me low last year.

There's supposedly a 40 year old perpetual stew going on in Bangkok. But I've read somewhere it has been debunked. It's new every day.

I've had a few bouts of food poisoning over the years. In all cases (apart from 1), it's been because I ate a takeaway of some description.
Never got ill after eating food I'd cooked myself. The one time I got ill from eating a non-takeaway was when the family visited my auntie Carole and she cooked some chicken drumsticks in the microwave (a complete no-no). Interestingly, none of the takeaways that made me ill were Indian (despite the popular image of people who get Delhi-belly).
I am very careful now, as I'm old and grey-haired. I don't know what laid me low last year.
As Techy's aged mother was starting with the dementia she thought the microwave was an actual oven. When she wasn't roasting meat in it and burning it out (she got through three that way) she'd reheat half-eaten ready meals and give herself food poisoning.

As Techy's aged mother was starting with the dementia she thought the microwave was an actual oven. When she wasn't roasting meat in it and burning it out (she got through three that way) she'd reheat half-eaten ready meals and give herself food poisoning.
Rice and pasta does not always survive to the next day even if it's in the fridge.

Back