• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Perseids (Perseid Meteor Shower)

I was lucky to see quite a few this year thanks to cloudless skies over the past week.

Just a 'bump' to remind people that the Perseids activity peaks tonight.
Yes I heard about this on my radio on my way to work this morning. I have too much light to see them. And I'm working this weekend so won't be staying up late nor travelling to see them:(

I met my wife on a journey out into the Pennines to watch the Perseids; about six or seven of us left the pub, and I saw a meteor; we all piled into an old car and went up into the hills around Ladybower, and watched them till two o'clock in the morning.
I wrote this, way back in 2004, before this site was re-organised.
The trip to the Pennines happened back in 1978. That night I saw the first meteor just as we came out of the pub (the Lescar, in Sharrowvale). About midnight we saw loads of really good ones.

Too cloudy here last night, but as it was the 'peak' of activity we have a continuing, though lessening, chance over the next few nights.

I was out last night at midnight, clear skies but nothing I could see. Will repeat tonight (I'm on a late shift and the last dog walk is about midnight), so hope for clear skies again, although the forecast seems to be against us.

Back