• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Personal Information On Threads

I'm afraid that we recommend everyone is careful about what personal information they give away about themselves on here (and elsewhere).

Obviously if you want to post personal info and are aware of the risks then we can't stop you. However, posting identifiable information about other people is a no no still.

We have had a lot of trouble in the past with people being able to drag up personal information and posting it on the boards. While we hope that those kinds of problems are behind us now it's also wise not to get lulled into a false sense of security - there are still plenty of unsavory types out there who'd just love some little nugget of information.

Thank you, Emps... for this one I'll chuck my usually bold attitude towards blind faith and go with you. You're probably much more learned in this regard, and it's one thing I hope I never have to know more about.

Gemaki said:
Thank you, Emps... for this one I'll chuck my usually bold attitude towards blind faith and go with you. You're probably much more learned in this regard, and it's one thing I hope I never have to know more about.

I should point out that I do err on the side of caution with such things (always best to I suppose) and do things like shred all my documents before binning them (in my defence I never bought th shredder it was an odd present from an uncle). I'd rather do my best to head off identity theft (and cyberstalking and related nastiness of this modern age) before it happens ;)

Mighty_Emperor said:
do things like shred all my documents before binning them (in my defence I never bought th shredder it was an odd present from an uncle).

I sometimes enjoy a good fire, under the guise of "destroying personal documents". Gets a bit sooty though.

Electric_Monk said:
Mighty_Emperor said:
do things like shred all my documents before binning them (in my defence I never bought th shredder it was an odd present from an uncle).

I sometimes enjoy a good fire, under the guise of "destroying personal documents". Gets a bit sooty though.

And you know the police have told you that you shouldn't go round to people's houses and do it without their permission ;)

Leaferne said:
It kills me to say this, but I do think sometimes women do have to be a bit more careful than men.

I think both should be really careful... men too. A lot of adult males (including a close relative of mine) go missing or get hurt every year, you just don't hear about them as often. Don't let your guard down guys. Or girls. :(

I think both should be really careful... men too. A lot of adult males (including a close relative of mine) go missing or get hurt every year, you just don't hear about them as often. Don't let your guard down guys. Or girls.

It's true - and young men in particular are in far more danger of violent attacks by strangers than women. In my view a lot of the hysteria about crime is aimed at keeping women under control and too afraid to do things that men do all the time (eg go out alone after dark, go to a bar on their own etc).

It also makes women somewhat culpable if they're attacked--"Well, what was she doing there by herself at 2 a.m.? What did she expect?"

Quake42 said:
In my view a lot of the hysteria about crime is aimed at keeping women under control and too afraid to do things that men do all the time (eg go out alone after dark, go to a bar on their own etc).

It's not a Girl Power issue.

It's just common sense. A man might well get punched, but he most likely won't be raped. Of course, it's not down to a woman to change her behaviour to pander to a nasty society which needs to clean its house, but it's certainly wise to be aware of identifiable risks and make the calculations.

while men are less likley to be raped,you never know if a purple acky(sp?) is reading your web stuff :shock:

citizencane said:
while men are less likley to be raped,you never know if a purple acky(sp?) is reading your web stuff :shock:

I'm pretty sure he isn't. He was prosecuted and imprisoned. Search for the thread if you're interested.

Yes, Iread the thread before, I was meaning a Purple acki type of person,
rather than the original perve. I am sure there are acki's of many colors out there.

It's just common sense. A man might well get punched but he most likely won't be raped. Of course, it's not down to a woman to change her behaviour to pander to a nasty society which needs to clean it's house, but it's wise to be aware of identifiable risks and make the calculations.

Certainly, but as Leaferne says it's the reaction of others that can be quite telling.

As an example, a friend of mine was having some difficulties a few years ago. At the time she was working two jobs - an office role in the daytime and a bar worker in the evening. One night she had just finished her second shift and decided to call into a pub which had a late licence for a quick pint before she went home. One of the staff at this pub got chatting to her, seemed a nice chap and offered to walk her home as it was late and the area was known to suffer from muggings etc. She agreed to this and all was well until a few days later when the man turned up in the middle of the night banging on her door, demanding to be let in etc. This stalking continued for several weeks and she was, understandably, fairly scared and shaken up.

However when she mentioned this to some of her colleagues in the office the reaction was along the lines of "what do you expect" and "why were you taking risks like that, you're asking for trouble" etc etc.

Somehow I doubt that a man who had popped into a pub for a quiet drink on his own would be judged as having put himself at unreasonable risk!

I'd advise folks to be careful whenever possible, but personally I don't give a monkeys who finds out who I am.

"Come and have a go" has always been my philosophy, but I am a grimy SE Londoner now playing with guns in VA. Hehehehe.

Besides, my website has had my full name and pictures of me and mine in various states of decay for years, no probs!

It's not just the web ya gotta be careful on though. I heard a clanging noise in the hallway of my apartment building the other night and popped down there, in my boxers with a lit cigarette and a beer, to see what was going on.

When the guy who was trying to open one of the mailboxes recovered from the shock of half-naked smoking beer swilling limey, he tried on some old excuse then kindly allowed me to throw him out. I suspect he wont be coming back!

Oooooh look. It's Beer O Clock already!

Back