• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Personal Mutations

MrRING

Android Futureman
Do any of you have physical traits in your family tree that seem to be a personal mutation? Not anything horrible, but interesting quirks that are passed on from generation to generation.

For me, the most interesting thing is a tendency in my Dad's side of the family for the 4th toe (next to the "pinkie") to be curled. My Dad has it, his mom had it before him, and me & my brothers all have this seemingly harmless feature. If we were "back to nature" living pre-industry, the way the nail gets rubbed off and occasionally cuts the bottom of the third toe might have left us more open to infection and thus could have become a feature that was against our genetic stock continuing... but unless it devloped after the advent of the shoe, it probably isn't a major factor for anything.

From my mum's side, extremely flexible joints, and from my dad's side, a weird greenish-blue eye colour which I've never seen on anyone else outside my gene pool.

Leaferne said:
From my mum's side, extremely flexible joints, and from my dad's side, a weird greenish-blue eye colour which I've never seen on anyone else outside my gene pool.

Are we related? I got exactly the same and from exactly the same sides of the family. My parents and myself were born in the US, but the grandparent families came from Wales (father's side) and Cornwall (mother's side).

My mom has honey-brown eyes, but the irises are sorrounded with a darker ring of brown. My eyes are the same, but my eyes are darker browm and the ring is almost black. Also, my nails are round and short. It doesn't look too weird, but it's certanly not very common, since I haven't seen anybody else with nails like mine.

And I am leaving the best for last. I am very hairy, and have been the same since I was probably 10 years old. My boy has a line of fine hair running on his back, and he seems like he's going to be as hairy as his old man.

Onix_Martinez said:
And I am leaving the best for last. I am very hairy, and have been the same since I was probably 10 years old. My boy has a line of fine hair running on his back, and he seems like he's going to be as hairy as his old man.

Note to self, do not allow Onix to use my shower as I will be cleaning the plughole out for weeks afterwards.... :D

Strictly speaking, what's being discussed here is inherited variations.
(Some of these may have started as mutations, many moons ago, but not necessarily, as the human genome can express itself in a very wide variety of ways.)

If you have a genuine mutation, it would probably be quite different from your parents' features.

My daughter takes after me in general build and facial features, but my son takes after his mother's side of the family.

Heckler20 said:
Onix_Martinez said:

Note to self, do not allow Onix to use my shower as I will be cleaning the plughole out for weeks afterwards.... :D

One of my roomates was so freaked out about the hair that he asked me to remove the hair from the plughole after every shower. I changed the cover instead, a more practical solution. :lol:

me, my mother and grandmother all started with very fair hair which by our teens had turned brown.

Im hoping I wont end up with mousy coloured hair like my mother had in later life.

Instead I want to be like my great aunt (nans sister) who went to her grave with still brown hair. (nans went white at the usual age)

Not me but an ex boyfriend has a hole at the base of his spine! It was just at the top of his (excuse my) bum crack and looked like a shallow belly button. Just below that his (sorry) bum crack starts and then there is another similar hole.
His father and grandfather have the same thing!

My dad, sister and myself are all missing the teeth that should be between the two front teeth and canines, so our canines are right next to the two front teeth.

We all had them in baby teeth form, but the adult teeth never came through. One dentist told us that it may be an evolutionary thing, since apparently those teeth aren't particularly useful anyway.

liveinabin,that sounds a bit like spinabifida occulta to me.

I hope they`ve had no health probs because of it. :shock:

Nope, all seemed fine and healthy. I'm not in touch with this person any more to pass that on. I guess any problems would have been picked up by now.

I've just googled it and it seems you are right.
Odd how this wasn't picked up by the persons doctor when he was a baby.

rynner said:
My daughter takes after me in general build and facial features, but my son takes after his mother's side of the family.

That's interesting. I've noticed that many people seem to inherit facial traits that are cross-gender (daughters from fathers, sons from mothers).

Wish that weren't so -- my mother had beautiful, curly, chestnut-colored hair and looked like a movie star (although short in stature). I got the straight mouse-colored hair and a build that says "Hey, she can pull a plow all right!" My husband got his mother's almost black, curly hair, dark eyes, eyebrow ridge, and olive skin, but his 6-foot height from his dad.

I got height from my Dad's side, but my features from my mothers (balding hairy dark Scotch). Each brother is a little different though, my older brother is more like Dad's side but with more Mom's height (shorter), and my younger brother is more like my Dad's mother's family (tall blond Germanic types).

If you were to line my family up you wouldn't believe we had the same parents or indeed related at all, cue lots of jokes about milkmen which used to wind my mother up something rotten. There's only one bro' that I resemble. My eldest neice otoh is now my doppleganger and we get mistaken for being sisters even though as children we hardly looked alike, she being blonde while I was a brunette.

I was regularly told that I had my maternal grandmother's eyes which would scare me as a child (think about it) but the only thing I have in common with my mother is that we have crooked little fingers on both hands. I thankfully did not inherit the weird ear thing that her side of the family have - extended ear lobes - nor (thank god) did I inherit the sticky-out ears that most on my dad's side have although my 2nd eldest bro did as well as my father's brown eyes, black hair and olive/mediterranean skin colour. The rest of us have blue eyes and a fairer colouring. The only things I inherited from my father were his temper, stubborness, weird blood type and his favourite grey cardigan :)

My poor toddler neice has unfortunately inherited her father's feet which I noticed the other evening. He is the youngest of the brothers and has awful claw-like toes, almost simian in that they are over-long and can be used almost as he would use his fingers*. That's his party trick, to pick items up with them and cross them as you would your fingers. She had rested her bare foot on my arm and her toes nearly wrapped right around my wrist. :cross eye

*bro' if you ever read this, soz but your feet are skanky

I'm a ringer for my Da, the nose, eyes, cheekbones and mouth, but got my Ma's height (or lack of it).
On a wierder note, a serious accident as a sprog lead to my wrists being slashed, lots of blood, severed arteries, muscle damage, etc and a severed tendon in my left wrist. This was never repaired, but my hand works perfectly. The docs informed my Da it was a 'spare'? Don't know if everybody has one, but I'm thankful I do.*

*I'm also thankful to the Blood Transfusion Service, as I had lots pumped into me that day, it undoubtedly saved my life. If possible please Give Blood, details for the UK and Ireland are here (England and Wales), here (Scotland), here (Northern Ireland) and here (Ireland), thank you :D .

My parents have the same eye and hair colour, which is kind of unsettling when you live in a small town. :p I was born with jet black hair which turned platinum as I was a toddler, and then gradually turned different shades of brown. Now it's a neutral-to-cool toned brown. I have much lighter skin than either of them, but my facial features are REALLY close to my mom, and my maternal aunt looks a lot like my mom as well, and our voices are all similar. It's creepy, LOL.

I just remembered that my sister and my cousin both have a small mole on the bottom of the same foot in the exact same spot! It's really quite amazing!

GreenJeanz1 said:
I was born with jet black hair which turned platinum as I was a toddler, and then gradually turned different shades of brown. Now it's a neutral-to-cool toned brown.

Me too! Jet black to platinum blond, then different shades of brown - it's now a sort of greyish light brown that actually looks kind of greenish (but only when I've just washed it, blow-dried it and then walked out into natural sunlight :) )

A mate of mine has a dark mole in the center of his chest, and a matching one on his back at exactly the same position.

I have brown eyes, but as it approaches summer, one of them starts to turn green, then back to brown as it approaches winter.

I was born with platinum blond hair (i.e.--White), but it has since turned to a nice copper color. I don't mean brown, I mean that when you hold it up to the sunlight it really looks metallic copper. I never have figured this out as neither of my parents have blond hair and my mom is straight brunette.

Edit: My eyes also change from Blue to Gray to Green and then back again. I think it has something to do with the seasons.

liveinabin,Hi.
I`m so glad to hear it.

My son was born with what we were told was spinabifida occulta,but by 4 months old his dents were leaking spinal fluid,and an MRI scan showed that he had full blown spinabifida.

5 years down the line several operations and two lots of bacterial menengitis later,things are finally looking up for him.

I`d advise anyone who spots "dents" on a baby`s lower back to insist on getting it thouroughly investigated,we were lucky,but so many people were definately not.

By the way,my llovely little chap has a bithmark on the side of his foot.In exactly the same place as his equally lovely dad. :shock:

liveinabin1 said:
Not me but an ex boyfriend has a hole at the base of his spine! It was just at the top of his (excuse my) bum crack and looked like a shallow belly button. Just below that his (sorry) bum crack starts and then there is another similar hole.
His father and grandfather have the same thing!

Hey! I have that! NEver thought it was weird though, until you mentioned it, so I went in and investigated the bf's bum (amid complaints and weird looks as he WAS asleep when I randomely shoved him over) and he doesn't have it. How cool, I never knew I had anything unusual.

Edit: Just noticed the edit above and remembered my eyes do the same. Seems to have something to do with my moods though, hazel when normal, brown sometimes and green when I've been crying heaps.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, my birthmark is on my butt, and when my butt was at a smaller size :)P) the birthmark looked like a kiss.

Back